Wood Brothers:Please call Tim Steele!

97forever

Team Owner
This guy could be the driver to put the Wood Brothers back on top.He is still fairly young at 34,has raced everything on wheels,on ice and on water.He has a good history with Ford,was born in Michigan[hint:like Jack Roush]and can outdrive any of the WC drivers that are going to be available next year.C'mon Wood Bros.Hire him before Hendrick or D.E.I does!

What is Tim doing right now?? Running ARCA part time last I heard. Might be an interesting choice. He has skill and has turned them into success at the ARCA level.

A little history on TIm, 34 years old.

* In 1985 at the age of 16 Steele raced NAMRA Mini Champ cars. Named rookie of the year. Won champoinships in 1986 and 1987.

* Raced in the late model division at Berlin Raceway 1988. Won rookie of the year despite only competing in half the races. Won features races at both Kalamazoo Speedway, and Berlin Raceway during the 1989 season.

* During the 1990 season Tim compteted in the ASA series full-time. He won the AC-Delco 400 at Salem, IN in only his 17th ASA start. He held on to victory over Ted Musgrave, Juniour Hanley, Bob Senneker, Mike Eddy, and Scott Hansen.

* In 1992 Tim won the Winchester 400 Nascar All-Pro series race. Drivers that were in that field included Butch miller, Bobby Labonte, Kenny Wallace and three time Nascar Winston Cup series champoin Jeff Gordon.

* In an effort to aim toward his goal of one day being a succesful Nascar Winston Cup series driver, Steele took the advice from late friend Davey Allison, and sought rookie of the year on the ARCA series in 1993.

* 1993 ARCA Series champion....In 19 ARCA starts in 93 "The Man of Steele" recorded three wins, 11 top fives, 12 top tens, and three poles. Won a series high $134,785 for the year. He was the series top lap leader, leading 632 laps in 12 races.

*1994 One win, two poles, and a runnerup finish (competed in only six events) Won race and pole at Pocono, runnerup in the Daytona 200.

*1995 Three wins, nine top fives, ten top tens, and one pole in 16 events on the ARCA series. Finished 12th in points despite missing five races through the year.

*1996 ARCA Series champion... In 25 races, Tim recorde 11 wins, 17 top 5's, 22 top 10's and four poles.

*1997 ARCA Series champion...Won title despite missing the final race of the year do to injury. In 21 races Tim collected 12 wins, 15 top 5's, 17 top 10's and eight poles.

* Three straight poles, Three straight wins at Talladega Superspeedway (1996-1998)

* In 1999 Steele competed part time in the Nascar Craftsman Truck series, setting a new track record and the Bud pole at Nashville. He finished ninth on that night and led 53 laps for the season highlight.

* Entering the 2002 season in 130 starts, he's won 41times, 80top 5's, 95 top 10's and 31 pole wins.

"Ford's Jeff Gordon" my brothers and I called him back in the mid-nineties.Seemed like the future looked really good for him a few years back[WC speaking].I read he was intending to run a few WC races in the family-owned car this year.Haven't heard anything recently,however.Personally,I hope he ditches the idea of running his own team and hooks up with one of the better cup teams.[Thanks again for the great info,HS.]

Sounds good to me Zoe. Although maybe give him a few races in WC, to get him ready 1st. Or give him a shot right away in WC, if he does well keep him there.

Thats a superb idea! Tim has been and is one of my all time favorites(ts16). He can drive the wheels off of anything.

Tin was to driver the old Bud Moore car a couple years back but was seriosly injured and never got a chance since the team closed down.

Back
Top Bottom