Earnhardt intended to retire in 2002 ?

T

the5car

http://www.chron.com/cgi-bin/auth/story.mp.../06/25/vet.html

".....The most inspirational message about the power of Corvette's name and its participation at Le Mans came with an emotionally charged letter to the race team from Teresa Earnhardt, wife of late NASCAR Winston Cup great Dale Earnhardt. Distributed to drivers prior to the race, the letter related Earnhardt's intentions of retiring from Winston Cup racing at the end of 2002 and driving a C5-R for one season, starting in 2003.

"Apparently, the C5-R has more soul than anything he had ever been in before," she wrote, then noted Corvette's 50th Anniversary as a perfect opportunity for Corvette to shine among the world's best cars.

"You've given a lot of people pride in owning their Corvettes and you've renewed the American threat in international endurance racing."....."

That would have been cool to see! I mean him in the Corvette team! Before the 2001 daytona 500 my brother and I were talkign about when we thought he might retire. WE both said if he would have won his 8th cup in 2001 that he would announce that 2002 would be his last year. I guess we were pretty close!

I don't think Earnhardt had any thought of reiireing before he got that 8th cup. My opinon only.

Originally posted by Gollum@Jun 28 2003, 12:45 PM
I don't think Earnhardt had any thought of reiireing before he got that 8th cup. My opinon only.
I agree 100%.

I dont think it was a matter of whether he wanted the 8th Championship or not, I think he wanted to wait until Dale Jr. matured into a champion which he is now to retire and I think that does coincide with his intention to retire after 2002. He already really did everything in his career by winning 7 Championships, 76 wins and winning the thing he prized above all those accomplishments, The Daytona 500. However, it wouldve been neat to see him win 8 Championships to further solidify his position as the Greatest in NASCAR history.

The eighth championship was a challenge to him, just like everything else he went after. In the beginning, Dale Earnhardt had no idea how to handle his success in racing. Once he learned to deal with that, he hired Don Hawke as his business manager. Hawke guided Earnhardt's success and provided the foundation that made DEI what it is today. Earnhardt was always up for the challenge and once he attained the seventh championship, his drive was for the eighth championship because nobody had ever won eight before. His desire to win the Daytona 500 was great because with everything else he won, that eluded him.

IMHO, Earnhardt would have known when it was time to quit. Unlike Waltrip and Petty, both of who did damage to thier reputations and records by failing to produce the last years they raced.

As for the letter from Mrs. Earnhardt, it makes great publicity for General Motors and especially Corvette.

I didn't see him retiring before that 8th Cup, either.

I would have loved to see him drive for Corvette. I watched most of the Rolex 24, and watching DE drive competetively in the rain was something else.

Back
Top Bottom