2016 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

To add some perspective this race had 6.4 million viewers in 2003 and just under 7 million viewers in 2002.

That's the stunning part. Don't you know, that was back in the dark old days when fans had already forgotten about NASCAR this late in the season because the Chase hadn't been invented to bring excitement to the championship race and help compete against the NFL. It was such a struggle back then.

That's the stunning part. Don't you know, that was back in the dark old days when fans had already forgotten about NASCAR this late in the season because the Chase hadn't been invented to bring excitement to the championship race and help compete against the NFL. It was such a struggle back then.

I was thinking the same thing as some folks complain about things being boring and predictable back then but a bunch more people watched and participated in Nascar back then.

Not well. Last year's Homestead Bowl was up considerably from 2014, with a Jeff Gordon competing for the championship in his final race storyline. There will be no such mainstream pull this year. Given where the general level of exposure and interest is at, there is nowhere to go but down. The above will be used to explain the decline, and it's partially true.
The story this year is will 6 time join Petty and Earnhardt as 7 time champions.
That should draw an extra 1/2 million.

The story this year is will 6 time join Petty and Earnhardt as 7 time champions.
That should draw an extra 1/2 million.

We shall see, but I doubt it. As much as Jimmie Johnson should be recognized as an actual modern day legend, he doesn't draw that kind of attention.

NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Martinsville, the seventh of ten Chase For the Cup races, had a 1.6 final rating and 2.7 million viewers on NBCSN Sunday afternoon - down 20% in ratings and viewership from last year (2.0, 3.4M) and down 36% and 35%, respectively, from 2014 on ESPN (2.5, 4.1M). Jimmie Johnson's win ranks as the lowest rated and least-watched fall Martinsville race since at least 2000, falling below the previous marks set last year. The past ten Sprint Cup races, and 11 of the past 12, have hit multi-year lows in ratings and viewership.

jayski

The ratings at my house were as per usual.

You and me both and I have enjoyed the last 2 races and I normally like Phoenix too. I particularly like races that are under pressure for weather as Nascar doesn't lollygag around and is all business in getting as much as the race in as possible.

The reason the NFL and NASCAR are getting dinged is because of their length and their obsession with the casual fan.

People just don't want to sit through a commercial fest for 3:30-4 hours when you have Netflix and HBO Go that have none of that. Really is there any surprise that soccer and basketball, two of the fastest timed sports there are, are growing the quickest?

IMO you have to get these races back on main TV, how come golf always is on CBS or NBC but the race is on NBCSN or FS1

The reason the NFL and NASCAR are getting dinged is because of their length and their obsession with the casual fan.

People just don't want to sit through a commercial fest for 3:30-4 hours when you have Netflix and HBO Go that have none of that. Really is there any surprise that soccer and basketball, two of the fastest timed sports there are, are growing the quickest?

IMO you have to get these races back on main TV, how come golf always is on CBS or NBC but the race is on NBCSN or FS1

Agree, I think we need to get the races in under 3 hours and the commercials need to be toned down a lot. You want to show your product to the NASCAR crowd, sponsor something at the track. I know the networks need money too but commercials every 5 minutes is killing both NFL and NASCAR.

The ratings are out and they are bad. No point in posting the actual numbers, but lets just say that it's millions of people less than 2 years ago. Last year was a rain delay.

Agreed, personally I always dvr the races and I'm generally almost always behind, for example I just finished Sundays race today, I had no idea who won. I don't watch sportscenter or any news and simply just don't follow any nascar social media. I'm in NYC and have 0 friends who are interested in racing so I don't have to worry about them spoiling it talking to me or through their social media.

Dvrs are amazing and the only way to watch racing, I can finish a 4 hour race in 90 minutes sometimes depending on how many commercials and cautions there are. It's the reason why I pop into this board here and there cause I'm generally never up to date lol

I'll be watching live Sunday simply because I have nothing else to do.

If you've been keeping an eye on NASCAR's declining TV viewership, this week's numbers will come as a bit of a mixed bag.

Sunday's Sprint Cup race at Phoenix – the last in the Round of 8 – avoided a rain delay and drew a 2.41 overnight, drawing an average of just over four million viewers on NBC to make it the most watched Chase race of the year. Last year's race saw a massive rain delay that forced a move from NBC to NBCSN, with a 1.36/2.24 million

However, Sports Media Watch reports that the 2.1 overnight rating was down 25 percent from 2014 on ESPN, when the race ran at its scheduled time.

Saturday's Xfinity Series broadcast drew a 0.63, averaging 1.05 million viewers on NBCSN. That's a drop from last year's 0.74/1.23 million on the same network.

F1's Brazilan Grand Prix on NBCSN drew a 0.31 rating, averaging 505,000 viewers, a tick up from the previous year's 0.29/ 493,000.

The NHRA live season finale at Pomona scored a 0.16 on FS1 with an average of 244,000 viewers. In 2015, an average of 236,000 tuned in for a 0.15 rating on ESPN2.

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/136455-tv-ratings-phoenix-brazil

Dropping from 5 million viewers to 4 million in 2 years is good compared to some races. Nothing to worry about though as even if everyone stops watching from home and people quit attending events it is all good.

I think having around 5.75 million viewers is a major victory for Nascar as that is an increase of around a half million people over 2014. Nascar's YOY ratings are usually in red numbers or parenthesis so anytime an increase is recorded it is a good day. Looks like the finale was the 7th most watched race of the year.

I think having around 5.75 million viewers is a major victory for Nascar as that is an increase of around a half million people over 2014. Nascar's YOY ratings are usually in red numbers or parenthesis so anytime an increase is recorded it is a good day. Looks like the finale was the 7th most watched race of the year.

That's a great number considering the ratings for the other Chase races. Probably the second highest rated finale of the decade.

NBC Sports PR @NBCSportsPR
19s
NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship Race Peaks at More Than 8.4 Million Viewers and 4.8 HH Rating

That Football Night in America audience helped again. ;)

LOL, this is quite a run of luck they have developed to make their big finale look popular. It's funny how the ratings kept 'peaking' more and more for a football pregame show once the race was off.

Ratings for Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup finale broadcast on NBC saw a 25% dip over a year ago despite the dramatic race won by Jimmie Johnson on the final lap. The race drew a 3.32 overnight rating, NBC announced Monday. Last year's broadcast --- which was aided by the fact the race was delayed 90 minutes and took up nearly the entire first hour of Football Night in America --- earned a 4.41 rating. NASCAR ratings tend to edge higher when the final national numbers are released.(USA Today), see race-by-race TV Ratings for 2016 and a comparison chart on the 2016 TV Ratings page.(11-22-2016)

New Chase a ratings bonanza for Xfinity, Truck: http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/201...-truck-viewership-lpga-tour-championship-abc/

• The NASCAR Xfinity Series finale from Homestead earned a 0.8 final rating and 1.4 million viewers on NBCSN Saturday afternoon, down a third in ratings and 26% in viewership from last year on the NBC broadcast network (1.2, 1.8M) and down a tick (0.9 to 0.8) and 5% (1.43M to 1.35M) respectively from 2014 on ESPN. In other action from Homestead, the Truck Series finale had 581,000 viewers on Fox Sports 1 the night before, down 10% from last year (647K) but up 16% from ’14 (507K).

NASCAR ended its season with another double-digit decline, but the numbers were not nearly as bleak as in the preceding weeks. The NASCAR Chase For the Cup finale from Homestead (FL) drew a 3.5 rating and 6.1 million viewers on NBC and NBCSN Sunday afternoon, per Nielsen fast-nationals. Jimmie Johnson's title-clinching win trails only last year as the highest rated and most-watched Homestead race since 2011 (4.0, 6.8M) and ranks behind those aforementioned races as the third-most watched Chase For the Cup telecast since 2009. For the season, it was the top Sprint Cup race since Talladega on FOX in May (4.0, 6.7M).

from jayski

Back
Top Bottom