BREAKING: NASCAR requires all five lugnuts to be tightened

I still don't understand what part of Tony said was attacking the governing body because that would be the only way his fine makes sense.

And the penalty for missing lug nuts is absurd. I'm guessing NA$CAR was not all to happy with the drivers council so they decided to be dicks and make the penalty as over the top as possible.

The series said a tire falling off in a Sprint Cup race due to ''improper installation'' would mean a minimum four-race suspension of the crew chief and other pit crew members involved. If lug nuts are found missing after a race, Cup teams face at least a $20,000 fine and a one-race suspension for the crew chief. The penalties are less for the Xfinity and Truck series, but still substantial for the lower-funded teams.

NASCAR said a ''long-term solution'' was in the works.

Stewart was fined $35,000 for his criticism and that fine stands.

Rodney Childers ‏@RodneyChilders4 2h2 hours ago
Rodney Childers Retweeted Joey Meier

All the years of hitting 5, and hardly ever was all 20 on post race.. I will sit at home for a week at some point..

Now I can rest easy. It will forever put an end to loose wheels. o_O And lug nut threads. :cool:

This had to be one of the biggest, blown out of proportion, non stories that we've had in a long, long time. Much Ado About Nothing.

I really thought this was going to be a nasarcam post... BF is getting even dumber over time.

This falls along the line of 'Be careful what you ask for'. Good deal Tony. Now the car can be asked to come to pit road at the discretion of NASCAR. Not going to be able to be policed properly. They may end up being on there. Lose, but on there.

This falls along the line of 'Be careful what you ask for'. Good deal Tony. Now the car can be asked to come to pit road at the discretion of NASCAR. Not going to be able to be policed properly. They may end up being on there. Lose, but on there.

Drivers have been called down pit road to tighten lugnuts before during green flag conditions only for the officials to have messed up. Happened to Mark Martin once.

History does tend to repeat itself eh? They used to have officials on pit road pointing fingers.. How are the cameras across the track going to notice missing lugs?

The Stewart fine was a bad BAD over reaction to Smoke's comments. Nascar should have had the balls to admit they over reacted, and rescind the fine, IMO.

History does tend to repeat itself eh? They used to have officials on pit road pointing fingers.. How are the cameras across the track going to notice missing lugs?

I thought they had cameras in every stall or something. They're able to see other pit road infractions. And if there is video replay, that makes it easier to verify something before calling someone in, I would think.

I thought they had cameras in every stall or something. They're able to see other pit road infractions. And if there is video replay, that makes it easier to verify something before calling someone in, I would think.
There is no video from the pit wall/driver side. All of the cameras are up high outside the track on top of the stands.

Geeze

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Look I don't like the fine any more than the next guy but the way they had the rule worked as intended. Stewart was complaining about a situation that never happened and NASCAR caved when it shouldn't have. More cost for the sport and another way for officials to screw with the outcome for no benefit. I get it, you old timers have a pathological hate for Brian France so anyone who criticizes him for any reason must be right. But go back to 2014 when the rule was first proposed and I bet most of you were in favor if it.

Get Tony to speak out about the chase format now and maybe they will change that too!
Best thing I've read all year!

Helmet cams would make it easy to check. (sponsored by Go-Pro)
Yeah, I can't think of any reason why reviewing 160 Go-Pro video's would take that much time at all. :D

Look I don't like the fine any more than the next guy but the way they had the rule worked as intended. Stewart was complaining about a situation that never happened and NASCAR caved when it shouldn't have. More cost for the sport and another way for officials to screw with the outcome for no benefit. I get it, you old timers have a pathological hate for Brian France so anyone who criticizes him for any reason must be right. But go back to 2014 when the rule was first proposed and I bet most of you were in favor if it.
Sums it up real well.

At the last Martinsville race, I took a pic of some of the cams that they use for watching for pit road violations. These cameras are located at the top of the terrace at the end of the front straightaway, directly behind my seat location.

The second pic is the view of the track from that same location. I don't know how those four cameras work. Each one may be pointed at a particular it or multiple pits. These same cameras are located at the other end of the track for those pits and along the straightaway where the spotters stand.

They only get a view from the 'fan side' of the track. They will not give any indication whatsoever how many lug nuts are tight/not tight, on/not on.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 149
My tapatalk isn't working....? I notice @jaqua19 has been able to use tapatalk too.
Sucks...settings? maybe reinstall? I was going to ask you how you got the cool font on yours...

This reversal seems weird...how without officals will they police lugs? the current cameras as dpk says wont work...

mrduke gasman on the 4

Very good question. There is no way for certain to tell if they are all on tight, but yes, they all wear helmet cams that can either have the SD cards popped out, or a USB cord attached to a laptop. Funny you mentioned this as in one of our stops our rear changer wasn't sure he got em all tight on the left rear before the jackman shipped it, so they grabbed his helmet cam and our pit crew coach grabbed his camera and they looked. You still can't 100% tell from looking at it as there are so many things different in gun PSI, hand speed, angle nut was hit, etc. A lot of changers know how it "feel" to have them tight, but with all these new pit guns being so different or rotating a few thousand RPM's, things don't feel like they used to.

Reactions: Pat
UPDATE: NASCAR's updated rule states that if any missing lug nuts are found on a wheel before the race it must be corrected immediately and is listed as an unapproved adjustment, forcing the competitor to start at the rear. Any tire intended for race use without all five lug nuts glued to the wheel must be fixed immediately. If the issue is found after a Sprint Cup race, the crew chief will be suspended for one race, placed on probation and fined $20,000 on the first offense. Multiple events will result in escalated penalties. The penalty in the Xfinity Series is a one-race suspension for the crew chief, probation and a $10,000 fine. In the Camping World Truck Series, the penalty is a one-race suspension, probation and a $5,000 fine.(NBC Sports)
AND: "Our job is whenever there's a safety improvement to make or a policy to enhance things, we will just do that," NASCAR CEO Brian France said Monday during an interview with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. "It's as simple as that. There's not a controversial thing. Our whole system is based on safe and competitive racing. If we can make an adjustment to make things safer, we just simply will." (Associated Press)(4-26-2016)

Yet they allowed cars to run at speed on tracks with less than 5 lug nuts. That made things safer?
Proof the brain and others are too stupid to pour piss out of a boot.

''Our job is whenever there's a safety improvement to make or a policy to enhance things, we will just do that," NASCAR CEO Brian France said Monday during an interview with SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. "It's as simple as that. There's not a controversial thing. Our whole system is based on safe and competitive racing. If we can make an adjustment to make things safer, we just simply will."

I'm sure that I look at this differently than most everyone but I can't wait to see the teams get burnt with this new rule. They went from what was an overblown subject to having a rule put in place to further penalizing them. People can chastise NASCAR, Brian France, the powers that be all they want, the teams are going to come out the losers in all of this.

Again, be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

Yeah, I can't think of any reason why reviewing 160 Go-Pro video's would take that much time at all. :D
80. They'd only be required for the tire changers. :D
Sucks...settings? maybe reinstall? I was going to ask you how you got the cool font on yours...

Any way you can kill the autosignature / advertisement? I don't know what Tapatalk is but that 'Sent from...' is getting old.

Back
Top Bottom