Cup RACE thread --- Chicago Street Course

I’m still jacked from that race, that was too much fun and the race thread was fun as well. Felt like I was at a bar with my buddies watching
Big shout-out to everyone here! This was one of the best race threads in years. Everyone mostly kept it cool and respected other's opinions.

And now, just because I feel like it, one of my favorites …

IMG_0950.jpeg

Y’all underestimate how good that series is, the talent that’s in it. And their platform is closer to the Cup car than anything else.
I think his point is how bad the NASCAR series is. Can you think of any other sport where a guy comes in and on the first night smashes his opponents in a variation of the sport he’s good at. Bad look for NASCAR imo.

I think his point is how bad the NASCAR series is. Can you think of any other sport where a guy comes in and on the first night smashes his opponents in a variation of the sport he’s good at. Bad look for NASCAR imo.
People are forgetting how good Marcos Ambrose and Juan Pablo Montoya were on road course.

As well as Robby Gordon and Wally Dallenbach.

NASCAR road courses races are littered with a few decades of ringers who have come in and done little. One first-time winner says more about those other 'experts' than it does the Cup regulars.

On the surface, sure.

But really, look at it. Is it that reasonable that a driver who races road courses every single week, for years, in a car that is remarkably similar to a cup car, comes into a cup car that has championship speed....at a track no one else has been to...and dominates?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

These guys are in their wheelhouse when they come do this stuff. They’ve been racing those types of cars on those types of circuits full time their whole career. NASCAR did not really start to lean into road courses until five or so years ago, besides the token events at Sonoma and Watkins Glen. Drivers coming up through the stock car ladder don’t really race these tracks on a somewhat regular basis until they hit Xfinity. So I think it’s different than if it were to happen on ovals.

A lot of NASCAR drivers have some amount of dirt background and dirt ringers really have yet to make an impact at races like Bristol, Eldora, Knoxville like SVG and Ambrose have done.

On the surface, sure.

But really, look at it. Is it that reasonable that a driver who races road courses every single week, for years, in a car that is remarkably similar to a cup car, comes into a cup car that has championship speed....at a track no one else has been to...and dominates?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This.

NASCAR drivers have never had to respect course limits before.

It wasn’t a death penalty to make a mistake, but it was costly.

Sorry bud, the deathbedding won't work in this case

1688351074001.png

There were a handful of drivers that could run with SVG today but they all took themselves out or got taken out. Bell and Larson got put back in traffic by the track blocking wreck, Truex and Reddick crashed themselves. It’s not like SVG stomped them, it just happened to be that he was the one guy that made no mistakes.

There were a handful of drovers that could run with SVG today but they all took themselves out or got taken out. Bell and Larson got put back in traffic by the track blocking wreck, Truex and Reddick crashed themselves. It’s not like SVG stomped them, it just happened to be that he was the one guy that made no mistakes.
100%

Also let’s not be absurd here, Kyle Larson has a legit shot to win the Indy 500 next year. I think our guys could win a Supercar race and now vice Vera’s
I wish Cup drivers would have more opportunities to race different disciplines but when you’re racing pretty much every weekend for nine months there’s not much that can be done besides midweek paved and dirt short oval racing. There are a lot of other things that I imagine would be cool to see them in.

Shane is a champion in his own right, has tons of experience not just road racing but STREET RACING, which is different from most road courses. He also had a heck of a race car prepared by Trackhouse. I give him credit for driving a great race, but this shouldn’t take anything away from NASCAR regulars.

Back
Top Bottom