Cussin On Scanners

kat2220

Super Moderator
Staff member
NASCAR won't police scanners for profanity
By Marty Smith, Turner Sports Interactive

DARLINGTON, S.C. - Inquiring NASCAR fans yearn to know why Nextel Cup Series rookie Johnny Sauter can be penalized for using the "s" word and most popular driver Dale Earnhardt, Jr. can use the word "damn" without repercussion.

According to NASCAR vice president for corporate communications Jim Hunter, the two words aren't comparable.

"Our president, Mike Helton, when he first addressed this issue at Rockingham, made it a point to say hell or damn, depending on the context in which it's used, is sort of acceptable," Hunter said.

"Those two words appear in different forms as a means of expression. Those are subjective. (They're okay) as long as they don't use them in a demeaning or scathing fashion. The other word is simply not acceptable."

Both drivers used profanity in post-race interviews. But Sauter's comment following the Las Vegas Busch Series race that Michael Waltrip was "three-wide, doing stupid (expletive)," was considered demeaning.

Conversely, Earnhardt's comment after winning the Golden Corral 500 at Atlanta -- "I don't care if I don't see my own bed for two damn months" -- was not.

Hunter also said Friday that NASCAR has no intent of policing profanity on race scanners, a recent burning question stemming from the crackdown on profanity by the Federal Communications Commission.

NASCAR's focus is to assure drivers refrain from cursing on live television and/or radio.

"The scanner issue is a separate issue," Hunter said. "People have a choice on whether to tune in on a scanner or not. We're cautioning our guys to be mindful, but scanners are a fun part of this sport, and they're big boys. They know what's going on."

"We don't want our network partners to be put in a position of getting a huge fine for something one of our guys say," Hunter said.

"The scanner issue is a separate issue," Hunter said. "People have a choice on whether to tune in on a scanner or not."

Exactly. The teams warn you that language is not meant for those under 16. If you listen, you may get an earfull.

well, they finally got one right, although they did penalize Todd Parrott a few years back when he was crew chief for DJ.

And, TRL, that is sooooooo true with some of them. While at the race at Texas 2 yrs ago, the one that was rained out and finished on Monday, we let this kid, about 9 or 10 yrs. old, sitting in front of us listen to the scanner. He had never listened before so he was thinkin' that it was pretty cool to listen. I don't remember what the incident was, but Jr. was involved. He was NOT happy about something and let the F-bomb fly. I snatched the headset off this kid so quick he completely forgot what was said, and just looked at me with saucer eyes because I had just scared the bejesus out of him! It was rather humerous, but I knew at that time that the traffic on the scanner was about to get kinda heavy and maybe even a little more foul. I let him listen again a little later.

Originally posted by bowtie@Mar 22 2004, 03:43 PM
well, they finally got one right, although they did penalize Todd Parrott a few years back when he was crew chief for DJ.
Yes, they did, bowtie, but the conversation was on TV.

Originally posted by majestyx@Mar 22 2004, 03:43 PM
. I don't remember what the incident was, but Jr. was involved. He was NOT happy about something and let the F-bomb fly.
Shawna Robinson wrecked him in turn 2 after a restart, I was listening to that to MAj. :eek:

Originally posted by bowtie+Mar 22 2004, 03:47 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Mar 22 2004, 03:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--majestyx@Mar 22 2004, 03:43 PM
.&nbsp; I don't remember what the incident was, but Jr. was involved.&nbsp; He was NOT happy about something and let the F-bomb fly.
Shawna Robinson wrecked him in turn 2 after a restart, I was listening to that to MAj. :eek: [/b][/quote]
I was pretty sure that was what happened, but I didn't want to say it and be wrong. He did have some rather choice words to say that day, didn't he???

Two race tickets: $220.

Parking, soft drinks, hot dogs: $30

Lodging, gas, beer, souvenirs: $200

Scanner rental: $20 (I guess)

Hearing Rusty Wallace call Tony Stewart a mother%$!@ing idiot: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's RacingRadios. ;)

Originally posted by majestyx@Mar 22 2004, 03:51 PM
He did have some rather choice words to say that day, didn't he???
Yeah he did, he embarrased me. ^_^

Originally posted by bowtie+Mar 22 2004, 04:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Mar 22 2004, 04:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--majestyx@Mar 22 2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah he did, he embarrased me. ^_^ [/b][/quote]
I'm so sure of that~ ^_^

Well, to be truthful, he learned the words from The Man. LOL

DE could fling the F-bomb with the best of them. At Darlington one year --- a rain-shortened race --- he started with NASCAR and worked his way down. LOL

Originally posted by TexasRaceLady@Mar 22 2004, 04:18 PM
Well, to be truthful, he learned the words from The Man. LOL

DE could fling the F-bomb with the best of them. At Darlington one year --- a rain-shortened race --- he started with NASCAR and worked his way down. LOL
He did that at Texas one year too. It was the year that Gordon crashed so hard in turn 4. I fianlly took my headset off (and thats no lie). I got tired of listening to that. They had the wrong gear in the car and he was pizzed. He started with RC that day and went every which way but loose. ^_^

Originally posted by majestyx+Mar 22 2004, 04:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (majestyx @ Mar 22 2004, 04:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -bowtie@Mar 22 2004, 04:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--majestyx
@Mar 22 2004, 03:51 PM

I'm so sure of that~ ^_^ [/b][/quote]
I not sure how to take that your Majesty. <_<

Originally posted by bowtie+Mar 22 2004, 04:56 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bowtie @ Mar 22 2004, 04:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -majestyx@Mar 22 2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by -bowtie@Mar 22 2004, 04:08 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--majestyx
@Mar 22 2004, 03:51 PM

I'm so sure of that~ ^_^
I not sure how to take that your Majesty. <_< [/b][/quote]
;) :wub:

Back
Top Bottom