driver apreciation

Are crew chiefs/engine builders/etc underapreciated???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

smack500

I watched the nascar imax film recently, and this subject cought my atention. During the film kyle petty said something about this.

If your car isnt faster then everyone elses, if you cant get good position when comming out of the pits, if you dont get good advice, you most likely wont be a championship contender. All everyone wants to talk about is the driver, but theres alot more envolved in racing then the driver.

For example alot of people say jeff isnt as good as he use to be. I personally think robby loomis isnt verry good, and alot of other people from his old team have left that make a big diffrence in how the team preforms. Theres several other examples, I mean I have herd nascar fans call drivers idiots because there cars ran out of fuel during several races in one season.

97 has been talking about some certain drivers, who will be winning just about all the races in the next few years. If you take those guys out of there high financed teams, and stuck them with field filler teams or even teams like the 15 or 32 do you seriously think they would preform on the same level?

Next time a congrats thread is made for a drive who won, count how many times you see the crew chief,pit crew members, or engine builders names mentioned.

I think as far as most fans go, that is true. That said, "most" time a congrat thread is posted you do see lots of congrats to driver & team. Maybe not naming CC, engine builder, tire man etc specifically but not the less ackowledging them.

It's like any other sport. Tom Brady or Bret Favre get hailed as heroic. Hard to be heroic when yer on yer back because the line doesn't block. Conversely, when things go bad, the QB takes the brunt of the criticism, earned or otherwise. If Kurt Warner throws 6 interceptions, how are we to know that 4 of them were due to the receiver running a wrong or bad or slow route?

I voted YES.
I agree with smack500 about Robbie Loomis lacking somewhat in the CC dept.,how many times does Jeff Gordon run among the leaders and is leading laps,then comes in for adjustments and starts falling backwards shortly thereafter,happens too often IMHO,but Jeff is committed to Robbie and crew so I just hope that the communication gets better,although They did win the 2001 Championship together,let's not forget. :D I've also seen on several occassions when Robbie and crew will take a round of wedge out(for example)only to back the round back out on the next pit-stop,this indicates mis-communication at times to Me ;) Jeff did lead the curcuit last season in laps led with 1,639 laps led,as He also did in the 2001 season,of course,so He's still very capable of running up front,just seems that the correct adjustments at the correct times aren't happening as often as when Ray Evernham was the CC,JMO ;)
I'm a JG fan :eek: ,but I couldn't name any of the crewmen,but like EMP said happens in other sports also,the driver is at the point and is the visible team member on the track so They do and should get the most attention,although as any driver will tell U,it's certainly a team effort.I've always thought that any driver's pit-crew that is fastest overall during the race should receive 5 points as an extra reward,also to show the importance of Their dedication,performance and support of Their driver ;)
EMP makes a great point about the QB's in football taking most of the heat when a team does poorly,even within a team that is more dedicated to the running game and where that QB is not quite as important.I can name most of My fave NFL team's players however,just perhaps not all the nickle and dime players,I sure couldn't name all of the assisstant coaches and etc.,but do always know the head coach and offensive and defensive coordinators names anyway ;)
I'm rambling again,oops :eek: :lol:

I think they are, you alway hear the driver's thanking the whole team.

I say yes, but only in a way. The drivers are the stars, most winners have their Crew Chiefs in Victory Lane with them, and the rest are "supporting characters".

Remember, this isn't a movie, it's a business. How many TV or Movie stars thank everyone?....they can't....there isn't time!

Back
Top Bottom