A pretty feel-good story....

97forever

Team Owner
Today,it seems to me,we have a lot of 'image' guys in Nascar.Most of you folks know what I mean....young,handsome,some with college degrees,some with connections.And yeah,some with big ears maybe.Nothing really wrong with that,just a little departure from the historical aspect of this sport.

Then we have the old timers...the old hard-boiled,gritty types.Hemingway on wheels even.The old school guys who just barely hang with Kurt and Ryan and Jimmie and Kevin.

And then we have Greg Biffle.

This is a pretty cool story with old Greg.A local racer out west who gets 'discovered' at a slightly older age than a lot of those guys I just mentioned.Benny Parsons notices though and pleads with Jack Roush presumably for quite some time to give the guy a look.Jack,according to accounts,isn't really interested at first.Why should he be?Tommy Kendall and Randy Goss are waiting in the wings,anyway,right?

Well,half right.Goss is ready to move to a struggling CTS team...Tommy isn't so sure and demands just a 'little more than is reasonable'.mmmm?Now what?Benny must have called again.Jack hires Greg for the team sight unseen---soley on Benny's word.

To say Greg delivered is an understatement.ROTY,a true SCR***** over by NASCAR,and a Title awaited him in the truck series.Maybe time to move up to BGN then.Again,Greg delivered in style.Another ROTY award followed by another Title.Up to WC then...finally the dues were paid.

And Greg struggled.And faltered.Fell out battling with Tony Stewart on the RC and almost hit bottom.

Then went to Daytona.And from that local track in Arizona to victory lane at the most famous track in stock car racing!

All in all pretty good for a driver that fits somewhere between Newman and Wallace,Busch and Martin.A little new-wave,a little old-school.At 33 Greg is square in the middle.

But he is not the kind of driver it pays to under-estimate.If any driver can compete with either the young guys or the old guys.....Greg might just be the one.At least in my opinion. :)

Opinions?Agree,disagree?

I'm not terribly impressed with someone winning at Daytona, as it is shown to be about 90% quality of the car and about 8% luck with fuel mileage, etc. I was however, quite impressed with his demeanor in Victory Lane. He really showed a lot of humility and respect in a time when he could have really been very arrogant and very "I told you so". Kudo's to what seems like a really good guy who finally got a break and took advantage of it.

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Jul 7 2003, 07:54 PM
I'm not terribly impressed with someone winning at Daytona.
Really? Not impressed with any of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s all time record of wins there? Probably which will never be broken?

I wasnt too impressed, but I mean If you can win a race on fuel milage, then hands to whoever it is. I know how It feels to have one of your favorite drivers win, and get a monkey off of their back for a while. :)

Originally posted by ward22@Jul 7 2003, 09:00 PM
I wasnt too impressed, but I mean If you can win a race on fuel milage, then hands to whoever it is. I know how It feels to have one of your favorite drivers win, and get a monkey off of their back for a while. :)
I know what you mean...I wasn't impressed with any of Ward's wins last year. Daytona 500, well it was only Daytona. New Hampshire, he would have never won if Matt didn't run over debris & cut a tire with 8 laps to go.

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Jul 7 2003, 09:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Jul 7 2003, 09:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--ward22@Jul 7 2003, 09:00 PM
I wasnt too impressed, but I mean If you can win a race on fuel milage, then hands to whoever it is.&nbsp; I know how It feels to have one of your favorite drivers win, and get a monkey off of their back for a while. :)
I know what you mean...I wasn't impressed with any of Ward's wins last year. Daytona 500, well it was only Daytona. New Hampshire, he would have never won if Matt didn't run over debris & cut a tire with 8 laps to go. [/b][/quote]
I was impressed, I was really impressed with the way he raced at Richmond last year!! Leading the most laps, and then with not many left to go, he blows a motor. :( Same ol' Ward luck... :(

Glad you were, I was more impressed with Matt coming from two laps down at the Sept. Richmond race to win it!

Originally posted by 17_Fan@Jul 7 2003, 09:11 PM
Glad you were, I was more impressed with Matt coming from two laps down at the Sept. Richmond race to win it!
Ah dont rub It in my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :p

Originally posted by ward22+Jul 7 2003, 09:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ward22 @ Jul 7 2003, 09:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--17_Fan@Jul 7 2003, 09:11 PM
Ah dont rub It in my face!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :p [/b][/quote]
hehehe

Back
Top Bottom