World champions: Always this disrespected?

paul

Team Owner
I posed this question in a newsgroup and I'll ask it here.

As a relative newcomer to the sport I'm wondering if past champions have always been as ridiculed as MS is. He isn't the first to be dominant and he isn't the first to drive a dominant car.

If past champions were not regarded in such a fashion as MS is, why is that? Has the sport changed? Has the "fan" changed?

I don't really know, but I do know that he is the highest paid in the history of the sport. If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that he is THE highest paid athlete in the world. Seems the more money they make the more they're scrutinized. People want to know if they're worth all that money and I think most people come to the conclusion that they're not. Sure, give 'em enough money to live the life of luxury, but not millions upon millions for being an athlete. If I had time right now I would go look it up to be sure that I'm right, but for some reason 80 million is what comes to mind when I think of that story that I read on MS. IMO, no one and I mean no one is worth 80 million.

Schumaker would be getting more respect if F1 actually had some competition. How do we know how good the Schu really is when he has no competitors that can come close to him !!!!!!! The other cars are no where near as good as the ferrari. Schu has it so easy. Him and Rubens have won almost every race this year. It sucks!!!!!! Who would watch nascar if Jeff Gordon won 32 out of 36 races every year???????? hmmmmmmmmmm ?

I would still watch it.

Champions are always ridiculed, usually by the people they beat or the fans of people they beat.

The sport and fans has not changed,the present champion seems to be arrogant you can´t see no warm feelings come from him
He is like a machine(robot)
Mika Häkkinen and Damon Hill are totally different they did look like a ordinary persones,and always nice to everybody
you did have that feeling you did know them personally

Originally posted by tonystewart1
Schumaker would be getting more respect if F1 actually had some competition.  How do we know how good the Schu really is when he has no competitors that can come close to him !!!!!!!  The other cars are no where near as good as the ferrari. Schu has it so easy. Him and Rubens have won almost every race this year. It sucks!!!!!!  Who would watch nascar if Jeff Gordon won 32 out of 36 races every year????????  hmmmmmmmmmm ?

geeeeze :rolleyes: Just because there is no Mike Helton to give minardi 1 in on there front bumper every time they wine about why they didn't finish good because of the manucacture. As for other cars not being no where near a ferrari, just so happens a BMW has 7 poles. Easy? you call almost 900 horse 200 mile an hour 5 g's easy? Every Jeff Gordan would watch if he won 32 races, hell, everyone picks there favorite driver every week anyway, thats why he is your favorite. F1 is what racing is, man and machine, not just man.

Depends what type of fan you are talking about paul, I am young and don't have that much experience but I would say the american fan has completly converted to ovals, not that that is totally bad, but there just is no appreciation for road courses any more

I do like the "Schu". I think he is a good guy and an incredible talent. I just don't think that he has any competition in F1. Someone needs to step up to the plate in F1 and take a run at the Ferrari's!

I hope that BAR can step up their program in the next few years!

Americans should be able to build something that can outduel a freakin Ferrari!

I think Michael's the best GP driver ever. I think some people resent when he left William's for Ferrari and the then hige $$$. Twenty million at the time if I remember right. Williams didn't think he was worth it <g>

As far as no no Mike helton, Bill France, etc. Most people in europe don't know who they are. They know who Bernie Ecclestone is though.

Originally posted by SlowNeasy
I think Michael's the best GP driver ever. &nbsp;I think some people resent when he left William's for Ferrari and the then hige $$$. &nbsp;Twenty million at the time if I remember right. &nbsp;Williams didn't think he was worth it <g>

MS never drove for Williams...he left Benetton for Ferrari in 1996.

I think its easy to ridicule something or someone that you don't understand. I know that Michael seems to rub the English speaking world the wrong way...and I think a lot of his perceived "arrogance" can directly be attributed to his command (lack there of) of the English language...

Its his "Germanness" for lack of a better word...

I found a 10 reasons to love Michael Schumacher article recently...I'll post it if I can find it...that dealt with this topic in depth. Definitely worth checking out....

Back
Top Bottom