'Battle at Bristol' $5M profit

Good. If it's profitable, keep doing it. Anything that gets more exposure for NASCAR helps. Just please don't schedule it opposite Richmond again.

Tennessee fans keep saying that Bristol won't do this again, just a special one time thing for UT & VT, etc. I've been saying all along that it would happen again and it would likely include other big name schools. An Alabama vs. Ohio State game at BMS would dwarf the UT-VT game. There are several other schools from the east coast/southeast that could be used that would sellout or get pretty close. Now that it has been done once and the logistics have been worked out, it makes it that much easier to make it happen again.

Tennessee fans keep saying that Bristol won't do this again, just a special one time thing for UT & VT, etc. I've been saying all along that it would happen again and it would likely include other big name schools. An Alabama vs. Ohio State game at BMS would dwarf the UT-VT game. There are several other schools from the east coast/southeast that could be used that would sellout or get pretty close. Now that it has been done once and the logistics have been worked out, it makes it that much easier to make it happen again.
You're kidding, right? There are people who actually thought the track went to all that effort to put this on with no intention of ever doing it again?

They may be UT fans, but that level of naivety makes me wonder if they finished high school. o_O

You're kidding, right? There are people who actually thought the track went to all that effort to put this on with no intention of ever doing it again?

They may be UT fans, but that level of naivety makes me wonder if they finished high school. o_O

I wish I were kidding. Overall, the UT fan base isn't the smartest lot and the majority of them are under the impression that it is still the mid 90's and Tennessee is God's gift to college football.

Could turn into a big-time version of Bowman-Gray Stadium.
That track also serves as the football field for WSSU.
Problem is, when football season starts racing season must end. And there aren't enough fights during the football games...

Maybe not football next year, but I am hearing they are negotiating with WWE for a title belt match.

A lot of racetracks are moving towards hosting non-racing events. I don't know how tracks can profit just being open one or two weeks a year.

Even weekly short tracks are getting into hosting fairs and concerts and other events.

A lot of racetracks are moving towards hosting non-racing events. I don't know how tracks can profit just being open one or two weeks a year.

Even weekly short tracks are getting into hosting fairs and concerts and other events.
Dover had a big weekend concert last year at the track,

No issue with any of that, but Bristol looked like a terrible place to watch a football game from the stands.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway hosts the Red Bull Air Race series (along with IMS), which looks cool.

Last edited:
No issue with any of that, but Bristol looked like a terrible place to watch a football game from the stands.

Las Vegas Motor Speedway hosts the Red Bull Air Race series (along with IMS), which looks cool.
However terrible you think it looked, it was worse. Here was my view...

uploadfromtaptalk1477535349334.jpg

Looks like you need binoculars to see anything. Never understood the hype about the game aside from the fact that they broke the attendance record. Gossage wanting to have a game at Texas Motor Speedway was funny to me.

Looks like you need binoculars to see anything. Never understood the hype about the game aside from the fact that they broke the attendance record. Gossage wanting to have a game at Texas Motor Speedway was funny to me.
It was a helluva party/tailgate during the day. Once the game started, it sucked.

Way back when, I went to a football game in the Astrodome --- utvol, your pic was about the same thing I saw from the rafters of the Dome.

I would have got dizzy trying to follow Earl Campbell and his marvelous runs!!!

It was a helluva party/tailgate during the day. Once the game started, it sucked.

I know a lot of people don't understand it but actually seeing the game was secondary to attending the event and partaking in the revelry. I figured race fans would be more empathetic with not being able to see the action because the truth is at many tracks you miss large gaps in the action due to poor sight lines and you need to keep an eye on the provided monitor(s) or a radio to really know what is going on.

I know a lot of people don't understand it but actually seeing the game was secondary to attending the event and partaking in the revelry. I figured race fans would be more empathetic with not being able to see the action because the truth is at many tracks you miss large gaps in the action due to poor sight lines and you need to keep an eye on the provided monitor(s) or a radio to really know what is going on.
Yeah, there were definitely a lot of people there just for the experience and to say that they were there. I wouldn't have gone if my mother-in-law hadn't bought tickets for all of us. I've been to around 150 UT games, including a national championship, so I wasn't concerned about going for the experience even though it was a good time. I spent most of the night pissed off because I couldn't tell what was going on during the game.

The game couldn’t be followed on the TV thing hangin’ over the facility?

The game couldn’t be followed on the TV thing hangin’ over the facility?
Nope. They weren't using the TV feed on the Jumbotron, they were using a camera that seemed to be about as far away from the field as I was. There was minimal difference in looking at the screen or at the field.

I went to a hockey game in Montreal and watched the whole game on a TV right in front of me. Then i realized I could save a lot of money by watching my own TV at home and have my lady friend serve me beer in her birthday suit. :D

Nope. They weren't using the TV feed on the Jumbotron, they were using a camera that seemed to be about as far away from the field as I was. There was minimal difference in looking at the screen or at the field.

Well done......................................

I can revel in my own driveway for a lot less than one of those tickets costs, and I won't have to wait in line to use the john.

Poor sight lines? I don't go back to those tracks (Indy), and tell others to avoid them.

I can revel in my own driveway for a lot less than one of those tickets costs, and I won't have to wait in line to use the john.

Poor sight lines? I don't go back to those tracks (Indy), and tell others to avoid them.

I have my Andy Rooney on most days so crowds are not my thing as a rule. Oh......and I have let my eyebrows grow out and try and scowl a lot too.

All I've heard from quite a few people is that IMS is a terrible place to watch a race. At least with road courses you can wander around or camp.

For anyone who's been to Talladega or Daytona, what's the sightlines like? How far up before full visibility of the track?

All I've heard from quite a few people is that IMS is a terrible place to watch a race. At least with road courses you can wander around or camp.

For anyone who's been to Talladega or Daytona, what's the sightlines like? How far up before full visibility of the track?
As high as you can afford........

Back
Top Bottom