Xfinity Restrictor Plates confirmed @ Indy and beyond..... probably to Cup too

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
NASCAR will use restrictor plates at Indianapolis . . . are Michigan and Pocono next?

NASCAR’s latest track makeover was on display last weekend at Phoenix Raceway, which was under construction during a $178-million renovation that will completed by November.

But the series-wide overhauls aren’t stopping there, and they aren’t limited to facility facelifts, either.

NBC Sports has confirmed that NASCAR will use restrictor plates for the Xfinity race July 22 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The decision, which initially was reported by freelance journalist Michael Knight on Twitter last weekend, will take effect after NASCAR was pleased by the results of a successful Xfinity test with plates last year at the 2.5-mile track.

A NASCAR official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to discuss publicly, said if the Xfinity race goes well, then restrictor plates would be used for the 2018 Brickyard 400 in the Cup Series.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03...indy-could-michigan-and-pocono-be-on-horizon/

Computer-Guy-Facepalm.jpg

I assume the test was like 4 cars and that always shows what will happen

Terrible. Since they can't produce any real racing there, they will bunch of them up and cause big wrecks.
Nothing will cause me to drop NASCAR faster than an increase in the number of restrictor plate tracks, especially to tracks where plates are not required for purposes of fan safety. I can conceive of no bigger gimmick than this.

Michigan is interesting, that's one place where plates will probably work as intended and create pack racing. They are close to wide open most of the lap as is.

I don't get this level of extreme hate. Nobody has any idea how this will work, stop the bitching until we see the results. Or is this just yet another case of people seeing "Restrictor plates?!?!? Hurrr durrr not real racing Daytona sux omg go to IRP". Just like when we get a legit caution in a race from someone pounding the wall and the race thread blows up with "OMG illegitimate debris BS brian france sucks for interrupting my 180 lap green flag nap 4 second leads are real racing". Restrictor plates, caution, I think those are three words that just trigger delusional levels of hate within a small section of fans. I wonder what else will trigger them? Guess what, IRP isn't happening, and plate racing is popular, get over it.

It's not like it could be any worse.(as long as no one gets hurt). I doubt it'll bunch the field up that much.

I don't get this level of extreme hate. Nobody has any idea how this will work, stop the bitching until we see the results. Or is this just yet another case of people seeing "Restrictor plates?!?!? Hurrr durrr not real racing Daytona sux omg go to IRP". Just like when we get a legit caution in a race from someone pounding the wall and the race thread blows up with "OMG illegitimate debris BS brian france sucks for interrupting my 180 lap green flag nap 4 second leads are real racing". Restrictor plates, caution, I think those are three words that just trigger delusional levels of hate within a small section of fans. I wonder what else will trigger them? Guess what, IRP isn't happening, and plate racing is popular, get over it.
Nailed it. I agree 100%

Anyone who watched the new hampshire race in 2000 knows this is a terrible idea destined for failure of epic proportions.

NHMS is also a smaller track. This will be interesting to say the least. Basically a cheap way for Nascar to put smaller engines in the cars. I actually applaud them for trying this. At least they are trying something. Before anyone says go back to IRP, remember IRP can't bring the type of purse that IMS can.

... and plate racing is popular, get over it.
If plate racing is so popular, then run all races that way. Then I'll find it very easy to get over it by watching something else.

Four a year is about all I can stomach. Expand to 9 next year, a full quarter of the schedule, and I'll find other things to do. I'll just exercise my option to get over it. NASCAR got along without me before 1995, I'm sure the all-plate league will get along when I'm gone.

If pack racing is indeed the intent, I'm outta here.

I actually don't think it is, at least for Pocono and Indy. If they want dega style side-by-side pack racing this will fail miserably. After seeing the 2015 experiment with the high-drag package I think they are more going for indycar style racing at these tracks. Single-file, yes, but the trailing car gets a huge tow down the long straights making passing the leader much easier. Whether plates actually make that happen, I don't know, but I doubt it.

Michigan, however, will almost certainly be a mini Daytona with plates.

NHMS is also a smaller track.
Its a quick flat track and produces similar style racing on a smaller scale, and 2000 was terrible.

Its only going to be much worse on a bigger track. Watching these cars crawl around indy with 450HP is going to be abhorable.

How did the formula for good racing get lost somewhere in the late 90s and early 2000s? It's like KFC's secret recipe or something.

I'm trying to understand the excuseapalooza for running restrictor plates rather than trying the infield road course.

The optics are bad. What? The optics are bad enough for the oval race! In fact, it would probably be better for fans to have the road course race because of the infield spectator mounds. They're also going to open up infield camping for the GP of Indy for the first time this year.

c5TTtqq.png

It's uncertain if the IMS road course would be a good fit. Maybe, maybe not. Can't say until we try. What we do know is that most fans feel that the oval itself isn't a good fit, no matter what. It's a tough, technical oval to drive but fans don't want to see that because there's not a whole lot of "action" going on. You might at least get a good combination of both with the infield road course.

I actually don't think it is, at least for Pocono and Indy. If they want dega style side-by-side pack racing this will fail miserably. After seeing the 2015 experiment with the high-drag package I think they are more going for indycar style racing at these tracks. Single-file, yes, but the trailing car gets a huge tow down the long straights making passing the leader much easier. Whether plates actually make that happen, I don't know, but I doubt it.

Michigan, however, will almost certainly be a mini Daytona with plates.
If they keep the current aero I don't see how they're going to get drafting and slingshots. These cars don't seem to generate much drag anywhere now. Unless they do something in conjunction with the plates they'll just look abnormally slow and easy to drive.

I want to see how they spin this one into 'The fans asked for it'.
Not once have I heard a fan say, "You know what would fix the racing at Indy? Restrictor plates!" I've certainly never heard them requested for Michigan or Pocono, or heard anyone complain about poor racing there the way they do about IMS.

If they keep the current aero I don't see how they're going to get drafting and slingshots. These cars don't seem to generate much drag anywhere now. Unless they do something in conjunction with the plates they'll just look abnormally slow and easy to drive.
Plates at indy and pocono will not create pack racing, nascar is shooting to create the slingshot style racing that indycar has. Except these stock cars will simply run nose to tail and cant pass.

Completely agree, that's why I doubted they would work. Regardless of if it does, I don't think that is necessarily a bad goal. I'd love to see that unique style of racing at some point on the schedule.

Plates at indy and pocono will not create pack racing, nascar is shooting to create the slingshot style racing that indycar has. Except these stock cars will simply run nose to tail and cant pass.
Okay, explain how this won't produce pack racing. o_O

Okay, explain how this won't produce pack racing. o_O

It won't produce pack racing of the side-by-side variety because there is only one groove. It will produce a freight-train single file for 160 laps. Perhaps this is what Chex meant.

Independent journalist Jet Cluck will nail it 'n tell ever'body about it too!

Back
Top Bottom