# 31 ----winless champ ---even closer now !

hawg dawg

Team Owner
2 drivers gonna make homestead final 4 on points now.
maybe all 4 ...if like today..... w/ non chase winner at texas / phoenix.

#31 looks good so far.
top 10 finish in next 2 races might do it ?

that oughta make you points guys happy huh ?

2 drivers gonna make homestead final 4 on points now.
maybe all 4 ...if like today..... w/ non chase winner at texas / phoenix.

#31 looks good so far.
top 10 finish in next 2 races might do it ?

that oughta make you points guys happy huh ?
it would make this Newman fan happy

would it be better if Kenseth wins without a win, or Denny winning without starting every race

Last edited:
I mentioned a thousand times this is very likely to happen. The best thing NASCAR can do is scrap the chase. Especially the current crappy format.

Although, Newman could pull off a win at any of the tracks. He's capable.

Not to take anything away from Newman but guy has been lucking into those top 10s. He gets kudos for avoiding most wrecks though.

He is Brian's worst enemy right now. He is doing exactly the oposite of what he intended the chase to be. All about wins and instead he's getting someone sneaking in under the radar.

Last edited:
Not to take anything away from Newman but guy has been lucking into those top 10s. He gets kudos for avoding most wrecks though.

He is Brian's worst enemy right now. He is doing exactly the oposite of what he intended the chase to be. All about wins and instead he's getting someone sneaking in under the radar.
RCR equipment is not that good. Newman is a wheelman. He's the only RCR car finishing in the top 10 regularly.

Newman and Kenseth both. Kenseth is an old hand at points racing. I made the point weeks ago that Newman was driving differently. Instead of defending every inch of his space and wrecking anyone who tried to get in front of him, he was backing off and taking what the car would give him. It's working. He was in the top ten almost all day long except when they weren't all on the same pit schedule. He mentioned in the pre race that at the most three chasers could advance by winning the next three races so at least one would get in on points. now it looks even better. At least two will make it on points to the final race.

I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape over this kind of stuff.

I do think it is funny though that now all I can think of is what kind of points racing my driver can do to move on. Hoping for two more top 10s for Gordon and he should be able to sneak through.

RCR did win a Nationwide championship without winning a race

Im gona laugh so hard at all you guys when a winless driver makes it to the final round and wins Homestead and ruins ur little anti chase fairy tale lol

One win is hardly anything to boast about.
Yeah maybe not... but one win and a championship after a winless season.... now THAT'S a fairy tale lol

I know you dont speak for everyone... but people keep saying they want a system that rewards wins and consistency.... How many wins? How consistent? How many top 5's? top 10's? do they need before they gain your approval? Do they have to have poles too? What about laps led? Does that come into the equation too? Might as well throw in fast laps, average running position and fastest pit stops into the mix too..... and don't forget that fan vote :rolleyes:

What exactly is the perfect mix of these that would make you people happy?

i get that nobody should win the championship without having a win and like FLRacingFan said just 1 win is nothing to boast about, but Ryan is following the rules and doing what he's paid to do and besides it's still better than Jimmie winning.

QMrG0dP.jpg

i get that nobody should win the championship without having a win and like FLRacingFan said just 1 win is nothing to boast about, but Ryan is following the rules and doing what he's paid to do and besides it's still better than Jimmie winning.

QMrG0dP.jpg
Wait til the old points would have had Jr win the cup... there'll be a riot.

Although I am pretty sure under that system it's all Jeff and Joey.. with a side of Brad lol

Yeah maybe not... but one win and a championship after a winless season.... now THAT'S a fairy tale lol

I know you dont speak for everyone... but people keep saying they want a system that rewards wins and consistency.... How many wins? How consistent? How many top 5's? top 10's? do they need before they gain your approval? Do they have to have poles too? What about laps led? Does that come into the equation too? Might as well throw in fast laps, average running position and fastest pit stops into the mix too..... and don't forget that fan vote :rolleyes:

It starts with getting rid of 43-to-1.

All this and you get knocked out with 1 sentence by FL. LOL

where's Mr. Gregory. Newman needs some love
Right here, buddy! :)

I've been saying it all season long, man. Newman has quietly run way better in that 31 than I ever thought he would. This is the same car Jeff Burton was driving and doing absolutely nothing in. The move to RCR was definitely a good one for him.

I'm still not super concerned with the Chase, but I have to admit that I sure would love to see Junior win the next three races and Newman win the Homestead Bowl without a win. I'm all about consistency, so I would have absolutely nothing against a winless champion. In fact, I actually feel like that would be a pretty impressive feat, to win a title without winning a race.

So, go Newman! If not him, I'd be for Kenseth or Hamlin winning it. Kenseth for the same reason as Newman, the winless champion angle, plus he's always been Mr. Consistency, and Hamlin because it would send his already extremely inflated ego through the roof, and I'm sure I would find the result extremely entertaining.

Lol what?

That 43-1 thing? Irrelevant.

While were at why don't we try to reinstate prohibition to prevent drunk driving? :lol2:

I was kidding Slice.

But everyone agrees that this point system is lulz.

It doesn't reward finishing up front as much.

I believe FL posted the percentage of a guy running in the half dozen benefiting more than a guy who actually finished in the top 10.

I like the way they reward points, I hate the chase but deal with it because it's the rules. If Jr would have won with the old system I wouldn't bitch because no telling if they would have ran the same. But if Harvick fails to make the final 4 I'd not mind a winless driver winning. At least we would know we'll get a new system soon.

Was it the 1992 championship that came down to elliott, kulwicki & allison at atlanta with no manufactured drama?

People complain about how drivers would have won the championship with races still remaining on the schedule but how often did that happen?

I'm very afraid of this .
It'll probably involve something where you have to win a race to make the chase. If fewer than 16 winners, there will probably just be fewer eliminations in the first round. Not much drama in that round anyway, everybody pretty much knows who's going to be eliminated.

I floated an idea on here a couple of months ago that would guarantee there would never be a winless champion, but it didn't seem too popular. Basically, it scraps the Chase and takes the top-4 in points after Phoenix and puts them in the Homestead Bowl with 2,000 points + 3 points per win, provided they've won at least one race during the season. Otherwise the 5th place guy would go in their place provided they'd won. Admittedly it's less drama, but would be more fair, eliminate the possibility of a winless champion, and still guarantee the Game 7 atmosphere at Homestead.

I wonder how many fans are truly fans of the chase? I can't think of a single diehard fan that likes it.

Reactions: sdj
I wonder how many fans are truly fans of the chase? I can't think of a single diehard fan that likes it.
Slicedbread loves it
Dpkim is a fan
Andy is a fan

Sliced is a baby fan. The chase is all he knows.
Dpkim is brainwashed.
Andy is a fan of martinsville.
:p

I've always thought NASCAR was shooting it's own foot by not giving top finishers a bump in points.

CART used to be:

1st- 20
2nd- 16
3rd- 12
4th-9
5th- 8
6th- 7
7th- 6
8th- 5
9th- 4
10th- 3
11th- 2
12th- 1

That was, by far, my favorite point system. But I also love this Chase, I'm intrigued every week.

Slicedbread loves it
Dpkim is a fan
Andy is a fan

Sliced is a baby fan. The chase is all he knows.
Dpkim is brainwashed.
Andy is a fan of martinsville.
:p
:rolleyes:

Man.. how old were u when the chase came around? Like 9? 10 years old? Chances are the only reason u hate it because ur Dad does lol... do u even remember watching NASCAR before then? U were a child. You can say whatever u want but you know as well as I do that you've spend the majority of your time as a fan hating the product but likely still watching every single race... it must be tiring.. I mean you've spent nearly half your life hating something you love because of something you have no control over.

Another reason I'd like to see Newman win the championship is that it would be kind of funny if Harvick was at RCR all those years and couldn't get it done, then Newman comes in and wins the championship his first year there.

Back
Top Bottom