Your Ideal Track?????

N

NewmanFan

My ideal track would be a 1.25 mile concrete surface, banked at about 30*, that will hold 100,000, put it between Charlotte and East Tennessee and race in early May and mid June.

Buy a field, build an egg-shaped oval, oh I'd say about 1.366 miles, around some guy's minnow pond. Run early spring and Labor Day weekend. Darlington sounds like a good place for it.

:D

Basically a bristol with just a little bit less banking.

A somewhat modified Pocono.

Equal, or near equal, length straights. Three distinct corners with varying degrees of banking. Total length around one mile.

Challenge the teams and the drivers to deal with it. The seating would easily configure to assure full track visibility from almost anywhere. Pit road might be a bit tricky to lay out, but it could be done.

a .75 or .8 mile bristol seats 200,000 plenty of camping facilities. somewhere around eastern ohio and western PA.
that fires me up!:D

Why not REALLY challenge these guys - a combination road course/superspeedway. 2 to 3 mile circuit with flat corners, high banks, and some right turns of each type, with at least one long straightaway.

I know, they would complain to no end about how they can't get the car to work on EVERY part of the track, but isn't that what it is all about - determine which part is most important and work on that... Besides, ALL the cars have to run the same track, so it would be equal.

Why not?

well toyguy,

They have access to a track exactly like that right now. I don't think the NASCAR folks would go for it, not sure about the majority of the fans either. Still seems as if most NASCAR fans are not big on the road courses.

Anyways, the road course run by other series at Daytona is what you describe. The only missing component is elevation change, as the layout is pretty much flat.

I have thought about this befor.
I think too many people are building 1-1/2 tracks and they need to start building shorter tracks so this is what I would do.

I would build a 3/4 mile concrete track. It would be an egg shape track with 30 degress of banking in each turn and banked straight aways 10-12 degress. I would try what ever I could to make it a 2 or 3 groove track.

The reason I want it concrete is because it lasts longer and easier to take car eof than blacktop.
I want it an odd shape not simetrical but still an oval so a smaller darlinton is good.

I would locate the track around the Indiana Ohio( North west ohio) boarder so that it's still close to a major racing region but still where there is no major NASCAR event. Located about 3 hours from Indy would be good.

A new road type course, like Road Atlanta! But I like rctogy's idea a LOT....but put it in my back yard, please!

But I really love ALL the short tracks, reminds me of my long ago youth:D

Originally posted by HardScrabble
A somewhat modified Pocono.

Equal, or near equal, length straights. Three distinct corners with varying degrees of banking. Total length around one mile.

Challenge the teams and the drivers to deal with it. The seating would easily configure to assure full track visibility from almost anywhere. Pit road might be a bit tricky to lay out, but it could be done.

I think you can find your track up in Canada. There's a place called Sanair Superspeedway in Quebec, it's a 1.3KM (about .8 miles) triangle-shaped track. Short enough for beating and banging, but you can run 2-3 wide and put on a good show. The pit road starts at the entrance of turn 3, and ends at the exit of turn 1. The old ACT Pro Stock Series used to race there, but the track's gotten run down of late, due to neglect. If someone can come up with some cash to renovate it, I think it's be a great place to bring WC north of the border.

Actually got the idea from Concord Motorsports Park which has a half-mile track configured pretty much the way I would want to see a larger track.

Went to a few races at Concord and it is one fast track and has some great races.

It has one straight that is noticeable shorter, kinda makes set-up just a tad trickier. I do believe that either layout could make for an excellent WC venue.

Not a great shot, but Concord looks like this.

I like that track its cool looking. Build nice grandstands all around the track to seat 125,000. And nice garages.

Back
Top Bottom