Bristol Report

A

Aggiewes

Sorry for the late report, but I am just getting back in the swing after an AWESOME weekend in Bristol.

I attended my first race at Bristol with my wife and 2 daughters. We had a blast!

First, thanks to all of you who helped with traffic info. We stayed in Blowing Rock, NC and had a wonderful time touring the Blue Ridge Parkway, Linville Caverns and Linville Falls on Sat. Canyon is a great restaurant in Blowing Rock.

As far as traffic, we came in on 421 from Boone, NC and had no problems getting to Bristol. We were on the HWY 30 minutes after we got to our car after the race and I would call that success (important because we drove to Charlotte that night)! Thanks again!

Things great about the Bristol experience (my only previous races have been at Texas).

1. Short track racing
2. Awesome view of the entire track. No need for Binoculars
3. Great crowd. Not afraid to cheer/boo. You can also hear the entire crowd.
4. Jr's nation was in force (not a Jr fan here, but awesome to see). Personally, I would not die my hair red and shave a #8 into the back of my head.... To each his own.
5. View of pits. We were on the backstretch and had several important cars right in front of us (McMurray, Gordon, Johnson, Marlin, etc.)
6. Bristol hospitality can't be beat
7. Awesome Sharpie durable marker giveaway in the parking lot
8. Walkway where we could see the drivers after the race on the way to the driver's paddock (Johnson, Jr, Jarrett, Stewart, Petty, Sauter, Mayfield, etc..)
9. Traffic was not horrible
10. And most important - A wonderful weekend with my wife and girls (ages 11 & 9) touring a part of the country we have never seen before (Eastern TN & Western NC)

Things I missed at Bristol
1. Sensation of speed you get at Texas on those first few laps of the race or after caution before the field strings out
2. NASCAR's decision to run so many laps under yellow to clean the track - TWICE! Can I say 1 word... BORING - Race to the finish. Cleaning the track is for Hockey games with the Zamboni
3. Smoking all around us. Smokers - don't take this personally. I would just love a no smoking section to reserve tickets.

You guys who are going to Texas this weekend have a great time. My pocketbook won't do this 2 weekends in a row. If you need some tips on backroads to get there, post up.

Aggiewes

Great report --- brings back memories of my trip to Thunder Valley. :)

I'm heading to TMS this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like rain --- but, what else is new. We haven't had a good weekend since racing began there.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Mar 31 2004, 02:25 PM
I'm heading to TMS this weekend. Unfortunately it looks like rain --- but, what else is new. We haven't had a good weekend since racing began there.
Not true... Last year was beautiful... maybe a litle windy on Saturday, but georgeous on Sunday.

OK, TonyB --- one weekend out of how many bad ones? LOL

I'm doing my anti-rain dance as I speak.

I think the high wind made me think it was bad last year. My seats are so high that it's colder than a well-digger's behind even on sunny days.

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Mar 31 2004, 05:52 PM
I'm doing my anti-rain dance as I speak.
I'm not wasting my energy. I'm going to need it for running backa nd forth between my seats and under stands....

As of 4:02 PM CT

Friday's forecast calls for rain to start right around time to qualify....

Saturday has rain aorund race tiem clearing into the even...

Same for Sunday...

Better make sure I pack the rain coats :angry:

And don't think I'll be need any of these => B)

Isn't there a family section at Bristol where there is no smoking or drinking allowed? I thought I saw that on the tour I took last year. I could be wrong though.

Theres a no drinking section, but theres no non smoking section.

Glad you had a good time and trip Aggiewes. It is always interesting to read the excitement in posts from first time "at the track race fans" and those who have been to races previously but are visiting a different track for the first time.

You saw some beautiful sections of some nice states. If there were a selection of places to visit in this nation, you picked some of the nicest. Now if only we could get rid of the pollution in the Smokies and Raleigh, which has one of the highest pollution counts in the nation................... we could add clean air to the list of attractions to North Carolina. :D

Beautiful country in that neck of the woods. That's the fartest I have ever been in TN. And Sun evening after the race the traffic wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Moved along faster than Talladega traffic. :cheers:

NM88Fan,

As stated above, there is a "no alcohol" section at Bristol. There is not a no-smoking section. I will try and get our tickets moved to the no alcohol section in the future (probably is considerably less smoking in that section).

We did not get tickets there this year because this was our first year in the Bristol "ticket lottery" and we took what we could get.

By the way, I have lobbied Eddie Gossage and the folks at Texas for a family friendly section at TMS. They didn't listen to me this year. Last year someone in front of us smoked "500 miles" of cigarettes. Needless to say, my 8 year old was turned off. Now no need for letting me know that it is their right to smoke. TMS is a smokin' track so I agree. I just wish that Eddie and company would have a family friendly section. My other reason for a family friendly section is I believe it would cut down on the "middle fingers" and ridiculous cursing at the enemy driver. Something I don't want my kids (much less myself) to hear. I know, I know... it's part of NASCAR. I am not asking for the entire track..... Just a "family friendly" section for those of us who don't want our kids to have to deal with that kind of behavior.

Officially off my soap box!

Have a great weekend at TMS!

Aggiewes

Thanks Turtle and Aggiewes for setting me straight on that, at least I was half right, which is pretty good for me.

Back
Top Bottom