Automated Pit Road Officiating Technology (APROT)

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
This is certainly going to be a huge change this season and I'm sure there will be plenty of controversy. I haven't seen a lot about this and how it will work but here is a little insight from pittalks.com

Last week we announced that NASCAR was changing their view on penalizing lug nuts during a pit stop. Along with that, came the change of how pit crews were to be penalized for leaving the wall early. Over the years, this penalty has been a complete judgement call on the officials and there has been no way to prove whether a team/ official is correct. The rule has stated that crew members must remain on the wall until the car is one box away before jumping. Now…..that same rule is in play but NASCAR has a way of enforcing the rule with much more clarity and fairness.

NASCAR spent a number of races last year testing this idea behind closed doors and making sure all the kinks were worked out. This was not an easy undertaking and NASCAR has put in the time and money to make sure its fair and accurate. So here is what basically happens. NASCAR will have every pit road at every track scanned. The dimensions of the cars will be scanned as well. The technology will be locked into the timing and scoring that NASCAR already uses but this will be another addition to it. This technology will allow a computer to know exactly where a car is in relation to its pit box. When cars get one stall away, the technology will recognize the car and recognize the pit box that car should be pitting in. If a crew member has left early, the box will already show that it has activity in it before the driver got to his one away box and a penalty will be assessed. This same technology will be used to regulate and mandate drivers entering pit boxes to early and leaving.

Now, before everyone starts asking questions lets cover a couple of them in hopes that we can save you a breath or two. First off, NASCAR is all about safety, and they understand that during a race there might be times during a pit stop where a pit crew member leaves early for a good reason. There will be officials sitting in a trailer outside the track that look at all stops that come up as penalties. If an official decides that the crew was over the wall early to avoid a car pulling out or to clear something in their box, then they have the ability to wave off the penalty. For example: lets say a gas can got drug down pit road from another team and it landed in your box when you car was 10 stalls away. A pit crew member jumps off the wall to clear the gas can out of the stall and resets on the wall. The new system might pick up that there was activity in the pit box and signal a penalty to the trailer. Once the officials review what actually happened, they can make a judgement call to over rule what would have been a penalty because of circumstances.

Leaving early has been a major problem in the last few years with pit crew members and why not. Its not like anyone wants to get hit. So crew guys will push the limits of leaving early to make sure they get out in front of the cars and to the right sides. This new rule is going to put teams in a major hole if they get caught twice a race leaving early. Its going to take a lot of discipline by these guys to hold on until the right time. The problem comes when they want to make darn sure they don’t get a penalty and wait to late and get hit by the car. The drivers will have to pay much more attention to the crewmen now more than ever. Hitting a crewmen because they want in there stall quicker aint gonna help the stop go any faster.

from here

Looks like there will be a lot of pit crew training going on. Drivers that come into their box to hot are going to lose big time as they will throw off the pit crew and so more than the time saved will be lost. I think this rule will benefit Kyle Bush and hinder Kurt Bush. :director:

Cool technology. Hope it doesnt take the fun out of racing like how instant replays have taken the fun out of NFL. Let the boys play!

Let the boys race!

who will be the first team (Chad?!?!) caught chucking something into a neighbor's pit stall to set off the alarm?:D

$_57.JPG

how many penalties will we see at the first few races? should be intersting

Cool technology. Hope it doesnt take the fun out of racing like how instant replays have taken the fun out of NFL. Let the boys play!

Let the boys race!
remember when computers were going to make everything easy? They have made the must simply of things difficult.

Finally, a little bit of info is trickling out about the new technology. I think this new pit road officiating is going to be a huge story this season yet nobody really seems to be talking about it.

Here is one of the pit road camera that will be used to officiate stops this season.

B7V7JbEIMAA5h4_.jpg:large

@dustinlong

Work station for #NASCAR officials (8 per race) making calls about pit road penalties with new camera system.

B7V7qgEIUAA4gd1.jpg:large

teams better be practicing pit stops with off duty officials or something...wait...is that testing?

I'll wait to comment when I see it in action.

But at first glance it looks like another modern-era NASCAR snafu. Tech can either be really good or really bad.

Let the boys race!

The difference is that a automated device rules instantly, unlike a NFL booth review.
I like taking the subjectivity out of who is getting penalized. An automated system is absolutely consistent.

remember when computers were going to make everything easy? They have made the must simply of things difficult.

If they didn't make things better that would already be obsolete.

The difference is that a automated device rules instantly, unlike a NFL booth review.
I like taking the subjectivity out of who is getting penalized. An automated system is absolutely consistent.
You mean like the automated pit road speed lines that nobody ever took advantage of?
Judgement calls are still being made even with these cameras in place.

You mean like the automated pit road speed lines that nobody ever took advantage of?
Judgement calls are still being made even with these cameras in place.

Still the same if the timing lines are crossed wrong or incorrectly manipulated a penalty is issued.
It is cut and dry or non subjective. I would prefer rules that can be absolutely defined.
It also leaves room for a human official to address any glitch or strange circumstances like the crew from next stall setting off your alarm.

It is like replacing the old manual scoring systems with automated scoring. That has reduced several significant errors.
I am aware of at least four races with disputed winners due to the old manual scoring system.

Would you rather be scored by a stop watch that is affected by a human operator or an electronic monitor

Still the same if the timing lines are crossed wrong or incorrectly manipulated a penalty is issued.
It is cut and dry or non subjective. I would prefer rules that can be absolutely defined.
It also leaves room for a human official to address any glitch or strange circumstances like the crew from next stall setting off your alarm.

It is like replacing the old manual scoring systems with automated scoring. That has reduced several significant errors.
I am aware of at least four races with disputed winners due to the old manual scoring system.

Would you rather be scored by a stop watch that is affected by a human operator or an electronic monitor

The problem is that an automated system cant tell between good or bad. There are many things at play here, not just one.

Like your scoring system. That's cool and it works perfectly and I am glad it is there but then again, that's just one aspect of it. It only does just that. Times cars that trip the line or whatever else on the track.

With this new pit road self serving deal, you have any of 42 other cars going by your pit. Who's to say those said cars won't trigger your camera to go loco? Or for an oposing crew member to step over your line and so on. You absolutely need a human eye to judge these things.

They'll need more than 7 officials in that trailer, I'll tell you that.

They're relying too much on computers. You just know that they'll have a serious malfunction during a race eventually. Will they have to red flag events in case of crashes, freezes, and unexpected reboots?

Windows_9X_BSOD.png

This is certainly going to be a work in progress that will cause more than its share of controversy. I read somewhere a while back that they have already been using this, in the background, to work out the bugs but we all know how that normally goes. Things constantly have to be adjusted to make up for unforeseen circumstances.

Had a chance a few minutes ago to listen to Dustin Long explain this new technology on Sirius NASCAR Radio's The Morning Drive. I feel a lot better hearing it explained from someone who's seen a demonstration of it. If I see the audio link I'll post it.

One thing he did say is that we will probably see more pit road penalty's. Two types will probably stand out above all others. One being pit crew members going over the wall too soon. The other will be the driver going through more than the allowed pits prior to and after their designated pit.

Each camera will be able to focus primarily on two pit stalls. This is done in case a camera should fail. They would still have a backup available. If that should also fail they still have officials that can take over.

The camera's will be placed across the track from pit road. Basically from the fan side. They will check for the two things mentioned earlier as will as pitting in or out of the box. The 10 officials monitoring these cameras will all be located outside the track in a hauler next to the television compound. Pit stops will be placed into a queue for each of these officials to view. If the computer software recognizes an infraction it will push that stop to the beginning of the queue for a manual review. All stops will be reviewed but those ones will jump to the front of the line.

No doubt that this will all be a work in progress but it's the direction that they're going and I guess it has to start sometime.

I don't know it is possible, but with the automation I would prefer to see penalties issued in real time.

If you know you are busted, with no extenuating circumstances to appeal, or overrule. Then why not red light the car for something like an additional 10 second count off before exiting. That is far less punitive then having to make another stop and go.

I am sure some will cringe at the idea, but imo it is a minimalist approach. Pit road speed limits are a necessary evil. But it should not be so devastating. At a track like Martinsville you are going to probably loose about two laps for a pass thru. In most cases a deal breaker for a decent finish.

It will probably be like pit speed limit monitoring; once they figure out how it works they will find ways to work with it. I wonder if the teams have access to their pit video so they have a chance to correct any mistake before a penalty is given.

I don't know it is possible, but with the automation I would prefer to see penalties issued in real time.

If you know you are busted, with no extenuating circumstances to appeal, or overrule. Then why not red light the car for something like an additional 10 second count off before exiting. That is far less punitive then having to make another stop and go.

I am sure some will cringe at the idea, but imo it is a minimalist approach. Pit road speed limits are a necessary evil. But it should not be so devastating. At a track like Martinsville you are going to probably loose about two laps for a pass thru. In most cases a deal breaker for a decent finish.
It would be tough to do a real-time enforcement of speeding exiting pit road or taking equipment out of the box, etc.... I think it's good the way they do it now as far as enforcement.

I don't know what the hell this is about other than costing NASCAR Officials jobs. Do not tell me this is about safety until they allow pit road speed limiters. They don't want those because it takes the human element out of it. Wait. Misguided and unnecessary. Silly Brian.

I can see a lot of hiccups and kinks being worked out in 2015.

So what happens when someone unplugs the system? I'm assuming some of the cameras will fail or a technical problem takes out the system at some point. Stuff like that happens.

There will be a learning curb or adjustment. They may even need a back up power supply.

But in the end I am expecting more efficient and better race control. I am sorry if any officials loose their jobs, they have performed a necessary but thankless job as stewards or enforcers, they deserve the respect.

But I don't believe that is the intent or motivation. There will still be a need to monitor, but getting as many people off pit road as possible in harms way is a good thing.

With the potential for 43 cars to enter pit road at once, it is like trying to disect an earthquake in real time. Human eyes will always be needed for discretion that no computer can match. But the programs that will work can deliver perfect readings every time. For those simple task they are unequaled.

Hopefully the early races doesn't get anyone killed or injured. No pun intended

It will be just fine, relax. The best thing I heard in the interview on XM this morning on the morning drive show,was, that if they check the video and there is a penalty it could come 2 to 3 laps after going green, which means no long yellows waiting on a decision. Plus there is some kind of voodoo soft wear in this system that can be programmed to detect certain activity, sots like an alarm that a human would then check for accuracy.

Plus the guy said that Nascar was testing this last year at some tracks, we just did not know about it.

There was also no mention of how a team could contest the decision for a penalty based on a video feed.B)

Will 15 second pit stops become the norm again?

I would think this will affect how every driver approaches their pits and how the crew pits the car. You would think seconds will be lost because they're afraid to trigger this or that.

I suppose that was one of the reasons why NASCAR is not enforcing the "all lugnuts must be tighly secure on the wheel" rule before pitting out.

Will 15 second pit stops become the norm again?

I would think this will affect how every driver approaches their pits and how the crew pits the car. You would think seconds will be lost because they're afraid to trigger this or that.

I suppose that was one of the reasons why NASCAR is not enforcing the "all lugnuts must be tighly secure on the wheel" rule before pitting out.

Well I sure am glad nobody will be on pit road with all of the unsecured wheels flying around. This is so smart. Who knows, maybe one will land in the stands. S-T-U-P-I-D. Oh, I forgot, the crews will be on the honor system with this. Well, maybe we can **** can all pit road tech in favor of the honor system. Nobody will try to gain an advantage. We can trust them. Can't we?

This topic reminds me of the song, In the year 2525 from a long time ago. The topic isn't bad, but this new science is rapidly growing by leaps and bounds.

I can see a lengthy yellow while things get straightened out during a race. A red flag could be possible.

Maybe they should set it up and do a beta, or dry run tests, during the upcoming season before fully implementing the system.
Nah, they'd make too much sense....

Back
Top Bottom