Yellow tape on steering wheel

4tires17gals

Team Owner
It really seemed to help Junior at Phoenix and Dover. What other drivers use it to keep a balanced car?

I think Chase does too, but i understand to vertify drivers who do unless any crew members or incar NASCAR users are here

Are we talking about the white tape at the twelve o'clock position ?

I think he's talking about the secondary tape on the steering wheel. There's the normal 12 o' clock tape & then there'should the tape at the 10 o' clock position. I think @4tires17gals is asking about the 10 o' clock tape.

Rick Mast did.

54488-4849572Fr.jpg

Some teams are putting the same yellow tape on the tire side-walls because it helped so much on the steering wheels.

Some teams are putting the same yellow tape on the tire side-walls because it helped so much on the steering wheels.

I strap a strip of steering wheel tape around my arms in the morning to prevent arm pump on my drive to work.
Can't believe racecar drivers don't try that.

I can't vouch for why Junior uses tape on his steering wheel, but for decades tape at the 12 o'clock position helps indicate the steering wheel position when the front wheels are pointed straight ahead. After contact or some other suspension problem the driver can tell if the wheel alignment has been affected (if the tape is no longer at 12 o'clock when the car is pointed straight).

I've seen some teams add a second piece of tape as an indicator of maximum "normal" steering wheel movement. At many tracks a well handling car requires relatively little steering wheel movement. You can mark your maximum steering input by placing a second piece of tape at the 12 o'clock position created when you've turned the wheel as much as you need to (usually during turns). You can figure out this position during practice. Then during the race you can judge how your car reacts to the changing track, and to changes made in the pits, as well as problems due to contact etc. by noting if the driver has to steer more (or less) than the second tape indicates. If the spotter can see the tape on the steering wheel he can report back to the crew chief to aid in adjustment decisions or to help advise less experienced drivers.

has every driver used this for 20 years? I am only a part time fan. if so I apologize.

The tape seems pretty useless to me. I don't have one in my car and I can manage to drive perfectly straight down the highway.

Back
Top Bottom