Wisconsin Deer Hunters

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
HAYWARD, Wis. (AP) - A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three injured, officials said.

The alleged gunman, a man from the Twin Cities area, was arrested Sunday afternoon at the line between Rusk and Sawyer counties, according to Sawyer County sheriff's officials.

The violence began shortly after a hunting party saw a hunter occupying their tree stand, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle told KSTP-TV of St. Paul, Minn. A confrontation and shooting followed.

One of the shooting victims radioed back to the deer shack for help, he said. When more hunters came to the scene, they also were shot, Zeigle said.

The shootings happened in the town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County, County Sheriff James Meier said in a news release. Three people were taken to a local hospital, Meier said.

The three wounded were taken to hospitals in Marshfield and Rice Lake, where officials said one was in critical condition, one was serious and one was fair.

Wisconsin's deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters.

After they got word of a shooting, it took him and others about three hours to round up the rest of their party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," he said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

The incident won't stop their hunt, Wagner said.

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds."

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press.

The nut case is in jail awaiting a psychiatric exam. There have been no further updates on the 3 guys in the hospital. This is just really, really bad.:(

This nimrod gives hunters everywhere a bad name. You KNOW the anti-gun freaks are gonna go whole hog on this one...

We may never know exactly what went on at that tree stand. I understand the bunch ran or scared off the one guy and he came back in a while and opened up on them. We will be very lucky to ever know what was said or done. They may have thrown down on him first and ran him off at gun point. I doubt the survivors would ever admit that. I am curious however.
Betsy

Betsy said:
We may never know exactly what went on at that tree stand. I understand the bunch ran or scared off the one guy and he came back in a while and opened up on them. We will be very lucky to ever know what was said or done. They may have thrown down on him first and ran him off at gun point. I doubt the survivors would ever admit that. I am curious however.
Betsy

A little more detailed report.... Link

Even if he was scared off, does that give him a reason to come back and start shooting? I think not.

Deer hunting with a 7.62X39 SKS rifle.

Not exactly my choice if I were a deer hunter.

This guy has got to be a fruit loop.

Guido said:
Deer hunting with a 7.62X39 SKS rifle.

Not exactly my choice if I were a deer hunter.

This guy has got to be a fruit loop.

You would be suprised how many wackos come out at hunting season.

I see nothing wrong if a person want to deer hunt with a SKS. a .243 can kill someone just as easy as a SKS.

I got a 9mm rifle i'm goin to take deer hunting one day so does that make me to crazy and insane to go hunting?

**i used someone, as in the guy could of had any gun and done the same thing.**

Lap3Forever said:
I see nothing wrong if a person want to deer hunt with a SKS. a .243 can kill someone just as easy as a SKS.

I got a 9mm rifle i'm goin to take deer hunting one day so does that make me to crazy and insane to go hunting?

No, just 1 step closer. Just kidding. I think anyone should be able to take what they want.

Bucky Badger said:
No, just 1 step closer. Just kidding. I think anyone should be able to take what they want.

You beat me to it.... :D

A 7.62 round is about the same as a 30.06. Not really concerned with the weapon, but I wonder if he actually went out looking for deer...

Bucky Badger said:
You would be suprised how many wackos come out at hunting season.

No, I wouldn't.

I've seen them at the firing range too.

I've never been into hunting but I am a gun owner a handloader and target shooter. Some of the people I've seen at the range have made me irate with their total lack of safety and common sense. That is one of the reasons I do not care to hunt. But I respect and support other's right to do so.

The guy in this incident just strikes me as a nut case.

I was a pretty avid hunter several years ago. I used to go to gun shows often and shooting ranges very often also. Some of the people I met at gun shows made me rethink my presence at such events. There are some total whack jobs out there, and gun shows seem to have a higher concentration of them than most places. I am still a gun owner and as such would never think of condemning a whole group of people by the actions of a small minority of it's members.

I always enjoyed squirrel hunting, and the like to deer hunting for the simple reason that there are a lot of nuts running around out there during deer season that simply shouldn't be. Guys who haven't shot a gun in a year or so and have no clue about gun safety just run out into the woods like nothing could go wrong. Many of these people add alcohol to the equation and the results are predictably bad.

Back
Top Bottom