Clint Bowyer: "...fair isn't even in our NASCAR handbook"

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
I wonder how big of a fine this is.

Well the entertainment value is there. There isn’t anything fair, you know fair isn’t even in our NASCAR handbook really. You check fairness at the gate when you come into these racetracks. So is it fair? Probably not. There is a lot of racing that goes into getting into the chase, a whole seasons worth. To decide it all and a championship in one race seems pretty wild, but hey other sports do it every year.

I hope to be there come that final race. It’s one of those things like in the Super Bowl where a dropped ball in the beginning and it was a safety right off the bat and they (Denver Broncos) never really did recover. That’s the one thing you take a chance on something as simple as a flat tire or a loose wheel could take one of the guys out of the championship on the first lap of the race. I think you’ll have years that are crazy exciting and I think you’ll have years that aren’t very exciting at all. That is just the gamble you take in this type of situation.

Link

at least this time, he tells the truth.

works for me, they either love it or hate it around here. Drivers will be the same probably depending on how they stand and what happens. I haven't missed listening to "had a good points day" and I also haven't missed from way back, a driver having it all sewed up with 5 races to go.

Know what else isn't fair? Having an entire conversation, according to the author, and only getting one inflammatory quote published. Them's the breaks, I guess.

But seriously, racing isn't fair. I'm sure a lot of people will be all "Blah blah blah the new points system sucks etc." But the cars aren't equal. The finances aren't equal. They never have been, and I don't want them to be.

Besides, if only we had the chance to ask Davey Allison how fair 1992 was. Lost his brother in a testing accident, broke his ribs at Martinsville, got concussed winning The Winston, re-concussed at Pocono (along with breaking his arm, wrist, and collar bone), and still showed up to the final race at Atlanta with a shot to win the title ... only to get taken out by Swervin' Irvan. Yeah, this racing stuff is pretty fair.

Know what else isn't fair? Having an entire conversation, according to the author, and only getting one inflammatory quote published. Them's the breaks, I guess.

But seriously, racing isn't fair. I'm sure a lot of people will be all "Blah blah blah the new points system sucks etc." But the cars aren't equal. The finances aren't equal. They never have been, and I don't want them to be.

Besides, if only we had the chance to ask Davey Allison how fair 1992 was. Lost his brother in a testing accident, broke his ribs at Martinsville, got concussed winning The Winston, re-concussed at Pocono (along with breaking his arm, wrist, and collar bone), and still showed up to the final race at Atlanta with a shot to win the title ... only to get taken out by Swervin' Irvan. Yeah, this racing stuff is pretty fair.
The main difference between now and 1992 though is that in '92, six drivers were eligible for the championship going into the last race because that's how the first 28 races played out, not because some goofball hit a reset button. I wouldn't wish Davey's 1992 on my worst enemy, but at least the opportunity was there for him to build a bigger points lead than what he had going into Atlanta that year.

finally some push back from someone on this. I couldn't believe no one really complained about one final race deciding it all. I think they should have added 2 more races to the chase. that way you have a 3 race final round just like the other rounds instead of a winner take all race. I do think this was an attempt to make it harder for JJ to win the title. The problem as I see it is its just once race and just one race dilutes what is done in other races AND it means more chance of someone winning it that didn't earn it at other points in the season. I really hate to see an entire championship come down to fuel mileage OR ONE pit call. it turns the title into a big race rather than a championship of an entire season. If for whatever reason in the past the championship came down to the last race that was because it hadn't been decided over the course of the season before that, thats different than a resetting of the points to create drama. The chase up till this point hasn't really changed the outcome of the title that much. this will

Maybe the interviewer should have asked Clint if Kyle Busch feels things are fair.... ;)

In all seriousness agree with the poster who mentioned fairness in sports. It does not exist. In the NFL, they make rules that hamstring the defense like you can't interfere with the receiver catching the ball, etc.

Sports is about entertainment...and...giving fans something to complain about....;)

Other drivers spoke out about the changes when it was first announced. I'm too lazy to go back and look it up but I remember posting it in one of the previous Chase threads.

It took him a while but Brian finally came up with his sure fire game #7 moment each and every year. For me, the legitimacy of the Championship was lost beginning in 2004 with the inception of the Chase. Any and all comparisons to past Champions under the more recent format simply can't be made.

I don't read anything into what Clint said for or against the current chase. He hopes to be in it. The last run for it all might be a barn burner or a yawner or something in between. Probably like the Superbowl, hardly ever lives up to the hype, but everybody makes money.

Other drivers spoke out about the changes when it was first announced. I'm too lazy to go back and look it up but I remember posting it in one of the previous Chase threads.

It took him a while but Brian finally came up with his sure fire game #7 moment each and every year. For me, the legitimacy of the Championship was lost beginning in 2004 with the inception of the Chase. Any and all comparisons to past Champions under the more recent format simply can't be made.
I think it was Kyle Busch and Carl Edwards who questioned the format when it was introduced, IIRC.

For me, the importance of the championship diminished with the advent of the chase format. Now that it's decided by Russian roulette, I don't really care who wins.

It's amazing how much The Chase has altered our perception of certain drivers. Get rid of The Chase and Carl Edwards is likely a 2-time champion, Harvick has one, Gordon has 6 and Johnson only has 3.

With The Chase, we have Johnsonmania.

For me, the importance of the championship diminished with the advent of the chase format. Now that it's decided by Russian roulette, I don't really care who wins.
Exactly. "Cup Champion" lost it's significance when The Chase was implemented. Now I just enjoy the racing, track by track because the season, as a whole, doesn't matter anymore.

I think that's correct.
And I think it was Harvick who had the idea of resetting to regular Chase points once you're eliminated, so even if you're eliminated in the first round you can still finish as high as 5th in points. I think the original idea was that if you were knocked out in the first round you could finish no higher than 13th in points, no higher than 9th if knocked out in the second round, etc.

We have already had situations like Boyer mentioned, but it involved two cars instead of four. Stewart and Edwards in the last race for the championship. Stewart had a hole knocked in his grill and went to the back and had to pass everyone, 118 cars, and win the race in order to be the champion and did so. Johnson and Kez wasn't as exciting. Kez had a pretty good lead on Johnson at homestead. Kez's car wasn't that great at the first of the race, almost got caught up in a wreck that would have could have lost the championship to Johnson, and it looked like Johnson with a good night had a chance. But Johnson had car trouble and it turned into can Kez finish in the top 15 or something like that. Four cars has the possibility to be a good race.

More accomplishment is received on wins now, rather than the championship.

Before the Chase, during most years, the championship was down to a few cars by Sept. When the Chase started, one bad race and you were done. I'm looking forward to see how the new format turns out. The worst that will happen is that we can watch 10 races.

The stats are there to play with; I also enjoy those on this forum who like to post alternative championships using different point systems.

It's amazing how much The Chase has altered our perception of certain drivers. Get rid of The Chase and Carl Edwards is likely a 2-time champion, Harvick has one, Gordon has 6 and Johnson only has 3.

It's done more damage to our perception of the 26 regular season races meaning anything.

this

Everybody knew the rules, Johnson just performed better and beat them.

Back
Top Bottom