Anyone here go to/been to 311 Speedway?

NC HillBilly

Back home where I belong
http://www.311motorspeedway.com/

I love this track, grew up going to races there every weekend. Even slept on the concrete bleachers three rows up when I was 3-5 years old because I'd always pass out before the main event. :( No wonder I'm a heavy sleeper! :D

I've gone a few times in the last decade or so but avoid it now because the prices for tickets and food have gotten a little high last time I checked. Plus last time I was there they didn't prep the track properly so you couldn't even see due to all the dust in the air. :(

Just wondering if anyone around here has been to the track before. If you're in the area and want to catch a race it's worth the admission depending on what cars are running that weekend. They have a lot of the larger dirt track series come through from time to time plus the locals always put on a good show. I'm probably going to try to go at least once before the end of the fall.

Well I looked at prices for tickets today and it seems like they're sane again! Can't speak for the food though. ;)

Looks like a lot of good racing going on there this year.

Sorry for the double post couldn't edit my last one. :)

It was closed for awhile yes, I think there was a change in ownership (or two). Honestly since I haven't been going much I'm not the best to answer those questions. :(

It has always been a great track though and it looks like they've fixed a lot of the problems I mentioned. I'm going to go at least once, maybe twice, this year after looking at the some of the races they have coming up. Last time I was there would have been great if it wasn't for the problems with the track that night. The 25 lap main event that night was a great race....too bad I only caught about half of it due to all the dust in my eyes. They never had an issue with dust like that every other time I've gone.

I used to attend about every week up until a couple of years ago. Got to where I couldn't handle the dust. Usually some great racing. Don't know much about the owner, they used to have a forum on Local Race Chat but it seemed he wanted to keep anyone from critquing his track so he had it removed. Now I think Face Book and their web site are the only place you can find out anything thats going on. The Carolina Clash usually put on a pretty good show there.

Well I went last Saturday to watch the local boys run and I probably won't be going back much. I plan on watching one of the bigger series when they come through but that'll be it for me and 311 I think.

I got to the track just as practice was ending and found my old seats (5 rows up on the concrete, like God intended). Had some youngins with me who'd never been to a race in their lives, so I spent a lot of time explaining things like "What does the black flag mean?"...to 16 year old males. Man this new generation doesn't know anything and if they were my kids I'd be ashamed :p

Anyway....track looked like it was in better shape than the last time I went so I was hopeful dust wouldn't be a problem. Don't even ask me what classes ran because I honestly couldn't tell you. I think it was two 4-banger classes and two modified stock classes running V8s. Sorry, haven't kept up with dirt since I was a kid and the cars have changed a little over the years. All in all they ran four races not including heat races.

Back to the track itself: Any good track needs two things in addition to good racing. Those things are good bathrooms and good food. The bathrooms are the one thing that improved since my last visit to them. The mens room has actual stalls now and someone is actually cleaning the place. I did my business and moved on to the food. The food was 50/50, its cheap and the fries are good but my hot dog frankly sucked. I think it had been sitting around under a heat lamp for at least an hour. If not for the chili masking the flavor I wouldn't have finished it. The kids got chicken and burgers and said they were good so maybe I just got a bad hot dog. Food is still half price after the main event starts.

The track itself was in so-so condition but by the third race the dust was flying everywhere and it did get pretty bad. I'm not one to complain about getting dirty but when I have to wear safety glasses just to see the track its getting a little extreme.

The first race wasn't that good, it was the stock 4 class (whatever you call that) and they only had four cars in the entire field. No passing...just guys turning laps. I appreciate letting that class run but they really need to get more cars together and have a proper race.

Second race was mostly like the first one with more cars, boring in other words. :p

Third race was the race of the night. It was late model stock class iirc and they had a decent field of about 10 cars. Lots of good racing and only a few yellows for the duration. Wish they would have run at least 10-20 more laps because I was really enjoying that one. The dust wasn't bad and they were turning good lap times. Reminded me of why I enjoyed the place so much as a kid.

Fourth and final race of the night was a disaster. I honestly don't understand exactly what went on but I'll try to explain the best I can:

By this point the dust was really bad as the cars were cutting 3/4 as tight as they could plowing up the mound of dust at the bottom of the corner and throwing it into the air. I don't understand why they left a huge mound of dust that close to the track but I don't tend to the place so what do I know. It got so bad that I couldn't even see the cars coming off turn four until they got back to the flag stand.

There was one car that dominated that entire race and was later found to be running light, but was not DQed. Rumor is he's the track owner's favorite or something. I can't get the full story on this because the guy keeps deleting comments about it from the tracks facebook page (more on that in a second).

There was another car that ran second about the whole race but something about it seemed off to me. He'd spin out or be running 3rd or 4th then there would be a caution and he'd line up 2nd. Every freaking caution he'd just line up in 2nd place no matter where he was on track. The crowd was booing him pretty loudly. At one point under caution he was lined up 4th and stopped on the track, talked to the flag man, then guess what he does...he goes out and lines up in 2nd for the restart.

At some point that car had an issue and went into the garage area. He was obviously pissed off and came running across the track to get through the gate. He walked through the crowd on his way to what I assume was either his car or the booth and the crowd let loose on him with a shower of boos and insults. It was nice to see that. :p

Back to the race itself: There were no fewer than 15 caution flags in that 40 lap race. There may have been more than that as I stopped counting at 10. They couldn't run longer than 2 laps without a yellow flag. No one could catch the lead car so all the racing was mid-pack. One car hit the wall really hard in turn 4 but no one could see it for about 2 minutes due to the dust. We were all up in the stands wondering why the hell the caution was out for a good while until the dust cleared.

One last thing to mention:

The owner of the track has taken his website offline and says they're doing everything via facebook now. The problem is there is no way to find out what's scheduled in the coming weeks, they do not list ticket prices until the day before a race, and most importantly they delete any comments they don't happen to like from the page very quickly. Just in the 15 minutes I spent on the page the other day I saw several comments deleted asking about what was up with the light car not begin DQed.

The track owner is listing that the track is for sale on his personal facebook page now (at the hefty sum of 1.2 million dollars). I hope that if someone buys it they will bring it back to its former glory. I don't think the current owner is willing to invest the money needed into the place to get it up to par every weekend.

Next time I go to a dirt track I'll be driving further for a better experience. I hate that the local track is in such bad shape as I have fond memories but I'm not going to pay to see the so called racing I watched last weekend.

It does seem that the present 311 owner has an attitude that not consistent with being a good owner. Though I know he invest a lot to keep this track open, I think you have to be able to take a little criticism without being an arse. I used to keep up with the track on LocalRaceChat.com but he had the tracks forum removed because he didn't like some of the post (as if his weren't even worse). Would love to see that track get back to it's glory days when the racing was great and the dust was more bearable.

I did just see this on Facebook:

311 Motor Speedway has called off all events for June 22, Details will be coming soon, New GM to be coming soon to 311, Lucas Oil is at Wythe, Racing also at Rolling Thunder and Friendship. Have a safe and blessed weekend.

Unfortunately 311 Speedway has suffered through at least fifteen years of mismanagement, under at least three different owners and I've lost count of how many "promoters". The current owner has managed to damage the track's reputation terribly, and he hasn't even been the worst one! But he has run off most of his (formerly) regular teams and their fans have gone with them. He has a bad attitude, blatantly plays favorites, and got himself banned from other racing forums. He used to have some very good staff members but he chased them off too, so that’s why you can’t see the races because of dust. He made a few improvements to the track, but overall the facility is going downhill again. He wants $1.2 million for it? About a year ago on another forum he said “never pay more than a half million for any racetrack”. It will probably take at least $2 million above whatever it sells for to bring it up to snuff and reverse its bad reputation.

Carolina Clash cancelled their Fall event at 311 due to his antics and it is questionable whether WoO will return. 311 was supposed to have a big final race last weekend (coinciding with the NASCAR race at Martinsville) that promised a visit by Ryan Newman, but I have no idea how that went since I couldn’t go (had to work) and they immediately took down the web page afterwards. I don’t do Facebook but that’s a waste of time anyway because all you can see on 311’s page is propaganda.

It’s sad since this track has a lot of potential. But with bad owners and promoters along with the sluggish economy it may be doomed. Heard him claim that he was going to turn it into a scrap yard, but he likes to make rash statements so who knows? He does like to shoot himself in the foot.

Last edited:
This is just an example of 311's awesome PR.

311badpr.jpg

And that's one of his nicer posts!

You should hear him in person. I tried to ask for a rules clarification and instead of explaining it to me he challenged me to a fight! Of course he had three buddies backing him up or else he wouldn't have been so brave. What I couldn't understand is that I didn't yell or even try to start an argument. It wasn't even on a race day. But no matter how calm and fair you try to talk to him he automatically gets aggressive. I'm not afraid of him but I go to the track to race, not fight, so I don't need his drama and I go elsewhere.

This dude sounds like the Kenny Powers of track ownership...

Sad that such a great race track is going downhill. Seen a lot of great racing there.

Racetrack owners should NEVER take the attitude that the racers owe them something. Race car drivers WILL find a place to race - even if it means driving three hours or more to a racetrack. When Old Dominion closed, drivers decided to drive three hours to South Boston or four hours to Southern National.

Back
Top Bottom