Your Ideal Sprint Cup Cars

Acs

Team Owner
Inspired by @LewTheShoe 's thread. You are Brian France and can tell John Darby to do whatever you want. It's a year from now, near the end of the 2017 season and it's time to set how the next generation of cars will look. Again, you have complete control, you can make incremental changes or scrap everything and start anew, you're worth $1billion and don't need to listen to anyone!

How much downforce do you target? How much horsepower? How would you achieve both? How much coke do you buy tonight when your Colombian dealer comes over? Do you even use the same car models as before? What about new technologies like composite body panels vs sheet metal? Heck, do you try and make the cars more like consumer cars or not? Not even the mighty RWD v8 is off limits on this binge!

1. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, plus one European brand.

2. Not radically different from today, except a bit stronger to withstand modest contact without sustaining crippling damage. Also. I would like to see 2" or 3" more usable suspension travel at speed, if that can work without making the cars fly. But, this is a formula (i.e. a set of rules) for racecars. Purpose-built racecars. Not some candy-assed series for pretending production cars are good racing vehicles, because they are not, and the balance of performance shenanigans are like a cancer.

Also, I'd keep current chassis construction technology. It is cheap and it works. Having chassis built by many different builders is an important plus in the appeal.

3. Downforce in 2017 will be ~1,500 pounds, so I'd target less than that, maybe ~1,000 to 1,200. Sharp reduction in side force, and symmetrical so left and right sides have the same contours, unlike current cars. Also, zero rear skew pre-race and post race. I'd seriously consider the pros and cons of independent rear suspension.

4. Pushrod By God V-8's, Amen, 5.0 liters (305 cid) and 9,500 rpm, ~750 hp. Restrictor plates one time per year for the Daytona 500. The Firecracker 400 does not need plates because that race uses Daytona's road course. The two Talladega dates don't need plates because those two dates are moved to Montreal (or Mosport) and Mexico City road courses...:D

5. I'd go with 5-speed sequential-shifting transmissions.

6. No change in pit stops, so hand held dump cans, 5 studs per wheel, etc. When something is perfect, and an integral part of the spectacle of Nascar, you don't mess with it.

7. Something would be done to prevent blown engines caused by debris on the grill. Changes to the grill? Or include a mechanism to clear the debris away, like a windshield wiper type thing on the grill?

8. No changes in aerodynamic or suspension set up between qualifying and racing. Two practice sessions Saturday, then qualify and race on Sunday (or Friday/Saturday).

I would require the cars to fitted or skinned with metal that at least looks like street cars. Obviously some compromises would be needed, but only when absolutely necessary. Smaller spoliers, and more air underneath the cars too. Get rid of the exhaust decals too.

The chassis would very similar to the current ones. Do away with the HP restrictions that was imposed in 2015.

I was going to post and then the Colombian showed up.

@Acs you started this deal but you still owe us a peek at your car specs. (I guess most folks are pretty happy with the current cars, judging by the scarcity of suggestions to improve 'em.)

Step 1: Purchase a street-legal car
Step 2: Install safety equipment (roll cage, window net, etc)
Step 3: Install as big of an engine as you wish so long as it fits under the hood
Step 4: Go racing
We have a winner

Current cars lifted off the ground a little with the front splitter removed. That's all I'd change.
This +

1. Make the grills actual air intakes
2. No painted on exhaust pipes & door handles
3. Make the cars the same frame dimensions as the street cars, aesthetic designs arent enough. Just look at the real SS vs gen 6 SS. Its almost embarassing.

image.jpeg

We have a winner

This +

1. Make the grills actual air intakes
2. No painted on exhaust pipes & door handles
3. Make the cars the same frame dimensions as the street cars, aesthetic designs arent enough. Just look at the real SS vs gen 6 SS. Its almost embarassing.

View attachment 21708

That's a good point there. A skinnier car may be able to pass a little better too

Back
Top Bottom