BREAKING NEWS: Rick Hendrick Plane Crash

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
those who have been pilots, correct me if i am wrong,

Why didn't the pilot just do a touch and go, circle around, and re-approach with a slower airspeed?

those who have been pilots, correct me if i am wrong,

Why didn't the pilot just do a touch and go, circle around, and re-approach with a slower airspeed?

Eh there's a limit of how slow your approach speed can be. When an aircraft is on final (lined up with the runway, gears down, flaps down, ready to land), you're basically at the best approach speed for that aircraft. Anything less than you'll be risking a stall.

Now a stall in an aircraft is not the same as an engine stall in your car. A stall is when the wings of the aircraft loses it's ability to lift the aircraft due to a high angle of attack. To have the aircraft stall at that low of an altitude is just dangerous and can be deadly.

Which is why ALL pilots are trained that when in the pattern and on approach, you use your angle of attack as speed and power (throttle) to gain or lose altitude.

So basically, it came down to whether or not the pilots wanted to have a controlled crash landing, or to stall out the aircraft by having a too low of an approach speed and have the aircraft fall out of the sky and into the ground.

Neither situation is good, but one is better than the other.

First I,ve heard about this but from what the article says they landed without incedent then had No wheel brakes, I beleive the Gulstream 150 has reverse thruster's? Remember that airport has limited runoff apparently they just could'nt get it whoa'd up before the end off the runway.
Glad no one was hurt ( except for the wallet of the aircraft leaser )

omg... I about had a heart attack when I saw this title! I'm behind a day in news. For many Hendrick fans, that was too darn close for comfort. Sunday was the anniversary of the plane crash where their son, brother, nieces, etc., were killed on the way to Martinsville. Way too close for comfort. So relieved to hear they are ok.

omg... I about had a heart attack when I saw this title! I'm behind a day in news. For many Hendrick fans, that was too darn close for comfort. Sunday was the anniversary of the plane crash where their son, brother, nieces, etc., were killed on the way to Martinsville. Way too close for comfort. So relieved to hear they are ok.

Yes, it did coincide with the Martinsville race in 2004 but the anniversary was on October 24th. Still, all to familiar. It seems that the air travel, to/from/around these events are far more dangerous than the races themselves.

Plane registerd to Jimmie Johnson racing.

I predict Jimmie will start racing alot more aggresively now..... that Gulfstream is a 18 Million dollar aircraft cost around 4k an hour to operate!
Just replacing the tires is going to cost 20-30k.

Yes, it did coincide with the Martinsville race in 2004 but the anniversary was on October 24th. Still, all to familiar. It seems that the air travel, to/from/around these events are far more dangerous than the races themselves.

You know, I started typing October 24, but then I got confused since everyone was hoping they'd win the race this past weekend since it was at Martinsville. I still have some cobwebs floating around in my head even if it is afternoon. :eek: It does seem a lot of small aircraft run into trouble, but we are all still more vulnerable in our cars, so they say! ;-) Anyway, yes it is all too familiar.

The way I understand it, it is Jimmie's plane so who tampered with the brakes.
Here come the black helicopters.
Just kidding. Real glad to hear everyone is OK for the most part.

LOL I did'nt even catch that, I guess when you have some CA CHING in your pocket you can tell the FAA what you want.

Eh actually, any pilot or aircraft owner can do this. They can register an N number that they want (as long as it's not taken) with the FAA. Many experimental aircraft builders take advantage of this, since they are the builder of the aircraft, they get to choose the N number.

I'm happy to hear that all aboard are doing well.

However, if Rick was belted in his seat for landing, how did he break a collarbone? I could see hitting the seat in front of you in a commercial plane, but a private one?

And as for tail numbers, most private planes carry as the last 2 letters, the initials of the owner.

And as for tail numbers, most private planes carry as the last 2 letters, the initials of the owner.

Really? Never seen this on the Tarmac at my local airport. Many four banger single prop aircrafts that are privately owned without the initials of the aircraft owner as the last two digits of the N number.

I should report them to the FAA. :p

Eh actually, any pilot or aircraft owner can do this. They can register an N number that they want (as long as it's not taken) with the FAA. Many experimental aircraft builders take advantage of this, since they are the builder of the aircraft, they get to choose the N number.

I did'nt realize it was that easy to change the tail numbers, 20 bucks heck I can swing that. Was'nt there something a few years ago about the FAA making it more difficult to change tail numbers due to smugglers and drug runners taking advantage of it to hide ownership of aircraft?

Wow.

AdM3ei7CIAA5AgS.jpg:large

That's $10 Million down the drain! I hope the insurance was current!

Everything Speed said is correct. "N" is the international designation for the US. You can have your choice of number/letters following if not already in use.

Landing is the most demanding activity in aviation. Altitude is governed by your throttle while maintaining correct angle of attack and speed to prevent a stall. Add in flap settings and don't forget that little lever with a wheel on it to lower the gear.

A short field with a moderate cross wind and you gots yerself a par---ty :growl:

Back
Top Bottom