Brad Keselowski: 'I'm not buying into the villain thing'

SpeedPagan

The iRacing Guru
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ona-500-brad-keselowski-jeff-gordon/23526767/

While I do agree that he isn't the villain because of what happened at Texas, that was just good ol' hard racing. However, I do think his attitude need some adjustment because otherwise, some of these young drivers will get fed up with him and just start putting him into the wall until his attitude changes.

Jeez, win one championship and you think you're the top dog.

Couldn't finish reading it completely. He just proved how much of a asshat he is. Jeff has the cash, he should put a bounty on his head and pay S & P'ers to put him in the wall.
But I don't mean that in a bad way....

Im a brad fan, but come on...can you see this guy as a villain?

upload_2015-2-17_16-49-47.jpeg

I could not get through the article as it kept regurgitating one theme. BKez is a helluva talent but he obviously is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. The problem for him now or in 20,000 feet or whatever BS he was spouting on about is that many in the garage do not respect him and the feeling is justified. I don't see other drivers deliberately going after them but I do see 42 other cars racing him the way he races them. Let me know, Brad, how that works out for you.

From what I did read he says there's going to be a lot of drivers retiring and the crop coming up aren't any good. So he envisions himself to be right up there in the years to come with the King and Sr. What a maroon....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ona-500-brad-keselowski-jeff-gordon/23526767/

While I do agree that he isn't the villain because of what happened at Texas, that was just good ol' hard racing. However, I do think his attitude need some adjustment because otherwise, some of these young drivers will get fed up with him and just start putting him into the wall until his attitude changes.

Jeez, win one championship and you think you're the top dog.
Hell of a lot of drivers who have been in the sport a lot longer wish they had that championship.
Winning 6 races last year may also lead some to think he is racing hard.

BTW, only BK , and Tony have beat JJ for a championship in the chase era.

He made some contact on a restart in efforts to have a chance to win the damn championship, whether he is a villain or not, it's not a bad thing.

From what I did read he says there's going to be a lot of drivers retiring and the crop coming up aren't any good. So he envisions himself to be right up there in the years to come with the King and Sr. What a maroon....
Try reading it again. What he said was the really good drivers are NOT getting the chance to come to cup because their daddy's don't have millions to buy them a ride. He could be right, look who are getting rides, girls with big sponsors, drivers who daddies company is their sponsor, or maybe your granddad owns a team?

What do you mean? I am the little guy at the end of the bar! Doing well, Pete, and I hope you are too

Having a rough winter, lungs are giving out but so far no oxygen tank.
Hasn't affected my sarcastic comments though. LOL

@Team Penske it won't let me quote you,

But very valid point. Brad is still an annoying little $#!+, however that was, imho, a right dead in the bullseye accurate summary of the new generation of NASCAR drivers (and if we're being honest we can go ahead and throw Frenchie in that crop as well).

To be fair, NASCAR and motorsports in general has never been a poor man's game. I mean, you don't see kids getting together on a Summer afternoon with go-karts for a pick-up race. It's too expensive, it's cheaper to do that with football, soccer, and basketball.

Also, I find's Brad K's complaint about how millionaire kids are taking over the sports hilarious, considering that K-Automotive Motorsports, the team that he ran for in the truck series is owned by his family.

Hypocrite much?

To be fair, NASCAR and motorsports in general has never been a poor man's game. I mean, you don't see kids getting together on a Summer afternoon with go-karts for a pick-up race. It's too expensive, it's cheaper to do that with football, soccer, and basketball.

Also, I find's Brad K's complaint about how millionaire kids are taking over the sports hilarious, considering that K-Automotive Motorsports, the team that he ran for in the truck series is owned by his family.

Hypocrite much?

Like I said, he's still a little $#!+.

Hypocrite much?
Don't look into things very deep do you. They tried to run the truck series for 2 sons. For a family with no money I thought they were pretty good parents. Daddy could have just kept this as a hobby for himself. By the way, you do know they put everything they had into it and more. Eventually they were bankrupt. From the money Junior paid Brad, he bailed his parents out of debt. I think that was nice of Brad. It is one of the things that made me a fan long before he was winning. BTW, he also invested a little to help his brother try to get started or keep going.

How many Nascar drivers (other than Harvick) bailed on the truck series or for that matter the Xfinity series. DW failed faster than he did driving his own car.

Don't look into things very deep do you. They tried to run the truck series for 2 sons. For a family with no money I thought they were pretty good parents. Daddy could have just kept this as a hobby for himself. By the way, you do know they put everything they had into it and more. Eventually they were bankrupt. From the money Junior paid Brad, he bailed his parents out of debt. I think that was nice of Brad. It is one of the things that made me a fan long before he was winning. BTW, he also invested a little to help his brother try to get started or keep going.

How many Nascar drivers (other than Harvick) bailed on the truck series or for that matter the Xfinity series. DW failed faster than he did driving his own car.

His statement is still hypocritical. He bitches about how daddies are paying the way for the next crop of drivers,but oops, his dad did the same thing.

He could have turned it into a positive and said something like "You know, this sport is really hard to get into, it takes dedication, talent and it takes knowing the right people. Luckily for me, my family has been behind me 100%, and without their help, I wouldn't be where I am today. At the end of the day, this is a family sport, and that's what I see now, families coming together for the passion of racing."

But nope, he just went, "DURR HURR, I MADE IT ON MY OWN, THESE BILLIONAIRE BABIES CAN SUCK MY NUTS!"

Except no...he didn't.

People complain about him, but his style has produced a championship and he had the most wins last year. Maybe Hamlin and Ky Busch should focus on their driving a bit besides always finding a mic so they can talk bad about Brad.

You may hate what he says but Brad is good for the sport.

Hell of a lot of drivers who have been in the sport a lot longer wish they had that championship.

What about uncle harv?

the only thing wrong with Brad, he is not wearing a bowtie. he's every thing you want in a driver.

Hi guys. New member here, first post! I look forward to becoming part of the community.

As for the thread. Brad as the villain is a role given to him by the media. He's already sort of self appointed himself as ambassador of the sport. I don't think he fits the roll of villain all too well. He may not be the bad boy KB used to be, or even DW used to be. Brad is just a hard racer who speaks what's on his mind. He's too goofy and too caring about the sport itself to be considered a villain. Brad is more of the driver who annoys everyone because of his own self image. One championship and he's reverted back to his older ways. I'm not gonna say he's bad, cause he's good for the sport. However he does need to tone it down a little bit. And by tone it down, I mean just piss less people off. It's hard racing, and yeah he has every right to do that, however he isn't really apart of that sort of veteran champion/driver philosophy. There are certain things that drivers do and don't accept. Sort of like mutual respect for drivers on the track. Prime example is the Texas incident. Jeff left a hole, perhaps due to a wide entry, brad took it. Which is fine, but a good driver, and a champion should know that the gap was going to close. This isn't a big deal but he's been pissing people off due to situations like that. Texas in itself wasn't a huge deal, it was the tipping of the iceberg. Brad's a great driver and this whole villain thing, this whole, "drivers being mad at him" thing would just be a distraction.

Yes, but Tony beat him before he was "JJ". Not to mention Jimmie wrecked in that race

Having a rough winter, lungs are giving out but so far no oxygen tank.
Hasn't affected my sarcastic comments though. LOL

I don't want to sound like your mom but please don't overdue it as we need you here for many more years

I think his pass at Chicagoland last year is a perfect example of why his driving style will take him far in his career.

I like what it said at the beginning.

"If you are a Gordon fan or Keselowski hater, don't read this".

Pretty sure he is one of the best drivers in the field, champion in Xfinity and Sprint Cup, and the guy has no filter. I like the edge, I like the attitude, but this is what is bothering me. I don't like how he threw Newman under the bus. A "character move" Brad? It was the SIMILAR move to Phoenix as it would be Texas because honestly Newman did the right thing to advance into the final four. He did what he had to do to move on and if it meant crashing someone, so be it. That was a bit two-sided and quite skewed because hell even Larson said, "I would have done the same thing". This is someone who is propped on a pedestal like Brad said about Larson and Elliott.

I love his effort, his talent is immense and no one is taking that away from Keselowski. The main issue is his attitude and some of the things he says are farfetched. No disrespect, but if you're going to call someone out for character traits, you need to look at yourself first. Hypocritical... I would say no, but biased about himself and his persona, yes.

There are ordinary drivers, above average drivers and smart drivers. He's just as aggressive as the rest of the drivers, nothing new there, but he's not a very smart driver. At Texas, going down into Turn 1 he did see a hole, but didn't think beyond his nose anticipating when that hole was going to close up, thus taking out the 24 in the process. It was purely a desperation move, he forced his way passed the 24 and HAD to win that race to move on. IF the shoe had been on the other foot, he would have been just as mad as Gordon was.

When the camera is on him on pit road, he appears to be rehearsing for a job in the booth after his racing career is over. :rolleyes:

I think that what started all the dislike toward him and slowly irritated other drivers was when he took it upon himself to be the spokesperson for the rest of the drivers when he won his champeenship. The last spokesperson for the drivers was DEsr who had the respect of all the cup drivers and the ears of the NASCAR hierarchy. No champeenship driver since then had the desire to fill his shoes "til ******* Brad. Brad is not DEsr and never will be no matter how hard he tries.

He is a great driver. Just a nut job off the the track
A badass when trying to win, and he makes some great moves.
But his pouting has nothing to do with being a badass, just more like a goofy dumbass.

He is a great driver. Just a nut job off the the track
A badass when trying to win, and he makes some great moves.
But his pouting has nothing to do with being a badass, just more like a goofy dumbass.
I really like that part.

BKez reminds me of the little guy at the end of the bar who won't shut up

Hey now!...I'm usually that guy and I have a wealth of wisdom I try to disseminate. Like: Did you know the moon's orbit around the earth is not actually a perfect circle?...or that all Australian Aborigines can roll their tongues?

There are ordinary drivers, above average drivers and smart drivers. He's just as aggressive as the rest of the drivers, nothing new there, but he's not a very smart driver. At Texas, going down into Turn 1 he did see a hole, but didn't think beyond his nose anticipating when that hole was going to close up, thus taking out the 24 in the process. It was purely a desperation move, he forced his way passed the 24 and HAD to win that race to move on. IF the shoe had been on the other foot, he would have been just as mad as Gordon was.

When the camera is on him on pit road, he appears to be rehearsing for a job in the booth after his racing career is over. :rolleyes:

I think that what started all the dislike toward him and slowly irritated other drivers was when he took it upon himself to be the spokesperson for the rest of the drivers when he won his champeenship. The last spokesperson for the drivers was DEsr who had the respect of all the cup drivers and the ears of the NASCAR hierarchy. No champeenship driver since then had the desire to fill his shoes "til dipsh!t Brad. Brad is not DEsr and never will be no matter how hard he tries.
I would actually argue that Brad is normally a very smart driver that slipped up last season and made some dumb moves, and I'm not counting Texas. His general intelligence behind the wheel is actually one of the reasons why I started liking him again after disliking him when he first moved up to Cup.

Hopefully he'll have his head on straight this season.

What about uncle harv?

Notice I said the Chase Era.
Starting last year, this is now the " Elimination Series "
Happy is happy to be the first winner. :)
2015 is the "Jeff Gordon Retirement Series" It's a one off to give Jeff Gordon his fifth Championship
and another Daytona Pole.

His statement is still hypocritical. He bitches about how daddies are paying the way for the next crop of drivers,but oops, his dad did the same thing.

He could have turned it into a positive and said something like "You know, this sport is really hard to get into, it takes dedication, talent and it takes knowing the right people. Luckily for me, my family has been behind me 100%, and without their help, I wouldn't be where I am today. At the end of the day, this is a family sport, and that's what I see now, families coming together for the passion of racing."

But nope, he just went, "DURR HURR, I MADE IT ON MY OWN, THESE BILLIONAIRE BABIES CAN SUCK MY NUTS!"

Except no...he didn't.
I think we are talking 2 different things here. Brad's dad went broke trying to help his sons get noticed in the TRUCK SERIES. It did give Brad a chance and Junior picked up on him. From there on Brad earned everything he got.

I think what Brad was talking about was young guys who were able to get big sponsors and therefore great rides. I will say, Menard, the Dillion boys, Rusty's son and a few more fill that model. He was saying that some of the greatest young drivers out there will not get a chance because they can't get that big sponsor or their family can't buy them a ride.
I think Brad was right on the money with that statement as we already see that happening.

BTW, just because I am a Team Penske fan that doesn't mean I am overly prejudiced in their favor. There are times I wish he would STFU and drive.

Hi guys. New member here, first post! I look forward to becoming part of the community.

As for the thread. Brad as the villain is a role given to him by the media. He's already sort of self appointed himself as ambassador of the sport. I don't think he fits the roll of villain all too well. He may not be the bad boy KB used to be, or even DW used to be. Brad is just a hard racer who speaks what's on his mind. He's too goofy and too caring about the sport itself to be considered a villain. Brad is more of the driver who annoys everyone because of his own self image. One championship and he's reverted back to his older ways. I'm not gonna say he's bad, cause he's good for the sport. However he does need to tone it down a little bit. And by tone it down, I mean just piss less people off. It's hard racing, and yeah he has every right to do that, however he isn't really apart of that sort of veteran champion/driver philosophy. There are certain things that drivers do and don't accept. Sort of like mutual respect for drivers on the track. Prime example is the Texas incident. Jeff left a hole, perhaps due to a wide entry, brad took it. Which is fine, but a good driver, and a champion should know that the gap was going to close. This isn't a big deal but he's been pissing people off due to situations like that. Texas in itself wasn't a huge deal, it was the tipping of the iceberg. Brad's a great driver and this whole villain thing, this whole, "drivers being mad at him" thing would just be a distraction.
Welcome, jaqua!

Back
Top Bottom