Youtube TV and NASCAR

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
For those cable cutters like me, Youtube TV may be the best thing to get your NASCAR fix.

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/youtube-tv-skinny-bundle/

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2017/02/finally-live-tv-made-for-you.html?m=1

IMG_8868.PNG

This is the TV of the future. Sling TV made it popular & further competition will streamline it.

For those cable cutters like me, Youtube TV may be the best thing to get your NASCAR fix.

View attachment 25455

This is the TV of the future. Sling TV made it popular & further competition will streamline it.
Yep, this looks like a good option as well as many that @AndyMarquisLive and others mentioned in the Cord Cutters Thread.

At some point, I'll be taking this route. The only drawback is the portability of it.

Yep, this looks like a good option as well as many that @AndyMarquisLive and others mentioned in the Cord Cutters Thread.

At some point, I'll be taking this route. The only drawback is the portability of it.
Youtube TV is portable on any device you can sign into with an internet connection. You can chromecast Youtube TV as well to any television with a USB port.

Sports has been all that prevents me from cutting the cable. Definitely will be looking into this.

The first thing I look for is NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice and if I can't get those channels I am stuck.

Youtube TV is portable on any device you can sign into with an internet connection. You can chromecast Youtube TV as well to any television with a USB port.
The internet connection is exactly what I'm talking about. That doesn't exist everywhere I go.

Currently I use Dish Network for my television service. I can take it anywhere, internet connection or not.

Just dont visit andy anymore
lol. As a matter of fact, I did that once. I met him down @ the fall Martinsville race. I think it was the same weekend that Hurricane Sandy hit the coast in 2012. Coincidence? I think not. If I remember right, he was complaining about his internet connection back then. ;)

I'll wait and see with this one. I considered Sling TV once but the quality/reliability just wasn't there. Hopefully this will be the answer.

I'll wait and see with this one. I considered Sling TV once but the quality/reliability just wasn't there. Hopefully this will be the answer.
@AndyMarquisLive has mentioned Playstation Vue. It looks like a real good option as well. Don't let the word Playstation confuse you though. You do not need a Playstation for the service.

View attachment 25455

Streaming TV will put cable and satellite out of business. A lot of, most actually, new TV shows are only on Netflix too.

The only saving grace for satellite is that areas that don't have internet now will never get it. Even then, they're pricing themselves out of business. I know more and more people who just won't pay for it.

lol. As a matter of fact, I did that once. I met him down @ the fall Martinsville race. I think it was the same weekend that Hurricane Sandy hit the coast in 2012. Coincidence? I think not. If I remember right, he was complaining about his internet connection back then. ;)

That was my phone. Although I saw on Twitter that phone service has gotten much better at the track since sprint exited the sport. I always thought they did stuff to block cell signal and the tweets I saw Sunday seems to confirm that.

Reactions: Pat
I'm holding out on these streaming services. Still have Direct TV and am fine with it. Don't have any internet because all our phones can access the internet so there is really no need for it at home.

I'm holding out on these streaming services. Still have Direct TV and am fine with it. Don't have any internet because all our phones can access the internet so there is really no need for it at home.
I wonder if your data costs are more or less than the cost of internet / wifi at home?

Streaming media is far and away superior to cable and satellite. Most new TV shows and documentaries and stuff are coming out exclusively on Netflix. And now, even movies are coming out only on digital media, or come out a full month on "digital media" before DVD. Vue gives you access to all their networks' On Demand content and has cloud DVR.

Satellite TV, you still have to wait for something to come on to watch it and you're limited to whatever is on TV right now. You can only do "On Demand" if you have high speed internet. Which, if you had internet that could support that, there's virtually no benefit to keeping satellite TV.

Traditional cable offers the same stuff as VUE and others, but at more than three times the cost.

I was authorized an iPhone at work last fall. After several months with it, I can't ever see any phone as my preferred device for accessing the Internet. Gimme that big screen and full-sized keyboard with tactile feedback.

Reactions: Pat
... Satellite TV, you still have to wait for something to come on to watch it and you're limited to whatever is on TV right now. You can only do "On Demand" if you have high speed internet. Which, if you had internet that could support that, there's virtually no benefit to keeping satellite TV. ...
Too much on satellite for me to watch now, and the DVR backlog grows despite my efforts to catch up. I've never made an attempt to watch anything 'On Demand', and would need to Google or otherwise locate the instructions

I'm not sure what you meant by 'wait for something to come on'. I turn the box and receiver on and they're up in less than 5 seconds.

Too much on satellite for me to watch now, and the DVR backlog grows despite my efforts to catch up.

When I had DIRECTV, and Dish after that, I didn't have DVR. Often times, there was nothing on. It seems like when there's something good on, there's something good on six channels, and then there's nothing on for hours after that. I could probably live with DVR. But it's still a step back from streaming media.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'wait for something to come on'. I turn the box and receiver on and they're up in less than 5 seconds.

I'm talking about, if there's an old show you like that comes on, you have to wait for it to come on TV to watch or record it like in the 1990s. And if you miss an episode of your favorite TV show and didn't record it (or your satellite went out), you're SOL. Whereas, in the streaming media world, you can watch on your TV on demand and watch thousands and thousands of shows on Netflix on demand.

Us young people like "on demand" and like binge watching TV shows. I also like the uncompressed 1080p HD picture on streaming media whereas satellite and cable is heavily compressed and presented in 720p. And yes, there's a "YUUUGE" difference. My local CW station is 720p, whereas the CW on demand app is in 1080p and, on some devices, 4K. And Melissa Benoist looks damn good in ultra high definition. :booya:

The picture quality when I had Dish was ... different. I didn't even know what to make of it. Audio quality was awful too -- I almost bought a surround sound system just so I could hear ****. My Samsung TV has an option to level the audio on all sources though.

Ah. I don't watch many old shows. I don't know what's on Netflix, so I can't miss what I'm not aware of. I rarely binge watch unless two consecutive episodes meets the threshold.

I guess it boils down to content consumption habits. Regardless of the delivery platform, I have no clue who Melissa Benoist is; one of those nameless Monster girls, maybe? :D

The first thing I look for is NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice and if I can't get those channels I am stuck.

NFL Sunday Ticket might be the one and only thing that gets me on DIRECTV. I'm gonna screw around wish Dish first and see if they'll let me get Jacksonville, Florida's local channels and MASN Sports. I get all the local stations in Raleigh over the air, so I don't really need them on cable.

DIRECTV is so expensive though.

I guess it boils down to content consumption habits.

And price as well. Millennials are poor, compared to preceding generations and they search out "better deals" all the time. Streaming media is dirt cheap compared to cable and satellite, which is three times the price or more. Plus, streaming media doesn't lock you into long term contracts, another problem with the dying cable/satellite TV model.

Cable is refusing to adapt to the changing world. And so are some TV networks (VIACOM, mainly).

Regardless of the delivery platform, I have no clue who Melissa Benoist is

melissa-benoist-supergirl-gender.jpg

Some streaming services are hit and miss with quality and if their PQ fades while watching. It's still not foil proof.

One thing I noticed about YouTube is no Turner channels. That's bad if you love watching the NBA or the NCAA basketball tournament.

Wanna figure out how to program the DVR to record each commercial Milana Vayntrub is in.

Damn…. That makes one hurt for bein’ born way too soon…….

NFL Sunday Ticket might be the one and only thing that gets me on DIRECTV. I'm gonna screw around wish Dish first and see if they'll let me get Jacksonville, Florida's local channels and MASN Sports. I get all the local stations in Raleigh over the air, so I don't really need them on cable. DIRECTV is so expensive though.
I think both satellite providers limit you to the local stations in your area only. No getting FL stations in NC.

I like this has all the channels I watch including FXX which is great for my Simpsons addiction

Some streaming services are hit and miss with quality and if their PQ fades while watching. It's still not foil proof.

I never had those issues with Vue and I was on a 10MBPS connection, which is way below the "national average".

Right now, I'm using a Sprint mobile hotspot for internet but it's only 768kbps, I can't even watch a YouTube video on it. And that's the best option here.

I use Sling without issue. Most complaints about sling's reliability more than likely stem from outdated or faulty coax cables in the home.

I use Google Chromecast to "cast" current YouTube content to my TV / sound system from an iPad. It's flawless.

Back
Top Bottom