Zippy back with Stewart?

MRM

Team Owner
That's the rumor on Jayski and on Twitter. If I'm not mistaken, Zippy's contract with JGR is up at the end of the year. It would be a big jump for Zippy. He's been with JGR a long time, is a man of faith and works for a man of faith. But he and Stewart have a strong friendship. I thought getting Grubb was huge for SHR, I thought he was the next great crew chief. They won a lot of races and should have won the championship in year one, but have underperformed the last year and a half.

C'mon Gibbs..Throw Zippy a bone.. Fire young Joey from that 20 Seat!!

I think Tony's problem is that he's an owner/driver. That combo hasn't worked for years. It worked in the past but because of the level that this sport has progressed, it doesn't work anymore.
I think he has too much on his plate. I don't think Zippy will be Tony's solution.

Man i hope he does. I dont know what it is about Zippy but he seems to be able to get the fire going inside of Tony. You dont hear the same intensity in him when grubb has been on his radio. I know there is no for sure chance they can gel the same as they did before but man anything is worth a shot at this point.

UPDATE: There was a published report this week that Greg Zipadelli, Stewart's long-time crew chief at Joe Gibbs Racing, might move to Stewart-Haas and Stewart's crew chief, Darian Grubb, would become the team's director of competition. "I laughed when I saw that," Stewart said. "It's not the first time I've read something that's not true."(Sports Illustrated)(6-22-2011)

UPDATE: There was a published report this week that Greg Zipadelli, Stewart's long-time crew chief at Joe Gibbs Racing, might move to Stewart-Haas and Stewart's crew chief, Darian Grubb, would become the team's director of competition. "I laughed when I saw that," Stewart said. "It's not the first time I've read something that's not true."(Sports Illustrated)(6-22-2011)

This isn't the first time either that we read a story that the parties involved said was not true turn out to be true shortly after.

Is Kenny Francis following Kahne to Hendrick?

I think so, but honestly if those 2 don't win a few times in their first year there I think Kasey needs someone else.

I like Tony, I hope this isn't taken as jab.

But Tony seems to be more of streak type of performer. He has his slumps, and he some periods were he has some incredible runs and seems unbeatable.
I will not pretend to know the causes, but I have seen it with both Zippy and Grubb. I tend to think that's more a Tony thing, than a CC thing.

I can see Zippy with Joey losing a little enthusiasm, if I was JGR I would move him over to the 18 car. There you have a super fast driver maybe in raw terms the fastest, but still lacking the consistency of Hamlin's car (I realize this year is an exception thus far). Especially in the final 10 chase races.
Zippy has two titles, and should command Kyle's respect. Kyle's points verses his speed performance is the one thing he needs to master.

I would pair Logano up with a talented young CC, and tell him no more Daddy/Son relationship, to step and be the man of the team. Time to grow up and show us you are as good as we thought you were. It's make or break.

Back to Tony, just wait for the next hot streak, it can happen with Grubb or Zippy.
I also think the owner/driver hat is to heavy, and that's the greater catalyst.

Alan Kulwicki's accomplishment was a one in a go-zillion moment, and just about an impossibility to repeat.

I don't think Martin is leaving Hendrick and I think that Kasey will be the third car at Stewarts' shop or he drives the 39 and Newman is gone. Kind of strange that Martin has said nothing about where he is going, I think he stays in the 5.

I don't think Martin is leaving Hendrick and I think that Kasey will be the third car at Stewarts' shop or he drives the 39 and Newman is gone.

I don't see that happening. Mark's contract is up at the end of this year and Hendrick has already signed Kasey.

Yeah Kahne to the #5 is a done deal. They already brought on Farmers to be his sponsor and everything.

UPDATE 2: A rough start to a season that began with high expectations has Greg Zipadelli admittedly unhappy right now. But the crew chief downplayed speculation that he's so upset with how Joey Logano has been running he's considering reuniting with Tony Stewart. Zipadelli won 33 races and two titles with Stewart, but stayed at Joe Gibbs Racing when the driver left to own a team. Now that Stewart is seeking a director of competition -- he fired Bobby Hutchens earlier this month -- there's been talk that Zipadelli could move to Stewart-Haas Racing in some capacity. But Zipadelli said he's got two years left on his contract with JGR, and no immediate plans to leave the organization. "I love Tony, he's as close to me as my brother," Zipadelli said. "But that doesn't mean anything. I love the organization I work for, they've been very positive and very supportive for over 13 years. I learned a long time ago to never say never in this sport about anything." Stewart, while not speaking specifically about Zipadelli, said SHR isn't close to hiring a new competition director. "We haven't got anywhere yet. We are still looking at our options," he said. "It would be nice to have a person in that position. We definitely want to get that role filled. At the same time, we want to make sure just like we did when we hired Bobby, we want to make sure we're hiring the right person. So we'll take our time on it."(Associated Press)(6-29-2011)

wth is a director of competition and why is one needed? another reason why nascar is pricing itself out of business. needing more sponsorship money to pay people whose job (s) aren.t necessary.

I don't see it, unless Zippy goes to Newman. I think Tony likes Grubb, I would think if Grubb did leave Stewart, he would be Jr's CC next year. I definitely could see Jr going winless again and the whole thing being blamed on Letarte. I have seen Jr, go back to old Jr the past two weeks.

I honestly don't see how a competition director is that important if SHR is getting by without one and holding out to hire someone only to fire him...just like they did when they "hired Bobby".

At least that's what I got from Stewart's comments.

Back
Top Bottom