Windows updates

2 Sweet

HMS 4-life
What the hell is with Windows constantly needing to download/install updates lately? It's almost every day now. Usually it automatically restarts my laptop when I try to use it, blue screen says something like "Stage 2 of 23...setting up updates" or whatever. 15-20 minutes later it's finally "done" and fires up, but even then it's slow/laggy as hell for about an hour afterwards as I'm sure Windows has all kinds of nonsense still going on in the background.

Then when it's finally done with it's pointless BS, all is well, the laptop runs fast and flawless....for about another day. Then it's rinse and repeat. More updates again, yay!

Now I have one of the long updates, God only knows how long this will be.....

Slwqbxal.jpg

What's the point? Why are all these constant "updates" necessary? They make the laptop borderline useless. I should have the option to decline any/all updates if I so choose. I'm sure Microsoft would say that's a "bad idea" due to security purposes or whatever, but I don't buy it.

I still have my old laptop from 2005 with Windows XP that I occasionally use when I'm out in the garage. It wasn't a fast laptop even when it was new, but guess what? Over a decade later and it's working a hell of a lot better than my 6 month old SSD laptop with this Windows 10 garbage.

Just wait till you get to be one of the lucky one's that after an update, File Explorer wont load at start up leaving you with a powered on paper weight. ( its an easy fix though)

I really like W10, but I hate the forced auto updates that break more **** then it fixes.

Agreed, can't stand W10. On a laptop, if you unplug the power adapter before shutting down, updates will not run. But as soon as you plug it back in, they will queue up. It's designed so that it won't run updates while on battery, such that if a battery fails, it won't destroy the operating system.

But yes, security patches seem to be every other day lately.

Just wait till you get to be one of the lucky one's that after an update, File Explorer wont load at start up leaving you with a powered on paper weight. ( its an easy fix though)

I really like W10, but I hate the forced auto updates that break more sh!t then it fixes.
It was a difficult choice to agree to auto updates. It is what it is and I have other life problems that also piss me off. :)

I really like W10, but I hate the forced auto updates that break more sh!t then it fixes.

Why can't they just release one monthly update? What's actually being "updated" anyway? I don't believe that it's all for security purposes.

This is the bad side of technology. You can't just use your electronic devices when you want anymore. If you have an Xbox One, you can't just buy a game and play it. You put the disc in, wait for it to download and install whatever, then update the game before you've even played it once. Two hours later you can finally play the damn game. Whatever happened to beta testing? Why can't anyone release a finished product anymore without it constantly needing updates/fixes?

Agreed, can't stand W10. On a laptop, if you unplug the power adapter before shutting down, updates will not run. But as soon as you plug it back in, they will queue up. It's designed so that it won't run updates while on battery, such that if a battery fails, it won't destroy the operating system.

But yes, security patches seem to be every other day lately.
I think it’s somewhat reassuring that security updates frequently occur. An inconvenience for sure but beats the alternative.

It was a difficult choice to agree to auto updates. It is what it is and I have other life problems that also piss me off. :)
For the most part , it hasnt been a issue, just the last few updates , outside of that I have had very to little to bitch about W10 since I updated the last month of the free year period. I wouldnt mind the auto updates if the Home version had the same control over them as the business/enterprise version do.

You are 100% correct, I have a few other things right now that are pissing me off more.

Why can't they just release one monthly update? What's actually being "updated" anyway? I don't believe that it's all for security purposes.

This is the bad side of technology. You can't just use your electronic devices when you want anymore. If you have an Xbox One, you can't just buy a game and play it. You put the disc in, wait for it to download and install whatever, then update the game before you've even played it once. Two hours later you can finally play the damn game. Whatever happened to beta testing? Why can't anyone release a finished product anymore without it constantly needing updates/fixes?
Q1, I have no idea, you can find out if you really want to know , but it takes some digging , or a Google search but you can find out what they are updating with each update.

I LOVE technology but there is a downside to it , its one of those things where you have to take the good with the bad. Its not just limited to XB1, its the same for Playstation as well. There is no incentive to release 100% finished product now that updates can be pushed out whenever need be, its the new way of life.

I think it’s somewhat reassuring that security updates frequently occur. An inconvenience for sure but beats the alternative.
That is the upside to the auto updates, not having to worry about getting those security patched updated, for that , I dont mind it.

I had one awhile back kept looping for like 2 hours and locked up my puter. I finally had to unhook from the web before I could reboot.

I use my laptop only when we go on trips a few times a year. After It's been idle for a couple of month's or more It takes a couple of days for it to catch up on updates. I start getting it up to date a few day's before we leave. Pain in the butt.

As the internet has grown bad people have found more ways of exploiting things. Microsoft has to plug the leaks - it is kinda like NASCAR constantly stopping race team "innovations".
The latest Win 10 update prevents my main productivity application from printing - I'm not happy.

Adobe flashplayer is required to run raceview. A couple of month's ago a microsoft update blocked it from working and I was pissed. I finally found out how to bypass the block but it was a mess.

Updates=PITA
New to me refurbed Dell laptop. Fresh install of Win10. A week later I got that update screen, 2 hours later.. PITA

On my old laptop, I was able to opt out of updates. I'm not able to do the same on my new Windows 10 laptop.

However... I've been getting error messages lately that say "Windows cannot install updates."

Turns out, there's no longer enough space on my Solid State Drive to install updates. It's almost filled to capacity with my operating system and programs.

That's a wonderful thing as far as I'm concerned. :) :) :) My laptop also has a Hard Drive, so it has plenty of space for documents and videos.

About 3 weeks ago the updates fried my laptop. All I had left was a black screen
with the trash can icon in the corner. Mouse would not work. So to the tech it went
and a full rebuild was needed. $135.00 later. Thanks a pant load Microsoft.

The updates annoy me too - they just dump on you without giving you any option on accepting them or doing it later.
I try to run my laptop late at night or early in the morning so it will pick up updates... otherwise if they arrive while I'm at a customer's site I get stuck when I need to leave... often have to leave anyway (before the updates are finished) and hope that my laptop won't brick when I get it home and reconnected.

Since my last post, they found a way to shove an update down my throat. :bazooka:<_<

However, since then, I've received another error message saying they can't install updates.

Back
Top Bottom