Attributes of a Great Driver

Wrangler1

Team Owner
Watched qualifying with a buddy that does not follow racing and I was telling him who some great drivers were. He asked me an interesting question - what makes them great?

Got me thinking about what attributes make up a great driver and who is the best in each category such as - drafting, car control, consistency, restarts, qualifying, aggression, etc.

Drafting - junior
Car control - Kyle Busch
Consistency - Harvick
Restarts - Logano
Qualifying - tough I can't put my finger on one guy
Aggression - Kyle Busch

Sorry if a similar thread exists but thought it would be interesting to hear thoughts on what makes a driver great.

My single thing is knowledge of what the car needs and the ability to communicate it .

Needs to drive a TRD powered Toyota Camry, and have an 18 on it. Done.

Racing is not as physical as ESPN sports science thought. Benny Parsons, Dale Sr, Brian Scott and Brad K all were out of shape and raced well. It really was about not overdriving the corners before the new aero. I am not sure what it takes now as my support for the series died at Dover with the balloon yellow

Best qualifier?

Newman between 02-05 was probably the greatest over one lap I have EVER seen. Him in that 12 was just... He was ridiculous.

The best as of right now is probably Edwards.

Watched qualifying with a buddy that does not follow racing and I was telling him who some great drivers were. He asked me an interesting question - what makes them great?

Got me thinking about what attributes make up a great driver and who is the best in each category such as - drafting, car control, consistency, restarts, qualifying, aggression, etc.

Drafting - junior
Car control - Kyle Busch
Consistency - Harvick
Restarts - Logano
Qualifying - tough I can't put my finger on one guy
Aggression - Kyle Busch

Sorry if a similar thread exists but thought it would be interesting to hear thoughts on what makes a driver great.
I agree with all that pretty much.. put Joey up there for aggression and qualifying though. Joey was my first thought for qualifying but I thought I might be being biased so I looked it up and from 2013 until now ...

upload_2016-7-17_11-34-5.png

..so I guess it's gotta go to Penske as a whole lol

Drafting - R. Petty
Car control - Tim Richmond
Consistency - Petty
Restarts - with money on the line: Buddy Baker
Qualifying - with money on the line: David Pearson
Aggression - D. Earnhardt

Back
Top Bottom