2015 Atlanta - QuikTrip Folds of Honor 500 - Pre Race Thread

Atlanta isn't exactly a hotbed for racing fans.

Plus the weather is terrible.

I'm not surprised there's a low turn out.

An early march/late feb date for Atlanta was not the smartest move. Mother nature is ridiculous in that area this time of year.

Yeah this sucks. NASCAR is clearly trying to kill off Atlanta Motor Speedway. Seem like standard operating procedure to knock a track off the schedule. Move it to an awful date to kill attendance entirely. Then we they take away a date, they can hide behind "lack of attendance". The elephant in the room of course being that attendance across the board isn't great.

First time I'd see the 'Joey on Letterman' bit. I really enjoy it when these guys are on Letterman or when they were on Leno, because the hosts know about motorsports. Drivers will get more intelligent questions from Dave or Jay than about 80% of the ESPN talent.

doh2.gif

Bob Pockrass‏@bobpockrass 40s40 seconds ago
I was confused as far as where they were holding cars before pushing to pit road. About 15 cars still to go back thru laser platform

Atlanta 1992. Such an eventful race.

Jeff Gordons debut.
Richard Pettys finale.
Jr Johnsons last glorious season winding down.
Davey Allisons ill fated destiny profoundly demonstrated.
Alan Kulwicki and his underbird doing the impossible.

2015 Jeff, races at Atlanta for the last time.

Reactions: Pat
Still looking cold and wet at the track

Dustin Long‏@dustinlong 8m8 minutes ago
#NASCAR ... Jeff Gordon heading back to garage after his turn during driver intros.

Gordon.jpg

inspection turning into a nail biter?

Bob Pockrass‏@bobpockrass 4m4 minutes ago
Looks like 10 or so cars left to go through again. Gordon car among those that just had more work done and back in line.

good thing it's delayed start time
Bob Pockrass‏@bobpockrass 1m1 minute ago
47 24 16 23 98 4 still going thru. No one seems too worried.

Yes, the drizzle should come to a stop soon. Don't foresee any further disruptions once they get started.

Penalties for violating this rule about two crew members with the car post-race.. Fines, one would assume? Anything else?

good thing it's delayed start time
Bob Pockrass‏@bobpockrass 1m1 minute ago
47 24 16 23 98 4 still going thru. No one seems too worried.

I'm picturing Pockrass flipping the **** out asking all the teams the same question over and over again. Haha

Reactions: Pat
Atlanta November 1978 Richard Petty entered the event on one of his longest winning slumps ever.

Just 9 races prior Petty parked his Dodge. Pettys greatest years were with Plymouth and Dodge.
6 of his 7 titles was with Mopar. It was a huge change.

Petty Enterprises punted when they went to Michigan in August 1978. Showing up in a Chevy Monte Carlo purchased a few days earlier from Cecil Gordon.
I was happy for the change. But it seemed strange. As a Petty fan I loved the idea that they built their own stuff. A self contained racing family. Racing with a purchased car was also abnormal.

But at the Atlanta November 1978 race it looked like Petty had won. Thank God the long winless nightmare was over with. Petty had the win and life seemed right again.

But I remember almost immediately afterwards Donnie Allison claimed he had won. It sounded so wrong on the MRN radio. But he was right and a review of the manual scoring system awarded the race to him.

Thankfully Petty got the win two races later, in the famous 1979 CBS broadcasted Daytona 500.

Atlanta 1992. Such an eventful race.

Jeff Gordons debut.
Richard Pettys finale.
Jr Johnsons last glorious season winding down.
Davey Allisons ill fated destiny profoundly demonstrated.
Alan Kulwicki and his underbird doing the impossible.

2015 Jeff, races at Atlanta for the last time.

When Atlanta had it's own character, then Smith destroyed that track and made it into another 1.5 cookie. :angry::mad::(

Back
Top Bottom