Why Smokey Yunick Is Not In the NASCAR HOF

Goldsmith-At-Daytona-1957-Yunick-Chevrolet.jpg

Paul Goldsmith on The Beach Course

^ ^ Perhaps I'll get a second wind during the weekend's racing.

Definitely a favorite subject.
I hope so...... I never get tired of Smokey..... I bought his 3 book set several years ago....... They are amazing.... but... really hard to read because he wouldn't let anyone help him with them..... as far as organization...... they jump back and forth all over the gamut of his life... every 30th word is a cuss word........... LOL..........

^ Well, I meant it as a question... Do you think a 7/8 or maybe 15/16 car actually was built? (I have always wondered how it would escape detection.)

DAMN!! What a great thread with some special pictures!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! I wish we had more of these discussions from people who remember how things were and who the main players were with articles and photos. I saved every Grand National Scene and National Speed Sport News for more than twenty-five years and went through them cover to cover finding them a valuable piece of information and history. Probably the only articles I ever read more than once and trust me when I say I've read a lot of stuff. Not all of it sunk in but I read it anyway. ;). Then came moving day to our retirement home which meant begging racing friends in an effort to see if they wanted those old copies and no one did so they ended up in the recycle bin and are, most likely, todays newspapers or grocery store bags.

Heh, heh.....

Don't think I've ever mentioned Grand National Scene on this forum. Didn't think anyone except me would be old enough to remember what it was.

^ Well, I meant it as a question... Do you think a 7/8 or maybe 15/16 car actually was built? (I have always wondered how it would escape detection.)
This is the West Sir....

Exactly. Mythical figures create myths without lifting a finger. I bought this one and enjoyed it. :cool:

The comparator makes it clear that the car wasn't hand-built to a smaller scale, but it is sliced and diced. Moving the wheel openings forward 2" is the most obvious modification. Like all of his cars, the build quality of this one is amazing considering the time period. Yunick's cars were finished as well as the cars that come out of current shops.

National Speed Sport News was a staple around my house --- waaaaay back when.

Growing up and spending my formative years living in New Jersey, news of NASCAR racing was hard to come by. National Speed Sport News was published in Paterson, about 35 miles from my home in western NJ near the PA/NY/NJ border, it was Thursday or Friday. They were running two and three NASCAR races each week at times back then. Grand National Scene and writer Joe Whitlock were a periodical I looked forward to every week. There has never been, IMPO, a better writer than Joe Whitlock. Sadly, not a whole lot of people remember him but he really wrote a great story. Not good, but great.

I was looking at some pictures on Pinterest this morning and one of them had a link to this thread. A pleasant surprise.

6 1/2 years have gone by and Smokey Yunick is still not in the NASCAR Hall.

Blasphemy!

A claim for a a mea culpa acknowledging my failure to mention it wasn't that long ago Winston Cup Scene was known as Grand National Scene, a fact I overlooked in the above soliloquy.

A claim for a a mea culpa acknowledging my failure to mention it wasn't that long ago Winston Cup Scene was known as Grand National Scene, a fact I overlooked in the above soliloquy.
I wish I’d known of this forum or you earlier in time; I wasn’t around for magazines of that time period but I would have volunteered to try and save some of those from the bin! I have a few from 2014-16, when the new system was introduced without stages… that’s about it in terms of reading material. Likely won’t be the last though!

I have the Winston cup scene
Dedicated to Davey Allison after he died

Heh, heh.....

Don't think I've ever mentioned Grand National Scene on this forum. Didn't think anyone except me would be old enough to remember what it was.
Yes. There are some "old farts" here with you. My memory isn't up to par on a lot of the details as there was a time when I could recall every race and particulars of those races but they seem so long ago and remote.
Now I can still remember some of the things that connected to other happenings, but for the most part, fine details are lacking. I only remembered the qualifying position of the #52, Jimmy Mean's car and pole winner Rusty Wallace of the race in Atlanta because of the storm keeping them fresh in my mind. Any more I have all I can do to keep the car numbers and driver of those cars matched up.
Maybe all of us over 80 should get together and have a rallying cry: "Old guys, untie!!" ;)

Back
Top Bottom