Your interest is a favorite Nascar manufacturer... Strong, Moderate, or Zero?

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
Between Chevy, Ford, and Toyota in Nascar competition, how much do you care about the three OEM brands? Are you a fan of a driver and completely indifferent to what brand he races? Or are you a Chevy (or Ford or Toyota) guy first, and root only for drivers who race that brand? Or somewhere in between?

For me, the answer is: Moderate.

I'm a Ford guy to a moderate degree. There is history there for me going back to David Pearson in the Wood Brothers 21 and Holman-Moody before that. And I like that Ford did not require a government bail out in 2008.

I don't drive a Ford currently, and have not owned too many of them over the years. And if Brad Keselowski (my favorite driver) moved to another brand, he would still remain my fav. Also, when Harvick moves to Ford next year, I'll still regard him as a disingenuous low-life, and a dirty driver, and will not root for him.

Zero & I never really understood the attraction to any particular brand. Just produce something that I find appealing, reliable, comfortable & fuel efficient and I'm good to go. I never cared what badge my vehicle carried.

Same for NASCAR. I root for drivers, not makes of vehicles.

Since all the cars are the same now (spec racers) I don't care much for what brand does anything on track.
A slight leaning towards Ford and against Chevy but very slight.

I don't care about the auto manufacturers any more (and haven't for a long time). The cars quit being much like anything on the road by the 1960s, and the current cars are pretty much all the same except for identification stickers and the brand of engine supposedly under the hood.

I quit rooting for favorite drivers years ago too. I seem to jinx them. I admit that I will root for an underdog if he is having a good race, but that will probably only be for that one race. I'll also admit that there are certain drivers whom I don't like so I sometimes root against them - but even then mostly I'm rooting more for an underdog to beat them rather than for them to lose.

I'm only interested in competition. I root for close racing and passing performed on the track rather than in the pits.

I adopted Chevy because the drivers I've liked throughout my time as a fan have always driven Chevys. Largely as a consequence of that, the first two cars I've purchased in my life were Chevys. I'm well aware that the cars are little more different than headlight decals, but that loyalty is hard to give up. It will be weird next year rooting for a Ford driver. If SHR went to Toyota, I would be finding a new driver.

Kind of like most of you, I don't really care that much because they all look alike. But if they were more like the showroom models, I'd care a lot more.

I used to pull for only Fords in my early years, but the cars all seem the same now and its more pulling for the driver.

I was a Mopar guy but that takes a back seat to the drivers for me. I do like to see different manufactures represented but it is the racing that is important to me.

In a tandem race, Gordon and Bayne worked well together (Chevy/Ford) but the next plate race had manufacturer orders so only Fords helped Fords and Chevys only helped Chevys, I felt that nonsense diminished my interest in the race and my opinion of the manufacturers went down.

Kind of like most of you, I don't really care that much because they all look alike. But if they were more like the showroom models, I'd care a lot more.
This plus I'm a Mopar guy and there ain't none in Nascar no more.

When I got into NASCAR , the makes didnt matter to me as I was just a kid, I became a fan of Irvan when he driving the Kodak Lumina, then he went to fords, and then back to GM in the Pontiac's . For me it is more about the driver than the make, for my personal life, I am Japanese car guy, so I have a soft spot for Toyota's in NASCAR.

I was born into a Ford family. The Woods Brothers and Pearson were my first to root for. In the mid 70' this guy from Dawsonville kept showing up in a T_Bird. He became my driver. When COT came onto the scene my interest in manufacturers dropped off. Guess it really doesn't matter to me anymore.

My first car was a Ford Explorer purchased by my parents so I didn't have much choice - prefer Chevy to them. Since then I have purchased two Mopars.

On Sundays I rooted for Jeff Gordon and nobody else and now I root for Chase and nobody else. If Mr. H ever decided to go away from Chevy I'd be right there rooting for Chase regardless.

On a scale of 1-10 I am about a 2 in terms of what happens on a racetrack. On the street I'm a 10 ;)

As Lew the Shoe said on his opening post.... I go back to the Holman-Moody days.... always a FoMoCo fan..... mainly because of Holman-Moody and the Wood Brothers.... kept the faith with Bud Moore.... then the Elliotts..... ..... done cartwheels when Yates bought the 28 team and Jack Roush decided to start a team.... the early 90's was like wonderland...... Jr. Johnson.... a whole lot of teams driving FoMoCo..... but.. it was shortlived...... they started dropping like flies..... by the time 2002 came around ..... Jack was the flagship team and then he sold out to John Henry and it went all to hell in a handbasket.... Now ........if it weren't for Penske.... Ford might as well just pull out..... gonna' be interesting to see what SHR does next year and who they team with......

As far as being a manufacture fan or driver fan or racing fan..... Since the COT bull**** and common templates and almost IROC...... I really don't care anymore..... I guess I am more a driver fan...... but..... I actually have no favorite driver since Mark quit......... to tell you the truth all the bull that they are cramming down our throats now and telling us we like it like the chase and qualifying....... I've lost interest and if it gets any worse..... this fan of 50 or so years will probably just write it off as being a good ride while it lasted........

I watch all forms of motorsports first and foremost for the competition and racing action between the drivers. The last thing on my mind while watching a race is the auto manufacturer of a car. However, I will say that I tend to prefer Japanese auto manufacturers to perform better than all other manufacturers solely because those are the cars I enjoy driving in my life. It would be a different story if there was a classic American muscle car series (I think we can all agree those were the greatest cars ever created).

The manufacturer doesn't mean a thing to me and I am a race fan first. The manufacturers and Nascar don't care about differentiating between the cars and if they don't care it is hard for me to imagine why I would.

I'm a longtime GM owner who comes from a GM family. All things equal, I pull for the Chevys over the other manufacturers in Nascar and all forms of racing. But I'm a fan of the driver first and foremost.

I mean I used to like Ford the most, but when your driver drives 4 makes in 4 years it really doesnt matter

Between Chevy, Ford, and Toyota in Nascar competition, how much do you care about the three OEM brands? Are you a fan of a driver and completely indifferent to what brand he races? Or are you a Chevy (or Ford or Toyota) guy first, and root only for drivers who race that brand? Or somewhere in between?

I'm a Ford guy to a moderate degree. There is history there for me going back to David Pearson in the Wood Brothers 21 and Holman-Moody before that. And I like that Ford did not require a government bail out in 2008.

I don't drive a Ford currently, and have not owned too many of them over the years. And if Brad Keselowski (my favorite driver) moved to another brand, he would still remain my fav. Also, when Harvick moves to Ford next year, I'll still regard him as a disingenuous low-life, and a dirty driver, and will not root for him.

I was a Dale Sr. fan so chevy was the car choice. I like MM but not Jack so I had nothing to do with Ford. Brad went from JMS chevy to Penske Dodge. Now I cheer for the Fords by default same as I did Chevy. For some reason I never cotton to anyone yet in a Toda.

Last edited:
When it comes to NASCAR I don't care what they drive. I don't like Ford's but I was a long time fan of Jeff Burton. Liked him in Ford's and liked him in Chevy's. I'll still like Harvick next year as well. If I like a driver they can drive whatever and I'm a fan. Dale Jr could end up in a Toyota I not care.

I would care a lot more if the cars were different. I find I cheer more for the teams now rather than the stickers. I like Penske including the 21 and CGR right now so I guess I'm a Ford and Chevy guy. I used to cheer for the Pontiacs but I drive a Ram truck now so I would love for Dodge to come back into the sport but I know that's not happening any time soon.

Pretty much the same.

I started out being Mfg specific and only wanting Fords to win. First race was 90 Valleydale Meats 500 a BIR where Mark lost to Davey by 8 or 6 inches, can't remember exactly. I followed Mark and Roush pretty close as well as Yates and Johnson teams but lived and died by Mark's performance (I died a lot). But I still followed Mark when he went to the 01 Chevy and even to Waltrip and the Toyotas even though it was hard. I've had more Ford's than anything else but recognize the quality of all makes. Had a couple Tacomas even. I'd still follow Brad if he went to another Mfg but I'd probably find a Ford to cheer for too. And it wouldn't be that POS Harvick. Probably Clint......

$$$$$$ I'm a big fan of Toyota $$$$$$

Toyota is not stupid and obviously feels it gets a substantial ROI. With so much of the manufacturer being either unseen or not being regarded by the average fan IDK what the ROI would be though.

Look at my screen name. I have to admit, that I do not own a Chevrolet at the moment though. I drive an Isuzu Rodeo and my wife drives a Nissan Versa. I've just always been a Chevrolet guy. My all time favorite car is a late 80s Monte Carlo Aerocoupe

When it comes to NASCAR I don't care what they drive. I don't like Ford's but I was a long time fan of Jeff Burton. Liked him in Ford's and liked him in Chevy's. I'll still like Harvick next year as well. If I like a driver they can drive whatever and I'm a fan. Dale Jr could end up in a Toyota I not care.
I don't like how people will abandon a driver just because of a manufacturer change. I kept pulling for Bobby Labonte when he went to Dodge, then Ford. I know several diehard bowtie Harvick fans who will change drivers. I don't like to question fanhood, except in that case.

I dunno how to answer this. So far I haven't really seemed to care much about the car brand and technology, I think I've said before that I watch for the human element above all else. I also don't particularly like cars in general, because, well, I don't drive hardly ever. I've only ever driven Nissan vehicles though, so maybe if those new manufacturer rumors come true I might need to pick another favorite team if it could kindle a connection between what I (occasionally) drive and what they race. At the same time, however, I've been scoping out my next sedan, and I'm leaning towards a ford fusion... in white.

Driver, driver and driver. I don't care for manufactures

... I also don't particularly like cars in general, because, well, I don't drive hardly ever. ...
I've never played golf; indeed, I suspect I would find it a most frustrating experience. That doesn't stop me from enjoying watching it played at the professional level.

Lots of people watch sports they've never participated in. Lots don't watch sports they've played. Experience or the lack don't always align with entertainment viewing.

My Dad was a Ford guy, so I grew up with some of that loyalty relative to racing. But it hardly matters in today's NASCAR world. I tend to root for certain owners and teams over others. But as far as rooting for headlight decals, it would make as much sense to root for all red cars and hate blue ones. Which is cool, that's probably how my four year old son watches. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
Brand loyalty is a thing of the past.
It really is Bobby....... and I think that might contribute somewhat to the lack of interest now.... not to say there aren't other greater factors involved...... but..... starting in '90....... G.M. went to a front wheel drive platform..... the Cup cars of course were not close to that as they were rear wheel drive..... As I recall, the Thunderbird was the last production rear wheel drive car entered in Nascar and that went away after '98....... I took pride in knowing it was the last closest to stock entry out there....... We lost Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile in the 90's..... or maybe the early 21st century.... then Dodge...... there's not much pride in manufacturer loyalty when when all the models you see racing on the track ...... don't exist......... you go try to buy one on the lot and they are all 4 door slugs that your grandma would buy...... I really don't understand why any of the manufactuers are still putting any money behind the teams because ''Win on Sunday, buy on Monday '' has been gone for years.......

Brand loyalty is a thing of the past.

Tbh, I struggled to understand how it was even a thing. I couldn't imagine a machine being the source of bias as a fan over the driver who has a personality, thinks, and feels.

I know it's not objectively they case, but my logic is basically if i meet a new friend and get a new car, I will always like the friend better

Back
Top Bottom