Darlington #2 Pre-Race Thread

Hocevar is going to get tested this weekend.
It could be as much of an audition for him as driving the 9 was for Lajoie earlier this year.
I know how bad Legacy has been this year, but that could still be a good car any given week tbh.
And this is the one track Erik Jones could probably enter Hocevar’s truck on Sunday and still have a chance to win, so he should be expected to have a decent result in camprison. Or at least not be completely awful.

He didn't say he had one, how about you?
I vote sit an ice tray under your balls. New Ice every pit stop via the stick they use to reach them water bottles with to help it from melting.
Also mail be a puppy training pad as a seat cushion underneath for when it does still melt.

I love it when people use terms like 'a different breed', as if these guys were voluntarily not using power steering or cool suits. If they could have had them, they would have used them.
They didn't have either. Comparing some of the drivers that race today in Nascar with power steering and cool suits, I don't think some of them would have chosen to race back in the day when there wasn't all of the comforts and driving hazards that were present.
Ned Jarrett retiring in his early 30's because he thought his number was coming up. Multiple drivers dying. I do think they were a different breed.

I love it when people use terms like 'a different breed', as if these guys were voluntarily not using power steering or cool suits. If they could have had them, they would have used them.
No doubt, but don’t let that take away from the level of toughness required to manhandle those beasts. I wonder if little men like Larson, Reddick, and others could even last multiple races in similar equipment and conditions? That’s no knock on them..it was just a more brutal experience back then.

No doubt, but don’t let that take away from the level of toughness required to manhandle those beasts. I wonder if little men like Larson, Reddick, and others could even last multiple races in similar equipment and conditions? That’s no knock on them..it was just a more brutal experience back then.
Drivers today have learned a lot more about physical conditioning (looking at you, Mark Martin). Overall, they're probably in better shape than previous generations.

One stress that today's drivers don't have was the duration of the races. Many races have been shortened but even regarding those where the distances remain the same, yesterday's cars were slower. Hustling a Gen7 around 500 miles at Darlington today goes by faster than it did in Cale and David's day.

1693661537072.jpeg

I don’t completely agree here. You used to get a little bit of a breeze back then with the car and the intervals are significantly closer than they used to be. The cars are nowadays a damn oven and you’ve gotta be dialed in for every single lap

1-2-3. T-R-D. See ya tomorrow! **** yes!!!!!!!

Toyota 1-2-3....No Chevys in the Top 10.....an Xfinity win.....It has been a good day!

The Darlington home viewing plan.

- Do all honey do's prior to the race, including meals etc...
- Set a bottle of Gerbitol maximum stength 12 hour XR (extended release) capsules near the TV set. You will need be sure you have a minimum of 4 of the XR capsules on hand for the race.
- Set another bottle of Gerbitol maximim strength tablets with a minimum of 12 tablets at the same location. These will help with a needed immediate release.

IMPORTANT![/B] If you do not have enough Gerbitol you must go to the store and buy enough before the race. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO LISTEN TO THE GERBILS WITHOUT TAKING YOUR GERBITOL! DO NOT LISTEN TO DAVE MOODY AS AN ALTERNATIVE

- Some very limited exceptions are permitted: Listening to the Gerbils without taking the precautionary Gerbitol has been approved by board of health if you will be watching the race alone in total isolation away from other humans. You should also ensure that you are away from any pets, and social media, as well as removing any sharp objects, or firearms from your viewing location.
You should also identfy at least one contact support person to call upon if matters become overwhelming. Be sure to only call upon someone who is stable and has a high emotional maturity IQ.
You should also have some soft throwables on hand for any anticipated uncontrolled responses.

Before the green flag: Set up a PC nearby to keep the leaderboard displayed during the race. This will help to minimize a need to listen to the gerbils.

- Take 2 Gerbitol XR capsules during the command start your engines.
- Lap 50 take 2 Gerbitol tablets.
- Continue with taking two Gerbitol tablets every 50 laps. At lap 200 take the two remaining XR capsules rather than tablets.
Lap 250 continue with two tablets every 50 laps.
Take two more 2 gerbitol tablets when the caution happens after lap 360 to ensure your are safe for the extended GWC's.

Track position is always nice but the track and ambient conditions during practice and qualifying are a lot different than what they are for a 500-mile evening-night transition race. Erik Jones won from 15th last year, Hamlin finished 2nd from 11th.

Track position is always nice but the track and ambient conditions during practice and qualifying are a lot different than what they are for a 500-mile evening-night transition race. Erik Jones won from 15th last year, Hamlin finished 2nd from 11th.
Hope it is hawternhell. It will make tire wear more important, divers more prone to fight, and a better while watching in the living room with the AC on.

Seriously I love this track, it hard to know where to start. You can overshoot the apex in one and two and make the pass work, or the other car might get you back with a crossover pass.

As always I hope for long green runs. Even if someone gets a huge lead. It is like watching some type of art if given enough time to deploy the different strategies. Especially if things like short pitting becomes a factor.
The closing speeds are a great thing to watch as well. The lady in black and Darlington stripe.
There is nothing else like it in the world.

Transferred to a new store for work, and now I’m working Sundays! 😡. I suppose I could hide out in the restrooms for the last three hours of my shift and watch the race on my phone.
Bring a full gallon jug of water in with you. When someone else comes in, pour the water in loudly and groan a lot, so it sounds like you have the trots.

It looks incredibly warm there not gonna lie

Back
Top Bottom