2014 Daytona 500 Pre Race Thread

I forget it is Nascar. All the other top series would move the third place car into second position, and they would also be running in the rain...but that is a whole different animal.

I would love to see nascar run in the rain

I have absolutely no desire to see them running Daytona at 40 mph in the rain. Well , you wouldn't really see them through the rooster tails being kicked up by the lead cars , but ..that isn't racing .

I have absolutely no desire to see them running Daytona at 40 mph in the rain. Well , you wouldn't really see them through the rooster tails being kicked up by the lead cars , but ..that isn't racing .

F1 runs in the rain. VERY fast

So do kangaroos but I'm not interested in watching them .
8615009_ce3f_625x1000.jpg

F1 runs in the rain cause they make tires and setups specifically to do so. I also think a road course is vastly different to an oval in the way it effects a race in the rain.

We just have to live with mother nature.

Daytona Beach

7day.jpg

Descriptive Forecast
Saturday
Showers and thunderstorms likely. High 72F. Winds NW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
Saturday Night
A few showers this evening with mostly cloudy conditions overnight. Low 61F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Hourly6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point65 | 6572 | 6565 | 6064 | 61
Wind3 mph North5 mph NW11 mph NNE1 mph NNE
Humidity98%79%86%90%
Chance of Precip.NA60%30%0%
Cloud CoverNA68%86%80%
ConditionsNAThunderstormChance of RainOvercast

Descriptive Forecast
Sunday
Partly to mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms developing in the afternoon. High around 80F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Sunday Night
Scattered thunderstorms in the evening. Cloudy skies overnight. Low 63F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 50%.

Hourly6AM12 Noon6PM12 Midnight
Temp. | Dew Point62 | 6275 | 6569 | 6565 | 64
Wind1 mph WSW4 mph WSW6 mph NE3 mph ENE
Humidity98%73%86%95%
Chance of Precip.0%20%50%10%
Cloud Cover78%63%71%85%
ConditionsMostly CloudyMostly CloudyChance of a ThunderstormOvercast

I'm pretty sure Kenseth only moves up if Austin chooses the outside as a starting spot because Kenseth is on the inside line. In that event the entire inside line would move up a position. If Austin stays on the inside then the outside line should move up. They don't all switch sides.

This is correct.

Waltrips roof hatch came open and damaged the roof in practice this morning, but i don't know why they had the hinges towards the rear. I think they took that idea from the funny cars and we always put the hinges towards the front just so that doesn't happen. If the hinges are towards the front then the air will hold it down even if the latch comes undone at over 325 mph.:confused:

Waltrips roof hatch came open and damaged the roof in practice this morning, but i don't know why they had the hinges towards the rear. I think they took that idea from the funny cars and we always put the hinges towards the front just so that doesn't happen. If the hinges are towards the front then the air will hold it down even if the latch comes undone at over 325 mph.:confused:
What do you expect nitro, that's Mikey. :rolleyes:

Sorry, still waking up. Late night. :oops:
I like the pics you put up, it shows it really good, but i still can't figure why they did it that way. But, i bet they will change the way it is mounted.

Last edited:
Why would anyone orient the opening of a roof hatch towards the front of the car?
The hatch is designed with both front and rear hinges that are released by spring-loaded pins. Apparently they needed to do it this way to allow for the complete removal of the hatch and/or either side in case of damage. Something apparently came caught in the wire release of the pins of it was never secured to begin with. Hard to believe there would have been a complete failure.

The hatch is designed with both front and rear hinges that are released by spring-loaded pins. Apparently they needed to do it this way to allow for the complete removal of the hatch and/or either side in case of damage. Something apparently came caught in the wire release of the pins of it was never secured to begin with. Hard to believe there would have been a complete failure.
They must have it designed so they can remove the hatch completely. Ours just flips open.

SPEED TV Australia @SPEEDTVAUS

Don't forget to set your alarms! Tune in at 4am AEDT

Now, that's the way to start out your day.

Back
Top Bottom