Xfinity RACE thread --- Iowa

I'm focused on the US Open but I'll dabble with some Sunday racing. Not having the Cup guys racing on Father's Day feels weird. Always seemed like a nice tradition at either Pocono or Michigan over the years.

Did the guys in the booth miss the fact that what hurt the 00 on that last run was getting held up by the 11 for several laps?

Majeski and Grala put in some great performances today.

Grala keeps up the mometum, Eury Jr still has got it.

The high temperature there was 91. That's somewhat hot, but not "don't dare go outside" hot. I mean, it's 89 today here in Portland, OR. It's summer. I frankly don't think that is a plausible factor. I can see the argument for shifting to a Friday and Saturday night Trucks / Xfinity doubleheader, but it will hurt TV ratings (ratings are always better during Sunday afternoon). Iowans are either interested in these series or they are not. They might pack the place for a Cup race, but when packing the place is 30k, is that actually appealing? I would love to see a Cup race happen, but it seems less likely than ever.

As Ive said before, Ive been to Iowa several times and its got a long way to go for a Cup race. Most of the concessions are food trucks and trailers, the roads are not sufficient. Track and the garage area are ready to go but 30k fans wouldnt cut it and going to 60k would choke them to death.

As Ive said before, Ive been to Iowa several times and its got a long way to go for a Cup race. Most of the concessions are food trucks and trailers, the roads are not sufficient. Track and the garage area are ready to go but 30k fans wouldnt cut it and going to 60k would choke them to death.
Leave it alone. Just because an xfinity race is great don't mean the cup drivers can handle it. :D

Unfortunately I think that's all true. Great track, not really the right location or infrastructure. If Kansas Speedway were somehow never built, I'm sure there would be more regional support.

I just saw the last few laps. Looked like Allgaier had everyone covered.
I really don’t have much interest in the lower series if there are no stars in the field.

Unfortunately I think that's all true. Great track, not really the right location or infrastructure. If Kansas Speedway were somehow never built, I'm sure there would be more regional support.
Its great for the drivers and crew members who are lucky enough to fly in. The airstrip right beside it is first class as well as the fbo

iowa.jpg
Heres a shot from our plane.

Short track, not a short track, I don't really care. I really like the way this track drives. Visibly hot, slick, and bumpy. It's just a shame the locals don't really seem to show up. The start time was way too late (IndyCar also had this problem there recently but has been moved to 1 PM Central this year at the request of the local fans) but that was no doubt a FOX request, and even then, attendance looked bizarrely low. And the Trucks yesterday also didn't draw well at all.

Really fun track but I don't see it hosting Cup any time soon. We'll just have to take it for what it is, a fun little Xfinity/Truck venue where we don't have to see Cup drivers.

The high temperature there was 91. That's somewhat hot, but not "don't dare go outside" hot. I mean, it's 89 today here in Portland, OR. It's summer. I frankly don't think that is a plausible factor. I can see the argument for shifting to a Friday and Saturday night Trucks / Xfinity doubleheader, but it will hurt TV ratings (ratings are always better during Sunday afternoon). Iowans are either interested in these series or they are not. They might pack the place for a Cup race, but when packing the place is 30k, is that actually appealing? I would love to see a Cup race happen, but it seems less likely than ever.

Are you kidding me? What’s the humidity in Portland, 30%? Today you had a high of 90 with a dew point of 49, Iowa was 94 with a dew point of 72. That’s a ton of humidity that just roasts you sitting in metal bleachers.

I really don’t understand why this isn’t a night race, the Midwest can get downright oppressive in the summer

Back
Top Bottom