wtf is a process? detroit was robnbed

S

SlowNeasy

cleraly a touchdown with 24 seconds to go in the game. mind you i was pulling for chicago but man, not this way. this new rule has to be re-evaluated. sorry nfl, this call showed how silly this new rule is. why did you even screw around changing it?

Go Bears. Now since I wasn't able to see the game, I don't know what happened. I did hear that a touchdown for the Lions was nullified though. What is the new rule that was used?

Okay, I've now seen the play and read the reviews. I didn't know about the rule change but both coaches did and did not complain. As Chris Carter said, the rule for catching a pass in the endzone is different from one caught in the rest of the field. If the receiver falls to the ground, he must maintain possession of the ball and hand it to the ref. He didn't and the rule wasn't made at that moment. Hate the rule or not, a rule is a rule. The NFL has been making a lot of rule changes in the last five or six years and the old vets are starting to say the league has become "mamsy pamsy" with all the rules to protect the quarterback, receivers et. al. I'm just glad that I'm sitting on the winning side of this one. Go Bears. :beerbang:

Okay, I've now seen the play and read the reviews. I didn't know about the rule change but both coaches did and did not complain. As Chris Carter said, the rule for catching a pass in the endzone is different from one caught in the rest of the field. If the receiver falls to the ground, he must maintain possession of the ball and hand it to the ref. He didn't and the rule wasn't made at that moment. Hate the rule or not, a rule is a rule. The NFL has been making a lot of rule changes in the last five or six years and the old vets are starting to say the league has become "mamsy pamsy" with all the rules to protect the quarterback, receivers et. al. I'm just glad that I'm sitting on the winning side of this one. Go Bears. :beerbang:
yeah, i'm a big bears fan too but that rule is bs. oh well...go bears!

What happened to the "ball crossing the plane" regarding touchdowns?

Does this mean the next time a player catches a td pass and spikes the ball it won't count?

Chit, just to bust chops I'd ask the ref for a reciept,,,,:beerbang:

What happened to the "ball crossing the plane" regarding touchdowns?

Does this mean the next time a player catches a td pass and spikes the ball it won't count?

Chit, just to bust chops I'd ask the ref for a reciept,,,,:beerbang:
I heard today that this rule came into effect last year after something like this happened in an Oakland game. As explained earlier, the problem is when a receiver catches the ball in the endzone and goes to the ground. It's completely different than in the rest of the field. If the receiver goes to the ground, he must maintain control of the ball and HAND it to the ref. It's not a rule that I made up and I don't necessarily agree with it, but the rules committee made the rule and the owners voted to add it. As with most of us, we did not know of the rule, but you can bet your sweet bippy that everyone does now.

Go Bears!

As with most of us, we did not know of the rule, but you can bet your sweet bippy that everyone does now.

Go Bears!
yep, and according to a poll result given on last nights chiefs vs chargers game 82% want it changed. apparently there was a similar incident last year but it didn't affect the outcome of the game and didn't garner the outrage that this call did. it's not like the lions can afford to have wins taken away with the abysmal record they've had over the last decade.

yep, and according to a poll result given on last nights chiefs vs chargers game 82% want it changed. apparently there was a similar incident last year but it didn't affect the outcome of the game and didn't garner the outrage that this call did. it's not like the lions can afford to have wins taken away with the abysmal record they've had over the last decade.
Was that poll taken of the owners or fans? I wonder if a poll taken of NASCAR fans would show agreement of the Chase? I know that in a minuscule way, fans opinions have a slight chance to change rules, but you know who makes the final decision. Same for the NFL. The owners are the ones who make that decision. I wonder how many times in the future this rule will be applied anyway.

Was that poll taken of the owners or fans? I wonder if a poll taken of NASCAR fans would show agreement of the Chase? I know that in a minuscule way, fans opinions have a slight chance to change rules, but you know who makes the final decision. Same for the NFL. The owners are the ones who make that decision. I wonder how many times in the future this rule will be applied anyway.

polls I see always seem to be evenly split on the chase

i don't recall who the poll was of but believe it was fans. i can see this one being changed or eliminated because it makes zero sense. once you score a touchdown, while in the endzone and in possession of the ball there is no after. it's a frickin touchdown. <g> you might get a penalty for throwing the ball in the stands, taunting or whatever but they don't take the touchdown away.

Back
Top Bottom