ESPN

Jeffrey00

Stamos Cozy
Don't know if TNT was just that bad, or if ESPN actually did a decent telecast. If they finish the season like they did today then I think they will go out with a bang and leave NBC something to actually live up to.

I like ESPN's coverage and I'm disappointed that they're done after this year, but I'm not surprised. They aren't really a NASCAR network and were never going to be.

ESPN usually puts on their broadcast for the Brickyard 400, then goes down hill. Let's see if that holds to form the next few weeks. Next week will be a big challenge too.

It used to be the races weren't televised. The internet wasn't yet invented, so the people that couldn't afford to travel to the race to see it live didn't have an open forum to bitch about the races not being televised.
Now that the races are televised the same people that couldn't afford to travel to see the races live finally have an open forum to bitch about the fact that the races that they can't afford to travel to, aren't being properly televised.
Ahhh...technology. :)

With the amount of commercials they show the race coverage better be good

ESPN's coverage has been solid for the past five seasons or so. Their graphics are clean, the commentators are solid, the production is top-notch and ESPN's picture quality, in SD and HD, is far superior to FOX and ESPN.

I'm watching the baseball game on ESPN right now in standard definition (on my HDTV) and the picture is better than FOX is in HD. The score ticker on ESPN is clear and the text is clean whereas the ticker on FOX Sports isn't negligible at all in SD and is barely readable in HD. During the race, what I saw of it before going to sleep that is, I could read the ticker at the top without any problems whereas the boxes at the top of the screen on FOX are very hard to read, even in HD.

For the record, the ESPN broadcast I'm watching right now through my standard definition cable box -- 480i, through RCA cables, and the TV is on the "Cinema" setting which crops and zooms, which normally distorts the picture quality, so the picture fills the screen. And on every picture quality setting, the picture is still clear and crisp.

ESPN has something figured out.

For the record, the ESPN broadcast I'm watching right now through my standard definition cable box -- 480i, through RCA cables, and the TV is on the "Cinema" setting which crops and zooms, which normally distorts the picture quality, so the picture fills the screen. And on every picture quality setting, the picture is still clear and crisp.

ESPN has something figured out.

ESPN has it figured out because their job is a sports network trying to bring the best sports coverage. Fox and TNT are TV networks that also show sports. They show sports to advertise their other programming.

ESPN has it figured out because their job is a sports network trying to bring the best sports coverage. Fox and TNT are TV networks that also show sports. They show sports to advertise their other programming.

I was reading something about ESPN a while back and that they only shoot the races in 720p, while every other sports network uses 1080i, because the progressive scan captures high speed action (a 95 mph fastball, a 320 mph dragster, an 84 mph slapshot) better than typical 1080. Which is probably why the picture looks better, overall, even in SD.

ESPN's race coverage is good, but I'm not a big fan of the network as a whole. I hate how they just fixate on a handful of players/teams, some of which aren't even any good.

ESPN's race coverage is good, but I'm not a big fan of the network as a whole. I hate how they just fixate on a handful of players/teams, some of which aren't even any good.

I loved watching SportsCenter the other day. It was like 45 minutes of Johnny Manziel and five minutes of actual sports highlights. Although, FOX Sports Live is getting pretty bad as well.

I loved watching SportsCenter the other day. It was like 45 minutes of Johnny Manziel and five minutes of actual sports highlights. Although, FOX Sports Live is getting pretty bad as well.
At least Tony Romo's getting a break. Now they're off of his nuts and latched onto Johnny's.

Really? I thought there were a lot of commercials. There were 2 commercial blocks before the competition caution on lap 20!

jeff......did abc sell off espn ?

comin soon....... nfl crankin up ......mlb into playoffs......
races will get red headed stepchild status from espn as usual.

fine w/ me !
just happy we got so much racin ta watch these days !

do think ol rusty needs a little more ear....ta brain...ta mouth ....trainin tho !
maybe dw will help him . :D

And ESPN isn't using NASCAR to advertise other programming? They have more advertisements for Monday Night Football and Sunday Night Baseball than they have for upcoming NASCAR races. And watch ESPN during the week. It'll be all Johnny Manziel, LeBron James and baseball highlights. I watched an entire baseball game on ESPN and there was no promotion of the next NASCAR race.

Hell, NBC and NBCSN spend more time promoting NASCAR, which they don't air for another ****** year, than ESPN does.

I use cable to watch the live/taped events. I use the internet for news and highlights now.

ESPN is widely known to have an "eastern bias" ESPN is based I believe in CT. I know for NFL, it is widely criticized that ESPN favours the Pats, and packers.

I agree with the other posters though who said that ESPN is a sports network, not a TV network doing sports. They have a vested interest in doing what they do, well. They dont show a lot of non-sports TV.

ESPN is widely known to have an "eastern bias" ESPN is based I believe in CT. I know for NFL, it is widely criticized that ESPN favours the Pats, and packers.

I agree with the other posters though who said that ESPN is a sports network, not a TV network doing sports. They have a vested interest in doing what they do, well. They dont show a lot of non-sports TV.
I think ESPN has more of a "big city" bias than an east coast bias, with New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, and Dallas being the primary targets of their affection. The exception being the college sports, where ESPN has a megahardon for the SEC in football and the ACC in basketball.

Wow, I don't know your source, but if true that is awesome and you could tell. Also ESPN doesn't take away a 3rd of the screen for their banner.
if you notice in the race thread, there was much less complaining about commercials. TNT went past the normal fans breaking point for putting up with commercial interruptions, you hardly could follow the race. And then the stupid ticker that never was showing the positions you were wanting to see. And the blinking off topic crap on the screen, somebody needs a bitch slap at TNT

if you notice in the race thread, there was much less complaining about commercials. TNT went past the normal fans breaking point for putting up with commercial interruptions, you hardly could follow the race. And then the stupid ticker that never was showing the positions you were wanting to see. And the blinking off topic crap on the screen, somebody needs a bitch slap at TNT

TNT's already got their bitchslap right out of the sport thanks to NBC.

ESPN's coverage was solid.

ESPN > FOX > TNT

ESPN confirmed earlier this week they're going to have Non-Stop during the Chase again. Also, FOX needs to pick up Ricky Craven after this year.

Hell yes to Ricky! Hell yes!

Another solid broadcast. Will be a shame to see them go.

ESPN will piss themselves if this championship comes down to Gordon and Jr.

I prefer ESPN to anyone else that covers NASCAR. I really like DJ and Andy Petree in the booth. They sound like real racing broadcasters that takes me back to the days of Buddy Baker. Not a bunch of trying to be funny junk (the Waltrips) or the "mad at the world stuff" (ie Kyle Petty).

Back
Top Bottom