Your first car?

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
What was your first car? Mine was a 1950 Studebaker with a flathead six. Below is a picture of one similar, but mine was red. Cost me 35 bucks in '64 and I bought it from my best friend. It wasn't a very safe car because of various problems that I never fixed. One major problem was the brakes. The brakes themselves were fine, but there was a pin that kept shearing off and now and then, I would put my foot on the brake pedal and nothing would happen. Had to grab for the emergency brake handle then. As a teenager with no money, I still had lots of fun in that old car. Gas was only 29 cents a gallon and we could drive for miles on a bucks work of fuel. Sure wish I had that car today! :)

1966 Ford Fairlane.Black with bucket seats.390cid, 4 speed.Sold it to my brother,and a tree jumped out in front of him,and totaled it out.He lived to talk about it,But still has back problems.He was racing a 1968 chevelle,and the chevelle blew a right rear,and ran into him.They both lost control,and were both lucky to survive.

nice car

mine 1st one and still is mine because i have been driving for less then a year is a 2000 Chevy S-10 and it's black

Red 1967 Mercury Cougar that I bought when I was 11. 289 high performance bored, polished, balanced, and stroked, built by a family friend who once worked in the engine shop for the Wood Brothers. Every chrome accessory made for a 289 was on it. Later upgraded to a 351 Cleveland. I'd boil my aged elders in oil to have it back too. IMO the '67 Cougar is the finest piece of rolling iron ever conceived by mortal man.

A 1966 mustang I was 16 and the car came out the same year I saved up the money and got it I have been through hundreds of cars since then but Ill always remember my red cherry. JK JK

NO seriously it was a old dodge charger that use to belong to my dad I wrecked it awhile back. now I drive a 1996 suzuki sidekick

Is that your old Charger, or just AN old Charger?

Sweet ride either way.

No thats not the one I had thats just an example. It was same year, but it was black and it wasn't in as good as condition is the one in the picture.

1960 Corvair. 6 cyl. Used about 1 qt of oil a day. But it looked good.

The first car I "drove" was daddy's '54 Buick automatic, really learned to drive in Mom's '54 Fairlane stick. Mom always drove better than daddy!LOL and was a good teacher.

The first one I owned was a '64 VW Beetle with a new '65 engine cuz the previous owner had blown the original.

My first ride was a 1957 Chevrolet station wagon -- it was the hand-me-down family car. Was black, but had green interior --- my dad had the car painted black, because he didn't believe in green cars.

Had the clear plastic seat covers to keep the interior clean. Ouch. Still remember the pain of sticking to them in the summer.

My first new car was a 1964 Ford Falcon --- column shift, no carpet, no radio --- had a heater. $1500 brand new.

Originally posted by kat2220
The first one I owned was a '64 VW Beetle with a new '65 engine cuz the previous owner had blown the original.

Hey, I had that same car when I first married back in '72. No, not THAT same car, but a 64 Bug. Drove the hell out of it.

My first NEW car was a 74 Pinto wagon. Okay, don't laugh. It lasted four years and then I bought a Monte Carlo. I've had several new cars, but by far, my most favorite was my 56 Ford with a 312 and automatic. Ran that til I threw a rod and then bought a 55 Chevy. Loved both of them.

I loved my Beetle, but the funniest thing is that the 2nd day I had it, somebode stove in the "hood". Banged it out by hand and spray painted with Rustoleum!

The very first "NEW" car was the first Mercury Zephyr...what a piece of crap!

The 2nd NEW car I bought is the one I drive today, a '94 Nissan 240sx.
What a jem!

Originally posted by buckaroo
My first NEW car was a 74 Pinto wagon.  Okay, don't laugh.  It lasted four years and then I bought a Monte Carlo.  I've had several new cars, but by far, my most favorite was my 56 Ford with a 312 and automatic.  Ran that til I threw a rod and then bought a 55 Chevy.  Loved both of them.

I liked pintos''always wanted a pinto wagon too.......and a 74..
but my second new car was a 1975 ford maverick..it was ORANGE..with white stripes...

my first NEW car was a 1966 OR 67 (forget the year now) AUSTIN MGB......that was also my first 4 speed......haven't had one since.........:(
it was british racing green, couldn't keep a shine......right off the boat PIECE OF S***........got stranded in that car a lot, my car payments then were 56.42..can you believe that?
:)

Maverick. Just like the Chevy Vega (had a '72 version of that car) they make great looking hot rods for the strip.

Jeez, when I was young, I'd have given a left so and so for an MGB. Guess I'm lucky I didn't have to do that! :D

Originally posted by buckaroo
Maverick.  Just like the Chevy Vega (had a '72 version of that car) they make great looking hot rods for the strip.  

Jeez, when I was young, I'd have given a left so and so for an MGB.  Guess I'm lucky I didn't have to do that! :D

oh yeah, i thought I was hot stuff riding around in that MGB..when it wasn't breaking down that is........:D :D

I remember when I was about 7 or 8 and playing Peewee Baseball. My coach, who was a local college student, had a Triumph TR3 I believe. I rode in it once and vowed that one day I would own one. Never did. The closest I came was my '72 Porshe 914. For some reason, I always loved those little European sports cars. Would love to be able to have an original MG. Now that would be impressive.

Remember the Mercury Comet, Gremlin, or Pacer?

I really wanted that Pacer..."wider is better".

Buckster, I had a TR3 And a Porche 911 earlier in life. I just saw a new (or restored) MG today when I was at the doctor's office..ragtop!

In 63 I bought ($50) a 1950 Plymouth flathead six. All rusted out from the beach in Fla. Most of the floorboards gone, you could ride down the beach like the Flintstones.
Up graded in 64, bought a new GTO, 389, trip duces, 4 on the floor. From no power to all the power a teenager could handle then some. Would trade my first born to have it back.

Originally posted by #84 NVRA
In 63 I bought ($50) a 1950 Plymouth flathead six. All rusted out from the beach in Fla. Most of the floorboards gone, you could ride down the beach like the Flintstones.
Up graded in 64, bought a new GTO, 389, trip duces, 4 on the floor. From no power to all the power a teenager could handle then some. Would trade my first born to have it back.

back in 68 I dated a guy that had a brand new 68 GTO...that car was his baby, it had everything.........it was fast and he thought he was god's gift to women in that car, well out of the car too..........but everytime he would pick me up for a date, my friends would say...your boyfriend with the red line tires is here.........but it was a nice car........it was dark green, forget what he had under the hood, but he had power......he always talked with his buddies about what was under the hood, but clueless me didn't know......needless to say..we went on a lot of road rally's in that car, curtisty (spell) of the ft lauderdale bachelors club......

A 1969 Dodge Charger with a 440 that my dad and I rebuilt It has a really good glossy black pint job I love it and it is my Baby

My baby, also known as my 1995 Jeep Cherokee, was my first car and is what I still drive today.

I still drive the charger We built it about 6 months ago and all the local cops know of it

My first car was a 1976 (?) Pontiac Astre. Drove that thing about 40,000 VERY hard miles 'round town and even to Chicago a few times.

I think I went through 4 sets of tires before I finally blew the engine up poping the clutch at full throttle too many times. :D

I'd like to take a ride in your 1969 Dodge Charger, pettyfan4life. Those old muscle cars are nice.

Mine was a 1970 chevelle with the 300 hp 350. It had the automatic with the staple shifter on the floor. It was autumn gold with saddle interior. I had to take it out of the backyard and get it running when I was sixteen it was a sweet ride. I was out looking for parts to make it an SS clone one day and got into a four car accident. My poor chevelle was the victim of a full-size F-150. Bent the frame and it was sold as a parts car. I was sad. I still have the engine and tranny though.

Back
Top Bottom