Alan Kulwicki for the HoF?

To be honest I think that it would be early to consider him. There are still many out there that were a factor in the growth of Nascar. Alan could have been a HOF, but died to early.

I think he deserves to be in, one of Nascars best stories ever. The underbird was real life inspirational material, Hollywood could not write a better scipt.

He gritted it out in a plain unlettered car for some races, and did what most would call impossible.
On the day of Pettys last race, and Gordons debut Kulwicki stole the show or moment.
And the people that remember got to see a once in a lifetime moment, one that has no equal.

Posted by a long time Chevy fan that knew how to hate the Fords 1992.
I have never met a person that didn't respect Kulwicki.

I think he deserves to be in, one of Nascars best stories ever. The underbird was real life inspirational material, Hollywood could not write a better scipt.

He gritted it out in a plain unlettered car for some races, and did what most would call impossible.
On the day of Pettys last race, and Gordons debut Kulwicki stole the show or moment.
And the people that remember got to see a once in a lifetime moment, one that has no equal.

Posted by a long time Chevy fan that knew how to hate the Fords 1992.
I have never met a person that didn't respect Kulwicki.
Aside from the '79 Daytona 500, I think the 1992 Hooters 500 was the most significant race in NASCAR history.

Aside from the '79 Daytona 500, I think the 1992 Hooters 500 was the most significant race in NASCAR history.
I'd put it ahead of the '79 D500. The D500 may be better known to the general public because of the TV coverage and the fight, but there was a lot more going on in Atlanta.

With that said, I think there are others ahead of Alan.

I'd put it ahead of the '79 D500. The D500 may be better known to the general public because of the TV coverage and the fight, but there was a lot more going on in Atlanta.

With that said, I think there are others ahead of Alan.
I'd probably put the '01 Daytona 500 a pretty close 3rd. Unfortunately that race is most known for Dale Earnhardt's death, but it was also Fox's first race, Dodge's first race after a long hiatus, and Michael Waltrip's first career win after many years of trying.

He represents the end of an era. I think he was the last owner/driver to build a team from scratch. There have been some successful drivers who started teams to keep their careers going but they had some advantages by being in the system. Alan was an outsider who built a team to start his career. I doubt what he did could be achieved today.

Who of the nominees is really ahead of him? I'd put Rudd, Childress, Hendrick, Kulwicki and Martin in this year. Byron won the first championship, but it was a season of less than 10 races. Baker was awesome, but Martin and Rudd arguably had better careers as non-title winners. I don't see anyone else who should replace Kulwicki here.

Nominees (from article):

Buddy Baker:
Winner of 19 Cup races, including Daytona 500.

Red Byron: First champion, 1949.

Richard Childress: 11-time car owner champion across three national series.

Ray Evernham: Three-time champion crew chief.

Ray Fox:Engine builder, crew chief and car owner.

Rick Hendrick:14-time car owner champion across three national series.

Ron Hornaday: Four-time Camping World Truck Series champion.

Harry Hyde: 1970 champion crew chief.

Alan Kulwicki: 1992 champion.

Mark Martin: 96-race winner in national series competition.

Hershel McGriff:1986 west series champion.

Raymond Parks: First champion car owner.

Benny Parsons: 1973 champion.

Larry Phillips: Only five-time NASCAR weekly series national champion.

Jack Roush: Five-time car owner champion in national series.

Ricky Rudd: Won 23 times in Cup Series.

Ken Squier: Radio and television broadcaster.

Mike Stefanik: Winner of record-tying nine championships in modifieds and Pro Series East.

Waddell Wilson: Won three titles as an engine builder.

Robert Yates: Won championship as both an engine builder and owne

He represents the end of an era. I think he was the last owner/driver to build a team from scratch. There have been some successful drivers who started teams to keep their careers going but they had some advantages by being in the system. Alan was an outsider who built a team to start his career. I doubt what he did could be achieved today.
I hate to say it, but I doubt even Alan himself could have kept it going too much longer. By the end of the 90s when 3 and 4 car teams were becoming the norm, I don't know if he could have kept up. Most of the guys who did go the owner/driver route flamed out by the end of that decade, not sure if Alan would have or not.

Speaking of limited number of wins (15) but lots of potential I think Tim Richmond needs to get the nod soon. After all NASCAR named Richmond one of its 50 greatest drivers of all time. Huge AK fan, sure hope he gets voted in.

Who of the nominees is really ahead of him? I'd put Rudd, Childress, Hendrick, Kulwicki and Martin in this year. Byron won the first championship, but it was a season of less than 10 races. Baker was awesome, but Martin and Rudd arguably had better careers as non-title winners. I don't see anyone else who should replace Kulwicki here.

Nominees (from article):

Buddy Baker:

Mike Stefanik: Winner of record-tying nine championships in modifieds and Pro Series East.

Folks should write in Ann B France and the France family pets too.

I think he is a little short. I think 40 wins or so is a good bar. The fords were strong in the 90s. His Polish laps will live on forever.
Should have more gifts at Hooters for him and Loy allen.

The self aggrandizing France system guarantees as much. There will be enough revisions to turn the maggot into a hero.

"He brought the sport into the 21st century when he signed Nextel to sponsor the former Winston Cup Series and created the revolutionary Chase for the Cup."

"He brought the sport into the 21st century when he signed Nextel to sponsor the former Winston Cup Series and created the revolutionary Chase for the Cup."

He inherited the golden goose that thrives in spite the runny diarrhea he has contributed.

LOL about France. Alan Kulwicki has a heart-warming story, but IMO should not be in the HOF. Maybe in the future, or maybe not, but not now IMO.

I'd probably put the '01 Daytona 500 a pretty close 3rd. Unfortunately that race is most known for Dale Earnhardt's death, but it was also Fox's first race, Dodge's first race after a long hiatus, and Michael Waltrip's first career win after many years of trying.
The long-term significance of the '01 D500 is measured in lives NOT lost as a result of the safety improvements Dale paid for.

Nominees (from article):

Buddy Baker:

I'd put BP ahead of Alan.

I'd put BP ahead of Alan.

Benny is probably the closest competitor, tbh. He has quite a few more wins, and has a great story to go along with his championship as well (didn't a bunch of competitors help him salvage a good finish at Rockingham to secure the title because of the good person he was? I could be remembering wrong). But I'd still give it to Alan and let Benny wait on the sidelines one more year, perhaps due more to the tragedy aspect.

With all due respect to Alan and Benny, both of their championships are products of the very flat Nascar points scale that severely under-rewarded race wins, IMO. Nascar has *never* had a points scale that adequately reflects the accomplishment of winning a Cup race. The points scale has *always* erred in the direction of keeping multiple drivers "in the game" until season's end, rather than being designed to crown the most deserving champion, IMO.

With all due respect to Alan and Benny, both of their championships are products of the very flat Nascar points scale that severely under-rewarded race wins, IMO. Nascar has *never* had a points scale that adequately reflects the accomplishment of winning a Cup race. The points scale has *always* erred in the direction of keeping multiple drivers "in the game" until season's end, rather than being designed to crown the most deserving champion, IMO.

I prefer that.

I'd rather have a Mark Martin win a championship than a Ricky Bobby.

All those guys on that list deserve to make it in the hall of fame. I consider what Alan did more impressive than six time Jimmy's titles. Let's face it we will never see a single car owner/racer do that again. NASCAR won't have it, it doesn't fit their needs. NASCAR is fixed to a point to make it what they want. They did it in the late 90's with Jeff Gordon and 2000's with six time Jimmy. I have nothing against the 48 or Jeff and both are amazing wheelmen. NASCAR wanted to get away from the ruff and tumble image they had to something more polished and refined. It's much easier to sell that to sponsors than the image of a bunch of rednecks wrecking each other. At the end of the day it's about the MONEY nothing more nothing less.

I hate to say it, but I doubt even Alan himself could have kept it going too much longer. By the end of the 90s when 3 and 4 car teams were becoming the norm, I don't know if he could have kept up. Most of the guys who did go the owner/driver route flamed out by the end of that decade, not sure if Alan would have or not.
I think you are right. He was offered to replace Terry Labonte at Junior Johnson's team (the Budweiser car) and he turned it down.

I don't think he gets voted in tomorrow, but he'll get in someday. A championship will for sure get you into the HOF, even with the current format.

:hello:

He did win a championship :)

122309-DE-bc-0007.jpg

Nope. ;)

This whole Mark Martin agenda is a bit unseemly, coming from one who - in another thread - claims to be a journalist and criticizes the journalistic standards of other writers. IMO. YMMV.

Reactions: sdj
Back
Top Bottom