Yes!

C

Captain Coyfish

Am I the only happy to see Menard blow a tire and finish 30th at the end? Really don't like that kid, only in the ride because of his dada and only was in the chase because of him constantly running 15th-20th. So long sucka!

Personally I don't mind Paul because I have family that built his cars when he was with Yates, but I certainly can appreciate your dislike...God knows I have mine!

Yeah I dont like him either. But thats cause most the Menard family is a bunch of A-holes

Don't mind the kid. Everyone in Nascar today is there because of mommy and daddy's dime. Not like he is wasting a spot for another driver. I mean he was in the top 10 before he blew his tire. He runs good has a decent win under his belt. Also his daddy has supported many drivers and teams throughout the years. The Menards have definitely earned my respect.

He is another John Wes Townley. I live in GA and know him and his family and he has Zaxbys because of his dad and business partner. He couldn't drive a dump truck off a cliff with a tornado pushing him........... Money never buys talent...... Danica anyone?????? Oh yeah, I went there :moon:

I used to dislike him due the stated reasons. But I do believe he has developed into being a legitimate and upper mid tier driver.
Life isnt fair, the money afforded a prolonged tutorial, but he isnt the only one, almost every kid coming into today has big family support.

Put your self in his shoes, would you disqualify yourself from trying because you have unfair advantages?

I used to dislike him due the stated reasons. But I do believe he has developed into being a legitimate and upper mid tier driver.
Life isnt fair, the money afforded a prolonged tutorial, but he isnt the only one, almost every kid coming into today has big family support.

Put your self in his shoes, would you disqualify yourself from trying because you have unfair advantages?
If I could do for my son what his dad did for him, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I sure as heck don't look at his situation as being an unfair advantage. An advantage yes but not unfair. To me an unfair advantage would be if he cheated his way to his position by illegal means, tricked up car, etc. He's sitting 12th in points right now. A position many other drivers would love to be in.

If I could do for my son what his dad did for him, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I sure as heck don't look at his situation as being an unfair advantage. An advantage yes but not unfair. To me an unfair advantage would be if he cheated his way to his position by illegal means, tricked up car, etc. He's sitting 12th in points right now. A position many other drivers would love to be in.
Good points. I was just thinking unfair advantage compared to a kid with no family backing. It has always exsisted and it is just life, I am not proposing any changes. I dont begrudge Manard because we could fault just about every cup driver.

I would love some more spec car entry level series for kids to match pure driving ability against each other (one that draws attention/promotion), but even that is not an affordable option for most kids/families.

One other thing about Menard, he doesnt behave like a jerk. He isn't some attention seeking clown, he seems low key and moderate, just wants to race.
Usually rich kids come off as brats with little ambition or drive.
Good for Menard.

The differecne in between the Austins and Menard is that the Austins have legit talent. Paul Menard is only just starting to run good, and its by virtue of running between 15th and 20th every week.

The differecne in between the Austins and Menard is that the Austins have legit talent. Paul Menard is only just starting to run good, and its by virtue of running between 15th and 20th every week.

I read this thread and I detected a little bit of jealousy from some folks. Check out some of the drivers that are below Paul in points. Look at last year.

I have two grown children, one is an architect and the other is a scientist.

Dada's money put them through school!!! ;)

I'll quote Jeff Burton on this very topic again, there isn't a driver in NASCAR who didn't get here because of their dad at some point. Is there anybody who got to where they are without dad letting them drive the late model stock car at the short track on Saturday night? You think old #43 would have gotten anywhere in this sport if old #42 hadn't let him drive his cars at first?

I read this thread and I detected a little bit of jealousy from some folks. Check out some of the drivers that are below Paul in points. Look at last year.

I have two grown children, one is an architect and the other is a scientist.

Dada's money put them through school!!! ;)

When I first glanced at that, I thought it said "anarchist."

Don't mind the kid. Everyone in Nascar today is there because of mommy and daddy's dime. Not like he is wasting a spot for another driver. I mean he was in the top 10 before he blew his tire. He runs good has a decent win under his belt. Also his daddy has supported many drivers and teams throughout the years. The Menards have definitely earned my respect.
This.

Plus, Paul's a good kid. Got to know him a little bit last season - he's very close friends with Regan Smith. There are plenty of dicks in the garage (drivers, owners, team members, media, you name it) but Paul's just not one of them.

Pauls's dad is mega rich, so is Paul. That's the way it is. Good thing is that Manards sponsor many teams and even a series. Paul will have to step it up a notch, that is always a problem that lurks with wheel holders focused on driving conservatively and placing well. Place racing only works if you finish every race, and with the shortened season, they can't build up a cushion. That is the only good part of the chase IMO, it rewards the drivers who try to win. Place racers are at a disadvantage. Truex also is in that category, Almirola is also. Almirola isn't driving a car that can win though IMO. Menard is in a place where he has to try to win races, I don't see that happening. One win in ten years?

This.

Plus, Paul's a good kid. Got to know him a little bit last season - he's very close friends with Regan Smith. There are plenty of dicks in the garage (drivers, owners, team members, media, you name it) but Paul's just not one of them.
I agree. Even though I have never met the Menards myself, I have a very close friend that is a very close friend of Pauls parents, and they have showed me a lot of pics of them flying on the Menards jet and hanging out on the pit box with the Menards, and if they tell me that they are good people, then I believe it. I realize that there are a lot of fans that their parents couldn't afford to help them through life as much as they would have liked them to, and there are a lot of fans that can't afford to help their children as much as they would like to. But, thats not a very good reason to hate someone else just because they can afford to help their kid reach their dream. Working on racing teams most of my adult life has put me in a positon to know all the drivers in drag racing, and you would be surprised at how many fans will love a driver that is a total dick, and how many fans will hate a driver that is actually a pretty nice person.

Working on racing teams most of my adult life has put me in a positon to know all the drivers in drag racing, and you would be surprised at how many fans will love a driver that is a total dick, and how many fans will hate a driver that is actually a pretty nice person.

I've touched on this before, but a great case in point is Kurt Busch and Regan Smith.

Not that Regan is awful - he's not. But Kurt is just so much friendlier, so much more cooperative, and so much more pleasant to be around. Regan has a lot of Gen Y spoiled kid and entitlement attitude about him. He acts a bit like a celebrity. Kurt is just the opposite - to the point that he'll literally pick up a broom and start sweeping up around the garage area if it needs sweeping. There is no job on that team beneath him. Conversely, Regan acted above much of the minimum tasks that were asked of him. I guarantee 99% of the fans would NEVER assume that based on their perceptions. Which, in a sponsor driven sport, is important. So there is fault and credit to be had by both.

I've touched on this before, but a great case in point is Kurt Busch and Regan Smith.

Not that Regan is awful - he's not. But Kurt is just so much friendlier, so much more cooperative, and so much more pleasant to be around. Regan has a lot of Gen Y spoiled kid and entitlement attitude about him. He acts a bit like a celebrity. Kurt is just the opposite - to the point that he'll literally pick up a broom and start sweeping up around the garage area if it needs sweeping. There is no job on that team beneath him. Conversely, Regan acted above much of the minimum tasks that were asked of him. I guarantee 99% of the fans would NEVER assume that based on their perceptions. Which, in a sponsor driven sport, is important. So there is fault and credit to be had by both.

Exactly...sponsors don't care if you sweep up your garage mess if you aren't on camera doing it :D

I got that same vibe about Kurt when Tony Schumacher introduced him to us at a restaurant in Gainseville Fl a couple of years ago, and then again the next day talking to Kurt, and Michael Waltrip in the staging lanes at the drag race.

I'll quote Jeff Burton on this very topic again, there isn't a driver in NASCAR who didn't get here because of their dad at some point. Is there anybody who got to where they are without dad letting them drive the late model stock car at the short track on Saturday night? You think old #43 would have gotten anywhere in this sport if old #42 hadn't let him drive his cars at first?
This. Just about every driver in NASCAR is where they are today because their dad or some other relative put them in a kart, quarter midget, etc. at age five and brought them to the track every week for their entire childhood.

Cool insight , thanks . Nice to hear from someone that has thoughts other than what he hates about the sport.

Thanks for posting this, I would have never known, I will be rooting more for Kurt in the future.

Back
Top Bottom