An article on resurfacing Martinsville

Sounds like they are willing to do whatever it takes to do it right, that is good. :D

Wouldn't it be cool to have Martinsville under the lights? They should consider having lighting added while they're doing this renovation. Just a thought. :D

Anyone with more construction background feel free to correct me...

...but I believe concrete gets harder every year almost indefinitly. In other words, 10 year old concrete is harder than 1 year.

So it might behoove them to keep as much of the old concrete as possibe. But with the stuff they add nowaday's (fiberglass, polymeres etc...) it might be better to re-do the whole thing.

So basically the point of this post is to let everyone know I don't know squat about concrete.

That's true Splung.....concrete continues to cure for approximately 50 yrs. But the down side is that along with that getting "harder and harder" is that it also gets more brittle. Concrete is at it's best 20 to 35 yrs after pouring. The hardness of the concrete is not the problem.......it's the brittleness. It appears to me that the concrete at Martinsville is past it's prime.........it's breaking up due to being brittle. And their grinding on it recently didn't help it one bit......just vibrated the heck out of it and probably started tiny hairline fractures that are beginning to break up as the cars race on it. It won't get better........only worse.

And the repaving will probably help the track out for a while (maybe five years or so). They are "milling" (think gouging with a great big rototiller) 3 to 4 inches off the surface and then laying that 3 to 4 inches back on with new (and probably better) asphalt. Much what they do the highways we all drive on. They'd be better off to take it all off down to the road bed and even take a couple inches of that too and start completely over. They'll be doing this same thing again in 5 to 8 years. But it's their money. :)

Back
Top Bottom