#3-Austin Dillon, 34 points
#42-Kyle Larson, 26
#51-Justin Allgaier, 25
#26-Cole Whitt, 23
#7-Michael Annett, 22
#23-Alex Bowman, 20
#30-Parker Kligerman, 15
#83-Ryan Truex, 14

If anyone out there has a good explanation of how these points are accumulated, feel free to post.

This is what I found on Jayski but I still don't understand.....

Car#-Driver, Races Attempted/Races Run; Attempt Pt + Race Rookie Pts + Bonus Pts = Total Rookie Pts

My calculations using the last know rules (see above):
#3-Austin Dillon, 3/3; 3 + 29 + 2 = 34
#42-Kyle Larson, 3/3; 3 + 23 + 0 = 26
#51-Justin Allgaier, 3/3; 3 + 22 + 0 = 25
#26-Cole Whitt, 3/3; 3 + 20 + 0 = 23
#7-Michael Annett, 3/3; 3 + 19 + 0 = 22
#23-Alex Bowman, 3/3; 3 + 17 + 0 = 20
#30-Parker Kligerman, 3/3; 3 + 12 + 0 = 15
#83-Ryan Truex, 3/2; 3 + 11 + 0 = 14

Attempted points - self explanatory.

Race Rookie Points - scratching my head on this one. How are their positions scored? WTH is their point system?

Bonus points - I'm not getting this one either. Dillon has two points. He led one lap @ Daytona. Do they get two points for a lap led?

In any event this is probably a rookie battle to follow this year so I'll continue to post the standings until eventually everyone agrees that Austin Dillon is The Man. :D

And then they throw out each ones worst 19 races. Hell I was lost after "After 3 Races".

Race rookie points go 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Dillon has 10 from Daytona, 9 from finishing 2nd after Larson at Phoenix, and 10 for Las Vegas = 29.

Bonus points are awarded for Top 10 finishes using the same scoring as above. So Dillon has 2 bonus points for finishing 9th at Daytona.

Bonus points are awarded for Top 10 finishes using the same scoring as above. So Dillon has 2 bonus points for finishing 9th at Daytona.
I must be think headed when it comes to this bonus point thing. Why 2 points? Do you happen to have a link to this?

I must be think headed when it comes to this bonus point thing. Why 2 points? Do you happen to have a link to this?
Top 10 finishes get rewarded on the 10-9-8-...1 scale too. If a rookie were to win a race, they'd get 10 bonus points. 9th earns 2 bonus points.

The scoring system to determine the Rookie of the Year varies from NASCAR'S point system for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship. The following is a breakdown of the Rookie of the Year scoring system:

" A 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 point system is used for scoring finishing positions by the rookies. The highest-finishing rookie in each race earns 10 points, the second-highest, nine points, etc.

" Of the 36 races, only the top 17 are counted in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series rookie race.

" In order to be eligible for the Rookie of the Year award, a driver must attempt to qualify in at least eight events out of the first 20 events.

" Attempting to qualify for a race earns the rookies one bonus point, which is a bonus that is available for all 36 events.

" Bonus points are awarded for a finish in the top 10. A rookie who wins a race is awarded 10 points, second place gets nine and so on down the line with a 10th-place effort earning one point.

" Following the final race of the season, the highest-ranking rookie in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship receives 10 bonus points. The second-highest rookie earns nine points, third receives eight, etc.

http://www.jayski.com/news/stats/2014/story/_/page/2014-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-Sunoco-Rookie-of-the-Year

Larson had a good race going until he was busted for speeding on pit road, then went a lap down because of that.

Even a lap down, he was still turning laps as fast as the cars in the top 10 for the rest of the race. He was in the lucky dog spot over and over but couldn't catch a caution.

With the lap speeds he was turning I would've liked to have seen where he would have ended up had he been on the lead lap.

Larson had a good race going until he was busted for speeding on pit road, then went a lap down because of that.

Even a lap down, he was still turning laps as fast as the cars in the top 10 for the rest of the race. He was in the lucky dog spot over and over but couldn't catch a caution.

With the lap speeds he was turning I would've liked to have seen where he would have ended up had he been on the lead lap.

I believe he was the first car a lap down at the finish too..

Thanks for posting DP and FLfan.. I assumed they just got awarded points for races and those accumulated to the RoTY.

NASCAR, baffling fans since 03'

And then they throw out each ones worst 19 races. Hell I was lost after "After 3 Races".

They throw out over half the season?:confused: That's more like rookie of a half year. Leave it to NASCAR to "dumb" things up. Throwing away 19 races is absurd:dual9mm:

They throw out over half the season?:confused: That's more like rookie of a half year. Leave it to NASCAR to "dumb" things up. Throwing away 19 races is absurd:dual9mm:
That was a little artistic license but they only count, I believe, their best 17 races. That's how Ryan Newman beat JJ outta the Rookie of the year.

Through Bristol.....

#3-Austin Dillon, 44 points
#42-Kyle Larson, 38
#51-Justin Allgaier, 34
#7-Michael Annett, 30
#26-Cole Whitt, 28
#23-Alex Bowman, 27
#30-Parker Kligerman, 21
#83-Ryan Truex, 18

Larson gained 2 points on Dillon this past week @ Bristol to cut Dillon's lead to 6.

Keep it close to keep it interesting.

Dillon and Larson separating themselves from the rest of the pack already.

Funny you mention it, I was just thinking how those bk racing cars have gone backwards with Truex and Bowman.. they are both way better than the car is performing. I feel like it's gotta be the car. I know they're rookies but come on.

Also, dare I say I'm 'impressed' with Michael Annette and the 7 team.

Funny you mention it, I was just thinking how those bk racing cars have gone backwards with Truex and Bowman.. they are both way better than the car is performing. I feel like it's gotta be the car. I know they're rookies but come on.

Also, dare I say I'm 'impressed' with Michael Annette and the 7 team.

Annett ran a good race at californis

Auto-correct made me realize that Michael Annett has two first names.

Interesting how the Rookie Standings are so far away from the point standings. Dillon in 8th in the standings and Larson in 16th.

Point standings are no indication of talent
I never mentioned about the points standings being an indication of talent. I'm simply saying that I am surprised the the two points systems represent the opposite of each other. Dillon has the advantage on one system and Larson on the other. I'd think that they would at the very least be similar.

Kind of biased towards Dillion and Larson.

Guys have already mentioned the difference in equipment, but watching Annett, Klingerman, and Whitt. Those three have improved a bit, I honestly expected Dillion to perform a bit better. Larson has a lot of upside to him and last week proved it.

I'm going to watch this Swan Racing and BK Racing battles closely though with the rookies. A lot of potential in this new class.

After Martinsville

#42-Kyle Larson, 67
#3-Austin Dillon, 65
#51-Justin Allgaier, 50
#26-Cole Whitt, 45
#7-Michael Annett, 44
#23-Alex Bowman, 39
#83-Ryan Truex, 30
#30-Parker Kligerman, 29

After Martinsville Rookies NASCAR Point Standings

#42-Kyle Larson, 19th
#3-Austin Dillon, 9th
#51-Justin Allgaier, 27th
#26-Cole Whitt, 32nd
#7-Michael Annett, 31st
#23-Alex Bowman, 35th
#83-Ryan Truex, 37th
#30-Parker Kligerman, 39th

Probably has Dillion's name engraved on the trophy already. NA$CAR has to make sure grand daddy is happy.

Probably has Dillion's name engraved on the trophy already. NA$CAR has to make sure grand daddy is happy.

Really? I'll assume you're joking. Larson is a checkers or wreckers type rookie who often burns his stuff up. Dillon is much less aggressive, so he probably has fewer bad finishes.

Really? I'll assume you're joking. Larson is a checkers or wreckers type rookie who often burns his stuff up. Dillon is much less aggressive, so he probably has fewer bad finishes.

Larson wrecked once this year at Daytona and Dillon caused that wreck. Beyond that he's been running at the end of every race.
And he hasn't burned his stuff up in any race this year. His bad finishes have been mostly due to pit road penalties more than anything.

Rookie points should come down to who had the most top 5 top 10 finishes and how many times were they in contention to win. So far, only Larson has had a chance to win @ Fontana.

That'll motivate them.

Larson wrecked once this year ay Daytona and Dillon caused that wreck. Beyond that he's been running at the end of every race.
And he hasn't burned his stuff up in any race this year. His bad finishes have been mostly due to pit road penalties more than anything.

If larson can win a race ROY is over

oughta be good roy battle. long way ta go tho.
gotta admit....dillon's doin better than i ever thought .....so far.

Larson wrecked once this year at Daytona and Dillon caused that wreck. Beyond that he's been running at the end of every race.

Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom