2018 - Daytona 500 - Pre Race Thread

The races still set the field, which has always been their main purpose. The guys racing to get in never appealed to me anyways as they're not a threat come Sunday.

They do make me a little uneasy as a fan from a wear and tear on the car standpoint though. Watching Chase run pole winning cars the last 2 years had me watching with one eye opened as wrecking a car you spent all offseason on before the big show is a nightmare scenario.

Given how bad the Toyotas were at plates, and how most assume Chevy followed Toyota's design theme, does it make sense to pick a Ford to win?

There were guaranteed starts for decades, just based on top 35 owner points instead of 36 owner charters. What's changed is the limited number of entrants.
I was referring back to the days of the provisional era in NASCAR. Pre-2005. Before the top-35 rule went into effect virtually assuring everyone a starting position. And yes, limited number of entries is another issue making these races meaningless, more or less.

Given how bad the Toyotas were at plates, and how most assume Chevy followed Toyota's design theme, does it make sense to pick a Ford to win?
It would be hard to bet against them despite not knowing how the Chevy will run - is it 8 out of 9 now that Ford have won on plate tracks? Far and away their best type of track right now.

If we can get 45 or so entered then I'll be excited to see the Duels again for the first time in a while. It's a big deal for those teams to even make the race. Putting up 10 points or whatever it was last year didn't do it for me.

It would be hard to bet against them despite not knowing how the Chevy will run - is it 8 out of 9 now that Ford have won on plate tracks? Far and away their best type of track right now.

I agree. I get the doom and gloom from the Ford camp, but there might be something there in terms of aero on plate tracks. Winning the biggest race of the year isn't all that bad. With all of the BS about Toyota dominance last year, it is important to remember that they didn't even start in the top 12 at the July Daytona race. It will be interesting.

I was referring back to the days of the provisional era in NASCAR. Pre-2005. Before the top-35 rule went into effect virtually assuring everyone a starting position. And yes, limited number of entries is another issue making these races meaningless, more or less.

I watch for the entertainment.

When I am watching the duels I don't sit there and think "Oh man this was better in 2004! Muh nostalgia!" It's not that serious. It's always been a bonus exhibition race to me.

Early pole candidates
Bubba Wallace
Alex Bowman
William Byron
Danica
I am gonna go with Bubba, but I can see Danica on pole being better for week long spot light NASCAR has.

Looking back at 2017, the plate races were won by a Ford, Ford, Ford and a Ford. Three different drivers from two different teams. So I'm guessing heading into Daytona the Fords have a fighting chance. Chevy has an unknown car, but I'm sure they won't be caught with their pants down. I'm not sure where the Toyotas will be, they will be in the thick of things though. The Fords may prove to be tough. Not as tough as 1965 numbers where they finished 1-14 or so with Fred Lorenzen leading the way in his Holman-Moody ride. But tough none the less.

Is the clash a points paying event this year?
The Clash will likely never be a points-paying race, since only a limited number of teams are eligible to participate. I'm delighted they decided last year to return to the 'Pole winners only' format. They went through some goofy selection crapola for a few years.

The Clash will likely never be a points-paying race, since only a limited number of teams are eligible to participate. I'm delighted they decided last year to return to the 'Pole winners only' format. They went through some goofy selection crapola for a few years.
The top 7 from each manufacturer format a few years ago was horrible

Tin Foil Hat time

I think a few of those formats were done to get certain drivers in( I will let you name them).

Editors note
Me saying that does not indicate that I 100% believe it, or 100% do not believe it.

The Clash should be open entry imo. If you got an extra race car you're willing to tear up - come join us! Why not?

Then how would it differ from any other race?
It already doesn't differ from every other race. It's an exhibition race for money featuring the top drivers in the sport that qualified by virtue of past performance (all-star race?). Save the qualifications for that race. Since this one kicks off the season in a sense, I just think everyone should be invited. And I don't think you'd see a full field, probably around 30 or so.

“I am so appreciative of everyone at StarCom Racing and VRX for having confidence in me and making this a reality,” said Earnhardt. “There’s been an Earnhardt driving in the 500 for 39 years so to be able to keep that streak going for a 40th year means a lot to me and I’m sure a lot of Earnhardt fans are going to be happy to hear this news.”

Jeffrey will have to do a whole lot better than he has to get my attention, but I'm happy for him.

Back
Top Bottom