World 600 Pre-race thread

2 Sweet

HMS 4-life
I was looking for this thread and don't see it anywhere, so I'll get the ball rolling. One of my favorite races of the year!

North Carolina Education Lottery 200
Charlotte Motor Speedway

8:30pm/et Friday, May 28, 2021
Green flag: 8:46pm/et
TV: FS1
Radio: MRN, Sirius XM NASCAR
(Stages 30/60/134 laps = 201 miles)
Practice: Friday, May 28, 11:35am/et, FS1
Qualifying: Friday, May 28, 5:35pm/et, FS1

Coca-Cola 600
Charlotte Motor Speedway
6:00pm/et, Sunday, May 30
(Stages: 100/200/300/400 = 600 miles)
TV: FOX
Radio: PRN, SiriusXM
Practice: 7:00-7:50pm/et, Friday, May 28. TV-FS1
Qualifying: 11:35am/et, Saturday, May 29. TV-FS1

download.png

I'm going to the Xfinity race on Saturday but skipping the 600 this year. Can't wait to finally get back to a track!

For anyone going this weekend they are not allowing coolers this year. However you can bring in unopened drinks (including alcohol) but you have to put them in a clear plastic bag.

I'm going to the Xfinity race on Saturday but skipping the 600 this year. Can't wait to finally get back to a track!

For anyone going this weekend they are not allowing coolers this year. However you can bring in unopened drinks (including alcohol) but you have to put them in a clear plastic bag.
I am hearing that with the $10 million they are getting everyone that attends will be given a cooler and 5lbs of ice once inside the track. :sarcasm:

Man, I'm on the fence. I want to go, but literally have something major I have to do every day between now and Sunday. Getting "old" and being tired is a real ****. My kids don't want to go so we'd have to find arrangements for them, so it may just be another TV and scanner app night.

As a fan, I'm very lucky to live close to CMS. You get the 600, then completely flip script and the Roval in the same year at the same location. Whether you like oval or road racing, it's got you covered.

Man, I'm on the fence. I want to go, but literally have something major I have to do every day between now and Sunday. Getting "old" and being tired is a real ****. My kids don't want to go so we'd have to find arrangements for them, so it may just be another TV and scanner app night.

As a fan, I'm very lucky to live close to CMS. You get the 600, then completely flip script and the Roval in the same year at the same location. Whether you like oval or road racing, it's got you covered.
I have to get there. I just have to...but that is no simple trip coming from the Pacific Northwest. Someday. I freaking love that place.....and yeah, I love both of those races....I hated the Roval idea....then freaking @StandOnIt taught me how to love road course racing. Yes, I just gave @StandOnIt credit for something. God help me.

I have to get there. I just have to...but that is no simple trip coming from the Pacific Northwest. Someday. I freaking love that place.....and yeah, I love both of those races....I hated the Roval idea....then freaking @StandOnIt taught me how to love road course racing. Yes, I just gave @StandOnIt credit for something. God help me.
If you go to the Roval, call the track ticket office and ask for Club Deck or Ford Upper Terrace. You can see 90-100% of the course from there. I prefer Club Deck because it's covered yet still open with restrooms and drinks right behind you.

I've come up for the 600 and for the old fall oval race a couple times, 90% sure I'll be coming for the Roval this year.

I've come up for the 600 and for the old fall oval race a couple times, 90% sure I'll be coming for the Roval this year.
Roval has become a must every year for me. I attended first two then had to miss last year as I wasn't selected for tickets. Still on the fence with 600 this weekend. May make a last minute call...

Where'd you find that graphic? That's perfect- all series, distances, times, and channels.

Good question lol. Reddit maybe? I didn't even have to go looking for it. The graphic came up under the "discover" section of Google, whatever you call it when you open a new tab on your phone and it populates with content related to your interests.

Roval has become a must every year for me. I attended first two then had to miss last year as I wasn't selected for tickets. Still on the fence with 600 this weekend. May make a last minute call...
I wish I'd known. My second ticket last fall went unused. :(

I wish I'd known. My second ticket last fall went unused. :(
You wouldn't want that. Imagine the Elliott homer thoughts/posts/whines that I manage to refrain from hitting "send" on race day, then being seated next to it. :XXROFL:

Has anyone sat in the Speedway Club for a race? Tickets aren't much more than where I regularly sit and I've always resisted because I felt being inside kind of defeated the whole experience of attending a race.

You wouldn't want that. Imagine the Elliott homer thoughts/posts/whines that I manage to refrain from hitting "send" on race day, then being seated next to it. :XXROFL:
You haven't sat next to my 80 year old maiden aunt in her Colts season seats. As kindly a church-going lady as you'll ever meet, right up until kickoff.
Has anyone sat in the Speedway Club for a race? Tickets aren't much more than where I regularly sit and I've always resisted because I felt being inside kind of defeated the whole experience of attending a race.
Dad and I lucked into Sprint's luxury box at Martinsville a decade ago. Breakfast buffet switching over to lunch, open bar, A/C, TVs galore, private bathroom, hot and cold running hostesses, etc.

Once the green flag dropped, it became the most lifeless environment we'd ever watched a race in. No yelling, no swearing, no jumping up and pointing, no tossing my peanut shells on the floor, no smell of fuel or smoke or tires, no MRN feed, no drunks to make fun of during cautions. Never again. I'd rather be in Chicken Bone Alley any day.

You haven't sat next to my 80 year old maiden aunt in her Colts season seats. As kindly a church-going lady as you'll ever meet, right up until kickoff.

Dad and I lucked into Sprint's luxury box at Martinsville a decade ago. Breakfast buffet switching over to lunch, open bar, A/C, TVs galore, private bathroom, hot and cold running hostesses, etc.

Once the green flag dropped, it became the most lifeless environment we'd ever watched a race in. No yelling, no swearing, no jumping up and pointing, no tossing my peanut shells on the floor, no smell of fuel or smoke or tires, no MRN feed, no drunks to make fun of during cautions. Never again. I'd rather be in Chicken Bone Alley any day.

I've never sat in one for a race but I have no desire to and this is pretty much what I would expect it to be like. I go for the noise, fuel/burnt rubber smell, and other things you mentioned as much as I do to see the actual race. As @Dr_B_UNC said, kind of defeats the purpose of going to a race.

Where'd you find that graphic? That's perfect- all series, distances, times, and channels.
Good question lol. Reddit maybe? I didn't even have to go looking for it. The graphic came up under the "discover" section of Google, whatever you call it when you open a new tab on your phone and it populates with content related to your interests.

It was posted on Reddit two days ago.

I felt this way when I lucked into sitting in The Dollar General/Coca Cola suite for the 09 edition of the Cup race at Chicagoland. The creature comforts were nice (AC!!!!!)and while super grateful my neighbor took me in the suites, im not sure I’d watch a race in a suite again. Just a different atmosphere.

Some former winners of this Crown Jewel race. I love this race, the tradition and who’s who of those that won here, littered with former Cup Champs and HOF’ers.
View attachment 55616View attachment 55623View attachment 55638View attachment 55639View attachment 55640View attachment 55641View attachment 55642View attachment 55646View attachment 55644View attachment 55645
Don't forget this 3 time winner, people don't give Kasey enough credit for winning 3 600s
GettyImages-78453386.jpg
download.jpeg
28nascar-1-superJumbo.jpg

I felt this way when I lucked into sitting in The Dollar General/Coca Cola suite for the 09 edition of the Cup race at Chicagoland. The creature comforts were nice (AC!!!!!)and while super grateful my neighbor took me in the suites, im not sure I’d watch a race in a suite again. Just a different atmosphere.
That's why Club Deck at Charlotte is best of both worlds. It's a section like 6-8 rows deep, with table rail/tray in front of you and it's outside, but at the top of the stairs is indoor (AC) restrooms, elevators, and bars with tables to eat on.

That's why Club Deck at Charlotte is best of both worlds. It's a section like 6-8 rows deep, with table rail/tray in front of you and it's outside, but at the top of the stairs is indoor (AC) restrooms, elevators, and bars with tables to eat on.
Ah that sounds nice, truly best of both worlds

If you go to the Roval, call the track ticket office and ask for Club Deck or Ford Upper Terrace. You can see 90-100% of the course from there. I prefer Club Deck because it's covered yet still open with restrooms and drinks right behind you.
I'll go Club Deck, but not Ford Terrace....Just can't do it. :D Appreciate the tip.

Interesting, I am not sure I ever seen hot and cold running hostesses. But it will be something I will definitely be on the lookout for in the future.

@Revman : there’s Toyota sections, but they’re in Turn 4. I prefer to sit on turn 1 end so that cars are coming towards me when looking at start finish line. There was something weird about sitting in 4 side and watching them go away from me. Personal preference.

(I tried attaching video on my phone, it's not cooperating apparently)

@Revman : there’s Toyota sections, but they’re in Turn 4. I prefer to sit on turn 1 end so that cars are coming towards me when looking at start finish line. There was something weird about sitting in 4 side and watching them go away from me. Personal preference.

I wish I had a good video of 600 from the deck (wife does maybe), but here’s last lap of 2019 Roval for view reference.
Yeah, I was kind being me, but I appreciate the perspective. I have always been a Turn 4, and have them go away from me wherever I have been....you have given me something to think about....Thanks man. Really want to get there.

Yeah, I was kind being me, but I appreciate the perspective. I have always been a Turn 4, and have them go away from me wherever I have been....you have given me something to think about....Thanks man. Really want to get there.
I get it. Here's last lap of the last race I was able to attend prior to pandemic from the Deck.

Interesting, I am not sure I ever seen hot and cold running hostesses. But it will be something I will definitely be on the lookout for in the future.
I was starting to wonder if I'd wasted that bit. Thanks for restoring my faith.

For selfish reasons, I want the race to rain out, or at least start extremely late. I got a wrestling PPV to watch on Sunday night lol.

The answer is 600 miles is always the best answer to run at May in Charlotte. Any other suggestion or answer is wrong. Let’s keep what little tradition is left

Honestly love the stages here too. We’ve basically made it 4 features which is awesome

Back
Top Bottom