Will Larson top Gordon's 1998 season?

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
Four wins in a row (three points wins), four wins this season, winning all these races in unbelievably dominant fashion... will it slow down or is Kyle Larson destined for 13+ wins?

He certainly has a chance right now, he is on fire

Four wins in a row (three points wins), four wins this season, winning all these races in unbelievably dominant fashion... will it slow down or is Kyle Larson destined for 13+ wins?
Not a chance in hell lol.

I think 8-10 is reasonable though.

And of course, he needs to wrap it up with a title.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think the low downforce high HP horsepower just gives the 5 team even more of an advantage. The 5 is clearly the best car right now.

In a package where driver input matters, and they gotta drive with throttle? Forget it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

And of course, he needs to wrap it up with a title.

I'd say winning 13 races would be equally impressive to 1998 with or without a title.

That's the abomination of this welfare points system. Larson only has a 6.25% chance of winning the championship right now and, assuming he makes it through the first three rounds of the playoffs, he has only a 25% chance of winning the championship.

To hit 13? We got a looonnng way to go. He’s hot though right now, still a lot of season left

Just for reference

1998 Gordon
Season length: 33 races
Wins: 13
Top 5: 26
Top 10: 28
Average Finish: 5.7
Did Not Finish: 2

2021 Larson (to date)
Season length: 36 races
Wins: 3
Top 5: 9
Top 10: 11
Average Finish: 10.8

With the remaining number of races in the season he mathematically has a chance, but realistically I don’t see it. He’s had too slow of a start to the season to start pumping out numbers like Gordon did in 1998.

5 wins this year already is a pretty nice comeback even if he doesn't win another race for the rest of the regular season. That is not counting all of the 2nd place finishes he got before he started on his winning streak.

Just for reference

1998 Gordon
Season length: 33 races
Wins: 13
Top 5: 26
Top 10: 28
Average Finish: 5.7

2021 Larson (to date)
Season length: 36 races
Wins: 3
Top 5: 9
Top 10: 11
Average Finish: 10.8

With the remaining number of races in the season he mathematically has a chance, but realistically I don’t see it. He’s had too slow of a start to the season to start pumping out numbers like Gordon did in 1998.
Pretty sure Larson has 4 W’s so far.

Let’s not forget, Harvick also went on a tear last year once they came back, and stalled out at 9 wins. Let’s get to 10 before we ask this question.

Larson has over 1400 laps led this season already with 4 wins, over 2200 with 8 wins and he's in Truex 2017 territory (still a true a** kicking on the field)

I'd like to see him get to that point first.

Will Larson top Gordon's 1998 season?​

I do not see why not. His natural talent is coming to light since finally getting in top tear equipment. All I know is, it is sure fun to watch him paddle that ass. :beerbang:

He won't top Gordon's '98, but I don't think anyone will again in this era of NASCAR. The competition at the top is just too close.
It was the same way when Gordon did it. It could be done. Things have to really fall into place to top it or even match it.

Talk about hitting the ground running.

Another factoid, that was Valvoline's first win as a primary since 2002. The last win? Johnny Benson's win at Rockingham at the Pop Secret 400 that season.
I feel like you took my thunder, I posted this up above :rolleyes: ;) :Dand....... I looked it up, so you dont have to. The Countdown has hit zero
1624295708797.png

While true, it’s not unheard of.

Between the ages of 23 and 27, Gordon won 47 races.

I really don’t think we’ll ever see a 5 year stretch like Gordon’s 1995 - 1999 seasons ever again.

You’re probably right. Consistency is so so hard, Kevin Harvick is a great example. Dude won 9 races last year, but slipped down the stretch and hasn’t been able to win yet this year

Over the past year, anyone who has followed Larson has probably seen the most incredible racing results of our time. If he breaks records, great. If not so be it. I am just enjoying this special moment in racing history and so glad to be able to watch this happen.

Gordon had 9 wins in the last 16 races of 1998. There are 19 races left this season, I can easily see a double digit win mark for Larson.

The sad thing is
Larson could win 13 races or more
and not make the final 4 in Phoenix
True but everyone will have known he was here. I think he is only 10 points away from being #1 in points in his first year back in a cup car for a new team. :D

True but everyone will have known he was here. I think he is only 10 points away from being #1 in points in his first year back in a cup car for a new team. :D
The supermajority of the fanbase was fine with this last year when Harvick won nine races and didn't win the championship because they got the result they wanted.

A good chunk of fans only want Larson to win because he's the "cAnCeL cUlTuRe ChAmPiOn."

NASCAR gave the fans what they wanted last year and now they're at a crossroads.

The supermajority of the fanbase was fine with this last year when Harvick won nine races and didn't win the championship because they got the result they wanted.

A good chunk of fans only want Larson to win because he's the "cAnCeL cUlTuRe ChAmPiOn."

NASCAR gave the fans what they wanted last year and now they're at a crossroads.
Giving Stugotz a run for his money on being the hot take diva.

Back
Top Bottom