Xfinity Series to use Composite Bodies by 2018

There's got to be downsides though, right? Do we still get to see the crews pulling and banging on pit road after an accident?

Thought NASCAR wants to cut costs for the teams? Composite panels are very expensive to manufacture.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Okay, I gotta admit the composition of the body panels means nothing to me. Somebody please clue me in as to why I as a race fan should be interested. Feel free to include performance, maintenance, repair, shop operations, or financial advantages or disadvantages.

Thanks.

Okay, I gotta admit the composition of the body panels means nothing to me. Somebody please clue me in as to why I as a race fan should be interested. Feel free to include performance, maintenance, repair, shop operations, or financial advantages or disadvantages.

Thanks.
Less weight ... permits additional ballast in preferred locations.
Lower center of gravity.
Lower cost.
Lower maintenance costs.
Easier in-race emergency repair.

Thanks.

NASCAR made a deal where they get a kickback from Five-Star on each body sold. It will change absolutely nothing to the viewer.

NASCAR made a deal where they get a kickback from Five-Star on each body sold. It will change absolutely nothing to the viewer.
Perhaps informed viewers will find it interesting.

Hard to say.

Less weight ... permits additional ballast in preferred locations.
Lower center of gravity.
Lower cost.
Lower maintenance costs.
Easier in-race emergency repair.

It is absolutely not lower cost. I know the retail price of the bodies already and they will not save teams any amount of money. This is to line NASCAR's pockets and nothing more.

You can't skin a chassis in legal sheetmetal for 10 grand. 5 Star supplies the K and N series. Their product is in use because it's less expensive, among other reasons previously stated.

Try fabricating a replacement quarter panel in sheet metal for $411.

https://www.fivestarbodies.com/

http://www.fivestarbodies.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=947

NASCAR K&N Pro Series and ARCA Racingn Series cars will have a new look for the 2015 racing season. On Tuesday afternoon at the SEMA Show in Las Vegas, Nevada, NASCAR President Mike Helton announced that NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and NASCAR K&N Pro Series West teams will be using a new, composite body manufactured by Five Star Race Car Bodies moving forward. ARCA officials confirmed that they will utilize the same body package through a simultaneous press release with the NASCAR announcement.

According to Helton, the change in body styles is a move that was made in an attempt to reduce costs and allow teams to more easily install and replace body panels at the race shop or the race track.

http://speed51.com/kn-pro-series-arca-unveil-new-composite-body-for-2015/

All content above courtesy of that gynecologist in Charlotte.

You're not seeing the big picture whatsoever if you think this will, or was even intended to, save Xfinity teams money.

I think the K&N Series as well as the ARCA Series already run all composite body.

I'm wondering what differences these panels might have in the wind tunnel compared to sheet metal, especially on a plate track car.

I'm wondering what differences these panels might have in the wind tunnel compared to sheet metal, especially on a plate track car.
I don't think they will be as slick BUT they may have a way of messaging them.

This won't save teams any money. They will have to waste a lot of money on research and development to implement these new bodies and find ways to make them fast.

This won't save teams any money. They will have to waste a lot of money on research and development to implement these new bodies and find ways to make them fast.
Aerodynamically, they should be the same. They'll have to research how to redistribute the weight, but that should be some relatively cheap testing. Start with sticking it as low and to the left as possible.

Back
Top Bottom