Your opinion on Chase Grid if final round was 3 races?

Would you support a Chase Grid more if the Championship 4 was 3 races like the rest?

• Yes

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

racingfan7

Start and Park
Contributor
1 - Daytona 500
2 - Atlanta
3 - Las Vegas
4 - Phoenix
5 - Auto Club
6 - Martinsville
7 - Texas
8 - Bristol
9 - Richmond
10 - Talladega
11 - Kansas
12 - Charlotte
13 - Dover
14 - Pocono
15 - Michigan
16 - Sonoma
17 - Daytona
18 - Kentucky
19 - New Hampshire
20 - Indianapolis
21 - Pocono
22 - Watkins Glen
23 - Michigan
24 - Bristol
--- Round of 16, regular season champion receives bye into Round of 12, win advances to next round ---
25 - Darlington
26 - Richmond
27 - Chicago
--- Round of 12, win advances to next round ---
28 - New Hampshire
29 - Dover
30 - Charlotte
--- Round of 8, win advances to next round ---
31 - Talladega
32 - Kansas
33 - Martinsville
--- Championship 4, most points is champion ---
34 - Texas
35 - Phoenix
36 - Homestead-Miami

Just thought it was interesting, you'd have a shorter regular season, ending at Bristol of all places, with the Round of 16 starting at Darlington. NASCAR does need to find consistency within their way to crown a champion, but I personally thought this was better for all 3 series.

More of a chance for a team to catch fire and there to be Game 5 or Game 6 moments by dominating at Texas & Phoenix.

It's still stupid, but having three races rather than one makes the championship less random. As others have mentioned, you could win 35 races under this system, and still not win the championship, which is absurd. This would allow a little more reasonable margin of error.

I would like to see the final four to be decided over three races better than the current system except I would make the Chase only 12 races with 12 competitors and give the regular season champ a bye into the round of 8 and perhaps a fat check ($1M) and a trophy of some sorts. I would also only allow a regular season race winner to make the Chase only if he/she is in the top 25 in regular season points. No injury exceptions. It would still be a flawed system but better than what currently exists, IMHO.

It would make it slightly less gimmicky, and for that reason I voted yes.

I'm not sure. They'd have to change the number of races in the playoff or reduce the number of rounds. The current chase is close to a third of the season.

I would like to see the final four to be decided over three races better than the current system except I would make the Chase only 12 races with 12 competitors and give the regular season champ a bye into the round of 8 and perhaps a fat check ($1M) and a trophy of some sorts. I would also only allow a regular season race winner to make the Chase only if he/she is in the top 25 in regular season points. No injury exceptions. It would still be a flawed system but better than what currently exists, IMHO.

Apart from dealing with a terrorist, nothing is more distasteful then extending any legitimacy to one of Brian's turds.

It's still stupid, but having three races rather than one makes the championship less random. As others have mentioned, you could win 35 races under this system, and still not win the championship, which is absurd. This would allow a little more reasonable margin of error.

How is that different from being 73-9 and losing in the championship? (Ref to Golden State Warriors for those that don't follow) or 18-1 Patriots?
BTW according to all the data around here, the NBA is growing its fan base opposed to other sports.

The whole reason other sports have playoffs is to make it more interesting. The Chase isn't perfect but it is interesting and it seems like they are trying to improve it any way they can. I'm sorry you don't like it and hope you can find something about it to enjoy.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have watched the Charlotte or Kansas races if the chase were not in effect. The racing at these tracks just isn't that exciting to watch, but with the chase, it makes it more interesting for me to see how the best cars react to the unforseen circumstances that pop up.

To the OP, instead of having 12 weeks of playoffs, I would just prefer that the final cutoff is eliminated before Homestead and the top 8 would race the last 4 races to crown a champion.
In addition to the regular season champion getting a bye to the final round, if you win in the playoffs you make the final round of 8.
I would also switch Martinsville and Talladega.

--- Round of 16, regular season champion receives bye into Round of 12, win advances to round of 8---
27 - Chicago
28 - New Hampshire
29 - Dover
--- Round of 12, win advances to round of 8---
30 - Charlotte
32 - Kansas
33 - Martinsville
--- Round of 8---
31 - Talladega
34 - Texas
35 - Phoenix
36 - Homestead-Miami

NASCAR just has to come to the realization, they are trying to cram 4 hours into a time slot that is overfilled. The NFL, MLB playoffs, hunting season, final days you can spend outdoors in the northern states, there is simply no time for me to watch a race from start to finish. maybe I'll catch the last laps, but Brian France, and NBC, need to learn this time of year isn't for NASCAR, and no gimmicks will change that, unless junior has a legitimate shot at winning the championship. Then I would pack my bags and spend the last week in Miami.

How is that different from being 73-9 and losing in the championship? (Ref to Golden State Warriors for those that don't follow) or 18-1 Patriots?
BTW according to all the data around here, the NBA is growing its fan base opposed to other sports.

The whole reason other sports have playoffs is to make it more interesting. The Chase isn't perfect but it is interesting and it seems like they are trying to improve it any way they can. I'm sorry you don't like it and hope you can find something about it to enjoy.

Personally, I probably wouldn't have watched the Charlotte or Kansas races if the chase were not in effect. The racing at these tracks just isn't that exciting to watch, but with the chase, it makes it more interesting for me to see how the best cars react to the unforseen circumstances that pop up.

The minor glitch is that this isn't footyball or dribble ball . It is racing . And , as far as I know , no other form of auto racing ( maybe no other form of racing period ) has ever been subjected to this foolishness . It's simply an embarrassment .

I am glad you enjoy the current chase format as I like to hear views that differ from mine.

I voted yes because I don't like the idea of someone winning the championship simple because he was better on that one day.
Shorten the chase, go back to 10 drivers for 10 races. This would prevent Denny from practicing to much because 1 win might not put you in the chase. Take Dega out, the chase is a lottery so we don't need that type of track to be included.
I now agree that the Chase is better than season long champion, how ever the top team of the regular season earns a spot in the final 3 race showdown.

The minor glitch is that this isn't footyball or dribble ball . It is racing . And , as far as I know , no other form of auto racing ( maybe no other form of racing period ) has ever been subjected to this foolishness . It's simply an embarrassment .

To be fair, some might call this innovative on NASCAR's part and soon all of racing will have a playoff system of some kind. F1 was just purchased by an American company. I'm willing to bet, they have some kind of a playoff in the next few years. Ditto Indycar just to keep up with the others.

To be fair, the NBA finals is best of 7 games, not best of 1. That's a pretty big reason as to how it's different. I don't mind the Super Bowl being best of 1 since going by # of games, single NFL games are, statistically speaking, the most important single event in professional sports. NASCAR would be 2nd.

I personally love elimination races in the Chase. Love it. The old system of determining a champion bored me rotten. Just my personal opinion. Did it make for a more "deserving" champion...maybe (just like handing the Cubs a trophy two weeks ago would have crowned a "deserving" champion, while also putting most baseball fans to sleep two months ago. No difference.) But I like adding pressure, short term performance and the element of "do or die"/clutchness/performing when the stakes are highest to the test of what I consider to be a true champion. It comes down to your definition of champion and/or deserving. Mine requires how you perform under pressure.

As for what I'd change if you made me king for a day: I would just start the chase in New Hampshire, and make it three rounds of three races. Eliminate 8 teams after the first three races, then 4 teams after the next round, then most points in the next three races is champ. You can't lengthen the Chase as OP suggests. Sponsors are already getting very little value in the sport as it is...and once the Chase starts, cars that aren't still alive pretty much become invisible to the broadcast.

I thought the 10 car Chase where 1-10 was seeded by regular season position was the best in terms of an actual NASCAR/motorsports playoff.

Since NASCAR is leaving it the way it is, these would be a bit more realistic. A more balanced schedule in all 3 rounds.

---Round of 16, regular season point leader gets bye into Round of 12---
27 - Watkins Glen (Chicago moves back to summer night race in Watkins Glens place)
28 - New Hampshire
29 - Charlotte (Move it to Chase elimination race)
---Round of 12
30 - Dover (Better race as opener IMO)
31 - Talladega
32 - Kansas
---Round of 8---
33 - Martinsville
34 - Texas
35 - Phoenix
---Championship 4---
36 - Homestead-Miami (Make the finale 500 miles)

NXS & Truck Series regular season point leaders get pit stall selection throughout until elimination.

To be fair, some might call this innovative on NASCAR's part and soon all of racing will have a playoff system of some kind. F1 was just purchased by an American company. I'm willing to bet, they have some kind of a playoff in the next few years. Ditto Indycar just to keep up with the others.
The seasons aren't nearly long enough for a playoff format and the points scales already are heavily weighted towards winning.

Boston Consulting Group recommended IndyCar have a three-race playoff a few years ago but thankfully they haven't implemented it.

There is a very simple chase system that would satisfy everyone on all sides . Every seven races , they drop five slowest cars from the field . ( likely by adding additional points to the remaining cars) . So , after 35 races , there is one car left that can claim the championship at Homestead . I am sending this to Brian via a Boston based racing consulting firm and hoping fora large commission.

No wait .. 40 cars ... Right ? ..... Gotta get my nurse in here to help with math.

OK we got it figured out . So we call the entire season the "Chase" right ? Because that will trick all the stick and ball fans into watching Nascar racing because every race is like a game 7 .so every 4 th race we eliminate the bottom 5 cars . ( That'll get rid of Danica and the Dillons quickly ) Then we get to the final 8 races ( the playoffs, sudden death cage match) where we eliminate the bottom 2 cars per race , then at Homestead we are down to one car , but he has to complete the race or we carry over the championship to the following year . Double damn jeopardy. How cool is that ?

Overlooking my Chase hatred, your proposal has the Chase taking up fully a third of the season. If this were implemented, I'd eliminate the Round of 16 entirely and start the Chase at Dover with Round of 12.

Many, many worthy ideas here.

That said, NASCAR, if it wants change, will probably commission Keselowski write the directive. He did so well with the all star thing.

Okay, let's get radical here.
  • Bump the bonus for winning from 3 points to 8, totaling 50 points for a win.
  • Split the season into six segments of six races each. The last 6-race segment becomes the Chase.
  • One option is to tweak the schedule enough so that each 'regular season' segment has as similar a mix of tracks as possible. Another is to alter it radically so that each segment has as many similar races as possible - a short-track segment, a restrictor plate segment, two 1.5-mile segments, etc. Either way, no plate races after race 27.
  • The points are reset between segments.
  • The Chase field will be 10 drivers. For each of the five regular season segments, the two drivers with the most points automatically qualify for the playoff. If one or more drivers finishes in the top 2 for multiple segments and the field is less than 10, 'wild cards' will be selected from the remaining drivers bases on the most points in any segment.
  • Alternatively, the Chase field will up to 10 drivers. If some drivers are in the top two in multiple segments and the Chase field is less than 10 drivers, so be it.
  • All Chase drivers will be reset to 2000 points, plus 4 bonus for each win. Non-Chase drivers will be reset to their total points for all five regular season segments. Once the Chase starts, there will be no other eliminations or resets.
  • During the Chase, all races will award double the regular season points, except the bonus for winning will increase from 8 to 13.
  • The champion will be the Chase driver with the most points over the final six races.
Gods, I spent way more time on this than it's worth, considering ain't none of it every gonna happen and that my preference is still for a 36-race winner take all.

OK here's a simple one . Start at Daytona , award the championship to the winner then deduct points for each race till Homestead and declare everyone else second place winners .

Back
Top Bottom