Article on Gordon v/s Gordon

R

RobbyG Fan

Skill won race, not cheating

June 23, 2003

By LOWELL COHN
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

SONOMA

You rarely see Jeff Gordon act like a spoiled baby. It's unusual for him to throw a hissy fit, and moan and whine so loudly you want to toss him a pacifier. But that's exactly what he needed after Sunday's Dodge/Save Mart 350 -- the biggest pacifier in the known world.

By now, you've probably heard what happened. Robby Gordon, who won the race, passed his teammate Kevin Harvick during a caution flag on Lap 71. Jeff Gordon, who came in second, was deeply offended by the move, even though Harvick and Robby Gordon are teammates, even though what happened between teammates is none of Jeff Gordon's business, even though the maneuver did not give Robby Gordon the lead.

How do we know Jeff was offended? Simple. He couldn't shut his mouth during the post-race press conference. He kept saying he wanted to change the subject from Robby Gordon and the infamous yellow-flag pass, but he kept returning to it. So get a load of what he said. He called what Robby did "a bunch of crap." He said it was "ridiculous." And that was merely the polite stuff.

He sarcastically said Robby drove better during yellows than greens, and he also said, "Robby became an animal as soon as that caution came out." At one point, he said what Robby did "doesn't surprise me." When someone asked why, Jeff replied, "I'll keep those comments to myself." He was obviously making a reference to Robby's character, which he doesn't seem to like.

Finally, Jeff came up with the clincher. "Really," he said, "that's what won (Robby) the race." In other words, according to Jeff, Robby is a cheater who wouldn't have won without bending the rules.

That's a pretty serious accusation. It's about the worst thing you can say about a NASCAR driver. So let's be clear about this. In a pre-race drivers' meeting, Robby asked if drivers could pass on yellow flags. Three times, officials told him yes, provided they had not yet passed the start-finish line.

"Jeff Gordon sat in the same drivers' meeting as I did," Robby said later. "They said under a waving yellow flag you can race back to the line. I can't help it that I understood exactly what the rules are and took advantage of it."

You also should understand no official penalized Robby or scolded him or told him to stand in the corner. As far as NASCAR is concerned, he won fair and square. But it's more than that. Robby led for 81 of 110 laps, so he hardly won by a fluke. The controversial act occurred with 39 laps to go. That gave Jeff enough opportunity to catch Robby and pass him and win the race and be a hero.

But Jeff couldn't pass him. For 18 laps he followed Robby, hung on Robby's rear bumper like an evil shadow. Robby didn't crack. He had the skill and the nerve to hold off Jeff's challenge -- the challenge of maybe the most opportunistic driver on the circuit. He won the race because of a great finish, not because of cheating.

After Jeff was done bellyaching, Robby came to the interview room. He was in a great mood -- heck, it was only his second NASCAR victory. But the subject quickly changed from victory to cheating, and then Robby got hot. When reporters told him what Jeff had said, he shot back, "Do you really think I care what Jeff Gordon says? I don't know why he's so sore. Let's not talk bull**** here. He's won so many races, I guess he doesn't like it when someone comes and rains on his parade."

In other words, Jeff is so spoiled, he expects to win. Thinks it's his divine right.

Then came the key moment. Someone reminded Robby of something Jeff had said, that if someone passed him on a yellow, "We'd have a little discussion somewhere." Robby's face reddened. "He's not big enough to have a discussion with me," Robby said.

It had something to do with kicking the other guy's butt. Who could be offended by the sentiment?

Contact Staff Columnist Lowell Cohn at 521-5486 or [email protected].

I couldnt agree any more with this writer. And this is the general sentiment among many Nascar writers at the moment about Jeff Gordon. This is the reason why personally I dont like Jeff Gordon.

Robby won fair and square, Jeff should have the class to just admit it. But then again, maybe Jeff is sore because currently head to head, Robby is up on Jeff 2 to 0.

Yea, I taped the race, and heard what Jeff -_- had to say. after listening to it I had to replay it because I thought I didn't hear him correctly, but I did. :dunce: :owquitit: Jeff just couldn't get close enough to "RUB" him. Altho i'm not a fan of Robby, he did run a good race.

Then came the key moment. Someone reminded Robby of something Jeff had said, that if someone passed him on a yellow, "We'd have a little discussion somewhere." Robby's face reddened. "He's not big enough to have a discussion with me," Robby said.

Classic!

I will tell the truth.I am sort of either- way -wishy washy about both Gordons.Of the two,I like Robby best.

But IMO Jeff has just lost it a little bit.Yesterday's post race comments weren't befitting a 4x champion like Jeff is.His comments were pointed and whiney.Just seemed unnessary and childish.It seems like Jeff has taken a personality turn for the worse lately.Robby,on the other hand seems like he has matured a lot.More seasoned and settled now.

Really,I was a little shocked by Jeff's comments.THAT kind of behavior won't let him catch Jr. in popularity.

Originally posted by 97forever@Jun 23 2003, 03:27 PM
THAT kind of behavior won't let him catch Jr. in popularity.
won't do it anyway, there are to many of us. :D

Originally posted by bowtie+Jun 23 2003, 03:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Jun 23 2003, 03:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--97forever@Jun 23 2003, 03:27 PM
THAT kind of behavior won't let him catch Jr. in popularity.
won't do it anyway, there are to many of us. :D [/b][/quote]
Yes, but half of the Jr. fans are actually Sr. fans.

If Robby ask if it was ok to pass under yellow and Nascar said it was. Then what is Jeff problem. I am a Harvick fan. I wish Kevin could have won but he didn't. But I'll take a third place finish any day over a 4th or 5th. :D

Those comments do seem very out of character for Jeff. I'm not sure why he said what he said either, but I certainly think he has earned the right to voice his opinion. Robby has been voiceing his opinion ever since he got in his first Cup car and up to this point hasn't done jack. Robby has always been classless and despite his obvious talent for driving a race car has not been able to do anything in a cup car. That is why Robby is one of the most disliked drivers in the sport. Jeff is disliked by a lot of folks too, but it is mostly because he has won too much to suit some people. I would rather be a 4 time champion who many disliked than be a classless punk who is disliked and still sucks. But that's just my opinion. ^_^

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Jun 23 2003, 10:04 PM
Jeff is disliked by a lot of folks too, but it is mostly because he has won too much to suit some people.
why do you jeffy worshippers always say AGBer's are jealous of gordon.
what am i jealous of?
his ugly & pudgy face :lol:

Originally posted by RobbyG Fan@Jun 23 2003, 10:20 AM
But then again, maybe Jeff is sore because currently head to head, Robby is up on Jeff 2 to 0.
Maybe if Robby was up front more the score might change :dual9mm:

j ozzman, I like your avatar, but the old one was better :p

Truth, Robby was the better "Gordon" at Infineon... 'nuff said.

There isn't anything anybody can do about it either.. Jeff got beat, Robby won. Thats it.. its in the books.. off to Daletona!!

I have herd alot of other drivers whine and at that whine alot more, but they dont get this type of atention. Also he does this one week, and people act like he has done it every race of the season.

Maybe Its just me, maybe people are getting a little more anoyed because jeff seems to be getting closer to that #1 spot in the points, but this whole thing seems to have been blown out of proportion to me.

I think that we have had enough of this subject. If you cannot refrain from name calling, then we will close the subject for good. And I do mean ALL of them.

Member No.: 608

******* 214 days smoke free! (05/23/03) 7 months! woohoo! *********

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep up the good work. It ain't easy. The dirty habit will never leave you alone. It follows you and becomes a life time job. I stopped in November of 1963 and still get an urge now and again. The battle is never ending so be prepared. It does get better and the cravings do get fewer and further apart. Hang in there. IT IS WORTH IT !!!!!!!!
:mellow:

Originally posted by Whizzer@Jun 24 2003, 08:47 AM
Member No.: 608

******* 214 days smoke free! (05/23/03) 7 months! woohoo! *********

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep up the good work. It ain't easy. The dirty habit will never leave you alone. It follows you and becomes a life time job. I stopped in November of 1963 and still get an urge now and again. The battle is never ending so be prepared. It does get better and the cravings do get fewer and further apart. Hang in there. IT IS WORTH IT !!!!!!!!
:mellow:
Thanks! Whizzer. It has not been the easiest thing that I have done in my life, but I will be honest and say it also hasn't been the hardest thing either. I do get the urges occasionally, but I was taught ways to curb them. I have even actually tried to smoke but can't get thru the first drag. YUCK!

Again, Thanks! It's always nice to hear encouragement from other folks! ;)

Back
Top Bottom