Your Chase

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
I'm sure this has been done before so forgive me...

If the chase is obviously here to stay, what is your dream chase?
Mine would be:

Change it from 10 races to 7 races. Change the 12 qualifiers to strictly 15 and no wildcard bull****. Just the top 15 in points qualify. Reset all the qualifiers to 0 points. The tracks I would include in order would be:

1. Talledega
2. Bristol
3. The Glen
4. Atlanta
5. Darlington
6. Martinsville
7. Talledega

IMO this just screams excitement.

Terrible race choices.

I'll chime in with my format and racetracks later on. About to watch the remake Evil Dead right now. :bounce:

Top 10 in points, drivers must be within 20 points of 10th to be eligible for the 2 wildcard spots.

Lose a couple of 1.5's and insert WG and Sonoma.

Top 5 in points. Reset as the following

5. 0
4. 5
3. 10
2. 15
1. 20

So 1st basically starts with half a race lead on 5th. Run just 5 races:

5. Pocono (need a flat track, plus big and unique)
4. Richmond (represent the short track)
3. Daytona (yes I think we do need a plate track)
2. Road America (if we are going road course here might as well go with a real one.)
1. Texas (I decided have to have at least one 1.5 miler. I choose Texas because I think it is one of the better 1.5 miles and has the most seating capacity. Almost went with Atlanta, but Texas is home for me.)

I agree with all of you that they must add at least a road course into the chase. Dont really care which one as long as there is one.

Ok here is how I would set up things..

Definitely have a 10 race shootout.

If you're going to reset points after a certain amount of races you cant make it so its only for 5 or less races. Why reset points at all if you're going to race for 5 races or less? It kinds of defeats the purpose of having a long run to the finish.

So yeah 10 races, 10 drivers, no wild card. Top ten in points get in.

If you're not good enough to be in the top 10 after 20 something races then you probably dont deserve to be among the contending drivers. Dont care who you are. Earn it or say goodbye.

Racetracks would be as follows..

1.Kansas
2.Las Vegas
3.Kentucky
4.Darlington
5.Bristol
6.Martinsville
7.Sonoma/Watkins Gle/Road America (Take your pick)
8.Dover
9.New Hampshire
10.Richmond (Night race)

There you have it. Plate races do not belong in the chase. They are too dependent on what the other person does. A driver should be in their own control when it comes to winning a championship.

The road course would serve as a wild card race still, yet not be a luck based race.

My ideal Chase schedule:
  1. Daytona
  2. Phoenix
  3. Las Vegas
  4. Bristol
  5. Fontana
  6. Martinsville
  7. Texas
  8. Kansas
  9. Richmond
  10. Talladega
  11. Darlington
  12. Charlotte
  13. Dover
  14. Pocono
  15. Michigan
  16. Sonoma
  17. Kentucky
  18. Daytona
  19. Loudon
  20. Indianapolis
  21. Pocono
  22. Watkins Glen
  23. Michigan
  24. Bristol
  25. Atlanta
  26. Richmond
  27. Chicago
  28. Loudon
  29. Dover
  30. Kansas
  31. Charlotte
  32. Talladega
  33. Martinsville
  34. Texas
  35. Phoenix
  36. Homestead

My ideal Chase schedule:
  1. Daytona
  2. Phoenix
  3. Las Vegas
  4. Bristol
  5. Fontana
  6. Martinsville
  7. Texas
  8. Kansas
  9. Richmond
  10. Talladega
  11. Darlington
  12. Charlotte
  13. Dover
  14. Pocono
  15. Michigan
  16. Sonoma
  17. Kentucky
  18. Daytona
  19. Loudon
  20. Indianapolis
  21. Pocono
  22. Watkins Glen
  23. Michigan
  24. Bristol
  25. Atlanta
  26. Richmond
  27. Chicago
  28. Loudon
  29. Dover
  30. Kansas
  31. Charlotte
  32. Talladega
  33. Martinsville
  34. Texas
  35. Phoenix
  36. Homestead

That's nice Andy.......but the REAL world might suggest you get used to the final 10 races.

Odd , nobody has mentioned the extreme need to add bonus points for wins . Personally , I never understood it .

Odd , nobody has mentioned the extreme need to add bonus points for wins . Personally , I never understood it .
I'm with you there, Ted. I think it stems from NASCAR's 2003 embarassment of Matt Kenseth only winning one race but running away with the championship, while Ryan Newman won 8 races and only finished 6th in points. Seems like there's been an over-emphasis on wins ever since.

As far as my Chase, I wouldn't change it drastically. Swap Chicagoland out for Indy, making it the first Chase race, and swap Kansas out for Bristol, moving the KS race to the last weekend in Aug. That would reduce the number of 1.5's in the Chase from 5 to 3. No need to put a road course in the chase. If you move one there, that means 1 of 26 reg season races would be on RC's, and 1 of 10 Chase races would be on RC's (unless you added a new RC for a total of three).

In order for my idea to work, NASCAR would have to create a new division. There would be Sprint Cup East and Sprint Cup West, both of the division will have a minimum of 20 drivers for every race.

Towards the end of the season, each division will send their top 10 drivers (20 drivers total) to contend for the Playoff.

Tracks are as followed

1) Pocono
2) Watkins Glen
3) Bristol
4) Eldora
5) Darlington
6) Charlotte
7) Dover International Speedway
8) Martinsville
9) N. Wilkesboro
10) Daytona

Whoever finishes first in points will be crowned Champion of Sprint Cup. If there's a tie in the points, then there will be a 40 lap race between the two drivers with a mandatory four tire and fuel pit stop.

There would be Sprint Cup East and Sprint Cup West, both of the division will have a minimum of 20 drivers for every race.
Sounds good for the home viewer, I guess. I have to wonder how that would play out for the attending fan? I know I wouldn't bother attending the race if I knew my driver wasn't going to be in it. Maybe that's just me?

Sounds good for the home viewer, I guess. I have to wonder how that would play out for the attending fan? I know I wouldn't bother attending the race if I knew my driver wasn't going to be in it. Maybe that's just me?

Well, think of it this way, this would be a great chance for more drivers to get better exposure so that they too can become NASCAR stars. Right now NASCAR is primarily focused on the super star drivers, like Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and so on and so on. With an East and West Division, more drivers will get exposure and you can even have fan debating which division is best division.

Well, think of it this way, this would be a great chance for more drivers to get better exposure so that they too can become NASCAR stars. Right now NASCAR is primarily focused on the super star drivers, like Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and so on and so on. With an East and West Division, more drivers will get exposure and you can even have fan debating which division is best division.
I just can't buy into it. I like seeing my driver race, in person. If he's in the West Division I'm screwed. I'm not shelling out a $1000+ for a week of racing that doesn't involve my driver. Again, maybe that's just me? I could certainly be in the minority.

I just can't buy into it. I like seeing my driver race, in person. If he's in the West Division I'm screwed. I'm not shelling out a $1000+ for a week of racing that doesn't involve my driver. Again, maybe that's just me? I could certainly be in the minority.

Well it's the only way the Playoff format makes any sense. :p

I actually like the chase so I would do somewhat minor changes.

Keep 12 drivers with the two wildcards for most wins.

Keep current point system but instead of a total revert with Win bonuses, the first place driver after 26 races gets 12 extra points.. the system would go like this..

First place- 12
Second place - 9
third place - 7
Fourth place - 6
Fifth place - 5
Sixth place -4
Seventh place -3
Eighth place - 2
Ninth place - 1
Tenth place - 1

That way, an extra win over first place before the chase doesn't get you into sole position in the standings.

I would also add a 5pt win bonus in the chase. If a non chase driver wins they get an extra $10,000 or something. Adds a little nice incentive for non chase drivers.

My tracks would Be all types of tracks on the schedule, yes even RP tracks But I'm also adding a dirt race..

Bristol (night)
Kansas
Martinsville
Road America (Remove Pocono second date)
Darlington
Talladega
Michigan
Eldora
Atlanta
Richmond (Night)

One drastic change that I'm not gonna propose is having a win or eliminated system. Like At the start of the chase, their are 12 drivers. Well, if you're in 12th place by the end of Bristol night race, then you are out.. this creates excitement and with the win bonus, a win from fifth place in later races would get you much closer. Putting importance on wins means less likely to just settle for a decent finish.

I'm not a Chase fan by any means but if I were I'm not really sure why changes are necessary. It seems to already accomplish its goals. It goes down to the last race year after year. As far as some sort of elimination system. The point structure already does that.

If the goal is to create more viewers for the Chase then I think they've already accomplished that by getting it back onto network television in 2015.

I think that with the exception of missing a road course the Chase is a fair representation of the tracks that they already run on.

Ohhhkkkay...

In addition to the bonuses for winning races, there is also bonuses for being high in the standings. 10 for first, 8 for second, 7 for third, 6 for fourth, 5 for fifth, 4 for sixth, 3 for seventh, 2 for eighth, 1 for ninth, none for wild cards and tenth.

The tracks are as follows:

1. Kansas (one of the better 1.5 milers, good to kick off the chase with a somewhat average track)
2. Sonoma (with RA replacing Sonoma's June date -- because we need a road course in the chase and Watkins Glen and Road America would be too cold)
3. Bristol (Brrrriiisssstol baby! -- a THIRD date for bristol)
4. Talledega (but only HALF the amount of points are awarded, so it doesn't effect the champ too much)
5. Charlotte (mark the halfway point with a return to the driver's homes)
6. Martinsville (mo short trackin!)
7. Phoniex (not a bad track, in the chase before, no real reason to remove it)
8. Auto Club (before everyone calls me crazy, lets just remember how crazily awesome the March race here was -- second date for AC)
9. Richmond (even mo short trackin!)
10. Las Vegas (one of the better 1.5 milers, plus champions week is here, so may as well make the final race here. but install lights so its a night race. taking the date from the spring race)

My ideal Chase schedule:
  1. Daytona
  2. Phoenix
  3. Las Vegas
  4. Bristol
  5. Fontana
  6. Martinsville
  7. Texas
  8. Kansas
  9. Richmond
  10. Talladega
  11. Darlington
  12. Charlotte
  13. Dover
  14. Pocono
  15. Michigan
  16. Sonoma
  17. Kentucky
  18. Daytona
  19. Loudon
  20. Indianapolis
  21. Pocono
  22. Watkins Glen
  23. Michigan
  24. Bristol
  25. Atlanta
  26. Richmond
  27. Chicago
  28. Loudon
  29. Dover
  30. Kansas
  31. Charlotte
  32. Talladega
  33. Martinsville
  34. Texas
  35. Phoenix
  36. Homestead

You forgot to add expanding the chase to 43 drivers...

I know other factors may have changed things, but it is interesting to go back and look at the "what if" scenarios had the Chase never been invented. Jeff Gordon would be a 6-time champion, Jimmie and Tony would only have 2 championships each, Carl Edwards would have a pair of titles, and Harvick would have a championship and Kurt Busch wouldn't.

1. Martinsville
2. Chicago
3. Talladega
4. Texas
5. Michigan
6. Daytona Infield (or a road course that we haven't seen the past few years)
7. Pocono
8. Kentucky
9. Homestead
10. Charlotte (and change the all-star race to another track)

Dale Jr has only won three races west of the Mighty Mississippi so I would bet he would race in the east division. ;)

I like you East and West idea. However are do you determine who gets to be in the luck 20 for each division? I'd just leave each division open to whoever wanted to try and qualify for the races up to 43 cars. My thinking is most teams would stay in the east division because that is where they are located. However once they see they can get more exposure in the west division (not a lot of competition) then they might think about moving over. Also even though they are East and West divisions I'd still schedule the West division some east races and vice versa. That way you can get exposure around the nation.

1. Hickory
2. Loudon N.H
3. Iowa
4. Rockingham
5 Darlington
6. Five Flags
7. Richmond
8. Eldora
9 North Wilksboro
10 Martinsville

Every race would start with the cermonial beating(s) of cookie cutter promoters, and of the people that think they can sing! :) just because it is the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, some of the more unique tracks like Indy/Pocono/Watkins Glen/New Hampshire/Dover/etc. are more northern than most other tracks so it's difficult to have an appealing and diverse Chase schedule since they can't all be hosting in the fall. All the more reason to can the whole thing and have a championship with every track discipline included and ultimately more indicative of the best driver and team of the year.

Unfortunately, some of the more unique tracks like Indy/Pocono/Watkins Glen/New Hampshire/Dover/etc. are more northern than most other tracks so it's difficult to have an appealing and diverse Chase schedule since they can't all be hosting in the fall. All the more reason to can the whole thing and have a championship with every track discipline included and ultimately more indicative of the best driver and team of the year.
Yeah, I remember in 2001 when New Hampshire got bumped back to the day after Thanksgiving because of 9/11, I think it was something like 30 degrees there that day.

Yeah, I remember in 2001 when New Hampshire got bumped back to the day after Thanksgiving because of 9/11, I think it was something like 30 degrees there that day.

Rockingham usually had pretty low temperatures too. There just aren't many interesting places that can host that late in the season.

1. Hickory
2. Loudon N.H
3. Iowa
4. Rockingham
5 Darlington
6. Five Flags
7. Richmond
8. Eldora
9 North Wilksboro
10 Martinsville

Every race would start with the cermonial beating(s) of cookie cutter promoters, and of the people that think they can sing! :) just because it is the right thing to do.

can you imagine the exponential growth in new (social media dependant) fan interest that would be generated with all the action on the short tracks?!?!?! imagine if the Daytona/Talledega/restrictor plate "part-time F:mad:ns" were exposed to real racing for weeks in a row!!!! that's a new market for the advertisers!!!!..

and i'm pretty sure jimmy and chad would have their hands full!!! also gonna need good weather and Bristol for the last race. not sure I want to see the carnage a flat Martinsville might create with so much on the line!

If we can't get rid of the Chase format gimmick altogether, then I propose an elimination format gimmick where, like other sports, the surviving team that performs best in the last event of the season is crowned as champion.

> the top 12 in points after 26 races qualify for a 9 race elimination series
> in each of the 9 races, the driver that finishes worst is eliminated from championship contention
> after the 9th race of the elimination series (35th race of the season), nine drivers will have been eliminated and three drivers will remain in contention for the championship
> of the 3 drivers remaining in contention, the one that finishes best in the last race of the season is the season champion

With this format last year, Keselowski, Johnson & Stewart would have been the remaining contenders going into the last race at Homestead.

By finishing better than JJ & Smoke in that race, Keselowski would have been champion.

go figure . . .

1. Hickory
2. Loudon N.H
3. Iowa
4. Rockingham
5 Darlington
6. Five Flags
7. Richmond
8. Eldora
9 North Wilksboro
10 Martinsville

Dude that is a great post, I would just work up a rotation every other year to add in Winchester to the list, old IRP, Bristol, the Nashville fairgrounds, and maybe Knoxville (nationals) speedway, they can even seat more folks than Eldora. I dont have nothing against yann kees so why not add Oswego, and Thompson speedway as well. A chase event at Watkins Glen would great as well. The tracks with the biggest cold weather problems could be run in September or early October.

Back
Top Bottom