BRISTOL: ESPN/ABC's annual middle finger to NASCAR fans

On the other hand, I think everyone here should contact NASCAR and let them know that if they are really concerned about the lower TV ratings they have been receiving lately, this is PRECISELY the kind of sh*t by networks that they shouldn’t be putting up with. You never know, someone there might actually read it and do something about it.

This is the reason FOX and NBC's contracts are very explicit about how many races are on broadcast and how many are on cable. NASCAR was PISSED when ESPN took the Chase races and moved them from ABC to ESPN. This had come after three years of races being moved from ABC to ESPN2 and ESPN to ESPN Classic.

But for preseason games there are 2 categories - the national games, which there's usually about 2 or 3 of each week. Then there's the games for the local team, but they're broadcast by one of the local stations not one of the national networks. So why is a Redskin game being shown on all these affiliates that clearly aren't Redskin markets?

For example, if you're out of market for Denver then you're not going to get any of the Bronco preseason games unless it's a national broadcast.

No, what I'm saying is those markets are probably getting local games, not WAS-BAL. For example, the Wyoming markets will probably be watching the Broncos game. St. Joseph, MO is probably showing the Chiefs. Washington-Baltimore in freaking Charlotte is probably the oddball.

Hashtag Sad Panthers Fan

I can understand this game being put on the local ABC affiliate instead of the race in the Washington, Baltimore, and immediately surrounding markets, but how does this game get on ABC in these other places like Texas, Missouri, Wyoming, etc? This is not a national game being carried by ABC/ESPN, therefore I don't understand how those places are even being offered this game.

I don't understand the race being pre-empted in Washington. The Redskins/Ravens game is already being televised on WRC-TV (NBC-4) and CSN in Washington. It's ALSO on WJLA-TV (ABC-7)? WJLA was looking for an excuse to not air the race and decided to jump in and simulcast WBAL-TV's broadcast of the same game WRC is showing. If I was a NASCAR fan in Washington (and there are tons in Southern Maryland), I would kirk out.

What I'm getting at is some number of people will always be SOL. There will be those who can't watch on their local broadcast affiliate because of preseason football and those who can't watch because cable channels don't have the same distribution figures due to their nature. From '01-'06 this was one of the lower-rated races in the second half of the season because it was on TNT. There's a good chance this will be the most-watched race of the year post-Coke 600.
2015, less people will be SOL, I am not sure if this applies to FOX, but for NBC, "· 'TV Everywhere' live-streaming rights for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series"

But for preseason games there are 2 categories - the national games, which there's usually about 2 or 3 of each week. Then there's the games for the local team, but they're broadcast by one of the local stations not one of the national networks. So why is a Redskin game being shown on all these affiliates that clearly aren't Redskin markets?

For example, if you're out of market for Denver then you're not going to get any of the Bronco preseason games unless it's a national broadcast.
Nashville and Louisville are showing Titans @ Falcons; Tulsa is showing Rams @ Browns; Duluth, Sioux Falls, and St. Joseph are showing Vikings @ Chiefs; Houston, San Antonio, and Casper are showing Texans @ Broncos.

2015, less people will be SOL, I am not sure if this applies to FOX, but for NBC, "· 'TV Everywhere' live-streaming rights for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and NASCAR Nationwide Series"

You have to have FS1 and NBCSN through your cable provider to access "FOX Sports GO" and "NBC Live Extra".

ABC or ESPN is NOT flipping the bird at Nascar fans, it is just a buisness decision, nothing personal.

I am very dissapointed to see something as beautiful and culturally refined as the art of extending your finger to tell someone you absolutely despise them, and wish them all the worse that life offers being misrepresented. A buisness decision just isnt worthy of the glorious finger, the glorious finger should only be reserved for pure unadulterated absoulute hatred.

Accomplished bird shooters understand the visual beauty and the exquisite pleasure one feels in delivering so much contempt gracefully with the classic flip(pause and meditate on the sacred visual beauty for a moment please).

And accomplished bird shooters do not waste the precious skilled finger on something like this.

No, what I'm saying is those markets are probably getting local games, not WAS-BAL. For example, the Wyoming markets will probably be watching the Broncos game. St. Joseph, MO is probably showing the Chiefs. Washington-Baltimore in freaking Charlotte is probably the oddball.

Hashtag Sad Panthers Fan

OK that makes sense, I was being stupid and thinking that the Redskins were also going to be shown in all those other markets too. I kept hearing about the Redskins game here in the Charlotte market and got locked in on the Redskins

Hashtag Sad Panthers Fan

No reason to be a sad panthers fan...remember, our boys play tonight.

#KeepPounding

ABC or ESPN is NOT flipping the bird at Nascar fans, it is just a buisness decision, nothing personal.

I am very dissapointed to see something as beautiful and culturally refined as the art of extending your finger to tell someone you absolutely despise them, and wish them all the worse that life offers being misrepresented. A buisness decision just isnt worthy of the glorious finger, the glorious finger should only be reserved for pure unadulterated absoulute hatred.

Accomplished bird shooters understand the visual beauty and the exquisite pleasure one feels in delivering so much contempt gracefully with the classic flip(pause and meditate on the sacred visual beauty for a moment please).

And accomplished bird shooters do not waste the precious skilled finger on something like this.

This here exhibit demonstates bird shooting performed correctly. Text book perfection.

Johnny Cash flips off country music radio for a million good reasons.

Note I simply added the link if you are afraid of getting in trouble on a work pc dont click

Maybe NSFW Johnny Cash shooting the bird

What gets me is the OP will defend to the death about how much more popular stick n ball is compared to motorsports, but oh the tragedy the mean ol networks aren't broadcasting the race. Crap has been going on for years. I would get stoned if I complained to the network around here. Oklahoma State is playing the champ from last year whoever that was. I got a stream lined up if it isn't on ESPN

What gets me is the OP will defend to the death about how much more popular stick n ball is compared to motorsports, but oh the tragedy the mean ol networks aren't broadcasting the race. Crap has been going on for years. I would get stoned if I complained to the network around here. Oklahoma State is playing the champ from last year whoever that was. I got a stream lined up if it isn't on ESPN

Andy is "special". He's been around here for years and seemingly hates NASCAR yet he can't stay away.

I was looking at the guide on DishNetwork and on Channel 145 ESPN they are "supposedly" having the race.
Sometimes those are national feeds can only be accessed if a waiver is obtained from your local affiliate.

I don't get why ABC allows affiliates to air something different from what they schedule for a national audience. Of all races!!!

I am in Houston right now with my aunt's ATT U-verse, and neither the afilliate nor ATT will air the race.

I don't return to Fort Worth (the D/FW affiliate will air the race) until tomorrow.

Last edited:
7:43 p.m. The affected markets:

Austin, Texas -- race telecast on digital cable: Time Warner channels 811 and 1240, Suddenlink channel 721, AT&T Channel 3024.

Charlotte, North Carolina -- race telecast on WAXN TV64. Available on Time Warner channel 1230, Charter channel 703, Compas channel 16, Comporium channel 110. WSOC-TV will join race in progress after football game ends.

Casper, Wyoming -- only available to satellite TV subscribers

Cheyenne, Wyoming -- only available to satellite TV subscribers

Duluth, Minnesota -- race telecast on digital cable: Charter channel 398, Mediacom channel 113.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania -- race telecast on digital cable: Comcast channel 246, Verizon channel 461, Blue Ridge Cable channel 152, Kuhn channel 67, Nittany Media 228.

Houston, Texas -- race telecast on digital cable: Comcast channels 315 and 685.

Louisville, Kentucky -- race telecast on digital cable: Comcast channel 432, Time Warner channel 207.

Nashville, Tennessee -- race telecast on digital cable: Comcast channel 245, Charter channel 136.

St. Joseph, Missouri -- race telecast on SuddenLink channel 9

San Antonio, Texas -- only available to satellite TV subscribers

Sioux Falls, South Dakota -- race telecast on digital cable: Mid-Continent channels 596 and 614. (Also DISH channel 36).

Tulsa, Oklahoma -- race telecast on digital cable: Cox channel 131.

Washington, D.C. -- race telecast on digital cable: Comcast channel 205, Cox channel 806, Verizon FiOS channel 467.

Weslaco, Texas -- race telecast on digital cable: Time Warner channel 877.

In Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Little Rock, Arkansas; Jonesboro, Arkansas; Fort Smith, Arkansas and Tyler, Texas, the local ABC affiliates will not air NASCAR Countdown due to airing local newscasts but all will join ABC for the race telecast at 7:30 p.m. ET.

I don't get why ABC allows affiliates to air something different from what they schedule for a national audience. Of all races!!!
Local market comes first, you have to keep in mind that local affiliates can and do have their own broadcast rights for local sports teams, so they have to honor those contracts, and if there is conflict , local is mostly likely going to win out over the national feed.

Affliates these days are suffering. It's a tough business these days. The only sport that no affiliate complains about is the nfl and to a lesser degree college FB. Fox and nbc channels in major markets (NYC,Phl,bos,chi,la,hou,dal,Bay Area) hate having to air nascar races. They do little to none ratings and those stations would make more $$$ airing infomercials or an old movie. Same goes for the mlb,nhl,nba. Very little reg season gms on broadcast anymore. Can't draw viewers. Hell this yr all of the mlb playoffs are on cable.

The Night Race at Bristol had more, many more, viewers in the Charlotte market than the Redskins/Ravens game. So, that excuse just went out the window.

Thank goodness ABC's gone after this year. And before people bring up the "NBC stations will do the same thing", this was NEVER a problem on NBC before. The only time a race was pre-empted on NBC was when Operation Enduring Freedom began and NBC moved the race to TNT to air MSNBC coverage of the beginning of the war in Afghanistan and President Bush's address to the nation.

This stuff really is an exclusive to ESPN and ABC problem.

Well the Bristol race was always on TNT so of course it want an issue in the last tv deal. Fully expect this race to be on nbcsn next season

Well the Bristol race was always on TNT so of course it want an issue in the last tv deal. Fully expect this race to be on nbcsn next season

Bristol isn't the only race that's faced these problems during ESPN's tenure. In the early years of this contract, ESPN was constantly moving races from ABC to ESPN2 and from ESPN to ESPN Classic and so on. Then, they moved all the Chase races (except Charlotte) from ABC to ESPN. And, on the ABC side, there have been countless instances of ABC affiliates dumping out of actual races to air local news or not communicating with ESPN to make sure races could be seen on an alternate channel in those markets.

This is a problem that's exclusive to ESPN and ABC. Only one time did NBC move a race from NBC to TNT and that was because the United States had just gone to war literally minutes before the race started.

Standard operating procedure for espn to move long delayed races from abc to a espn family channel. When Cfb or cbb runs over into nascar NW races they are forced to move to the start of the race. I'm sorry but nobody leaves a gm before it's over to show the start of next event. Fox as they did at Bristol and would've done at Texas will be moving long delayed races to fs1. Nbc will be doing the same

The ABC telecast was preempted in 11 television markets, up from seven last year and eight in 2012. Charlotte was among those 11 markets, with the race earning a 5.6 rating on independent affiliate WAXN — down 36% from last year on ABC affiliate WSOC (8.7).

Standard operating procedure for espn to move long delayed races from abc to a espn family channel. When Cfb or cbb runs over into nascar NW races they are forced to move to the start of the race. I'm sorry but nobody leaves a gm before it's over to show the start of next event. Fox as they did at Bristol and would've done at Texas will be moving long delayed races to fs1. Nbc will be doing the same

Actually, ESPN's standard protocol is to stick with an event until the end and move the beginning of another program to another network. This, for many years, was not their protocol with NASCAR and IndyCar (before they went to VERSUS, now NBCSN). It was very common for races to start on ABC and move to ESPN2. Or start on ESPN Classic, move to ESPN and then conclude on ESPN2. It was much worse with IndyCar than NASCAR.

This stuff really is an exclusive to ESPN and ABC problem.
Just easier to say
Actually, ESPN's standard protocol is to stick with an event until the end and move the beginning of another program to another network. This, for many years, was not their protocol with NASCAR and IndyCar (before they went to VERSUS, now NBCSN). It was very common for races to start on ABC and move to ESPN2. Or start on ESPN Classic, move to ESPN and then conclude on ESPN2. It was much worse with IndyCar than NASCAR.
Which is is fine if you were watching live(well not really), but if you were recording the race.

I remember them doing a lot of this, but it was mostly for rain delay/long red flags.

I just don't understand why there isn't a good option for streaming yet. I'd pay good money to get any televised NASCAR event without the commercials. All I'd ask in return was at least a 720p video feed and the ability to turn the commentary on/off, which wouldn't be hard for them to deliver.

We have Directv so I can't recall the last time I missed a race. But when I lived out of state I had to stream if I wanted to see Panthers games. I'd be happy to do the same with NASCAR.

Races only start on another channel when a live event runs over. This is also the protocol for fox and nbc. Only exception are weather delayed events. Fox will use fs1 and nbc will use nbcsn to air long delayed races. D500 being the only exception

Races only start on another channel when a live event runs over. This is also the protocol for fox and nbc. Only exception are weather delayed events. Fox will use fs1 and nbc will use nbcsn to air long delayed races. D500 being the only exception

Now you're just arguing with me, in every thread, for the sake of it. There are entire websites that were launched because of how bad ESPN was in 2007, 2008 and 2009. At one point, ESPN's coverage was so bad that DIRECTV HotPass used the MRN and PRN audio feeds on those channels instead of the ESPN feed.

And, as I stated, when NBC originally had NASCAR, they moved one race. In a timespan of six years. And that was because of a ****** war. Literally, a war.

Yeah. They aren't a sports channel with live events on before and after the race. NBC will move any of the last 3 races of the season to nbcsn should it run into Sunday night football and not think twice about it

Yeah. They aren't a sports channel with live events on before and after the race. NBC will move any of the last 3 races of the season to nbcsn should it run into Sunday night football and not think twice about it

Time will tell. NBC's moved Sunday Night Football to NBCSN before.

I teand to agree with you here. SNF has been the highest rated show in primetime the last 3 years, not just the highest rated sports show, but the highest rated show period. I don't see NBC moving a program that averages nearly 22 million viewers a week over to NBCSN to make room on NBC for an event that will probably have 4-5 million viewers.

I teand to agree with you here. SNF has been the highest rated show in primetime the last 3 years, not just the highest rated sports show, but the highest rated show period. I don't see NBC moving a program that averages nearly 22 million viewers a week over to NBCSN to make room on NBC for an event that will probably have 4-5 million viewers.
Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom