Fire Safety measures for NASCAR

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
I was happy to see the auto extinguishers worked well in Patricks crash, but something worries me--she said fire got to her glove a bit...why did they take some time to come on? Can the sensors for those things be damaged? Is it possible that they should be relocated? Just concerned.

We know they have black boxes to reconstruct accidents:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-...y-hub/nascar-mobil1-technology-black-box.html

That was the beginning of the Incident Data Recorder, or "black box," in automobile racing.

Today, NASCAR supplies each of the cars in the three national racing series with an updated version of that recorder. In the event of a crash, big or small, NASCAR officials are able to retrieve the data and details of the crash, including the rate of deceleration when the car hits a barrier

upload_2016-5-2_6-58-53.jpeg

AerocoupeFireSuppressionSystem-vi.jpg

What happens if that bottle is comprised?

We do see here:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-...scar-edu/nascar-basic/Inside-the-****pit.html

http://static.nascar.com/content/dam/nascar/articles/2013/12/03/main/****pit-main.jpg/jcr:content/renditions/****pit-main.jpg.main.png

That the fire extinguisher is switch 17. The driver can engage this themselves and it has a sensor. In Danicas case she had a hard hit and I dont know if she could have found the switch to switch it on earlier.

I just hope NASCAR learns from this.

The system is imperfect. The best place to smother a fire is at its base and in this application, it's impossible to know where that might be. That said, it's been a long time since anyone suffered a burn injury.

NASCAR also needs to hire some physically fit safety workers. How many times do I have to watch some 300+lb walrus waddle over to a burning car or driver in need of immediate attention? It's absolutely ridiculous.

NASCAR also needs to hire some physically fit safety workers. How many times do I have to watch some 300+lb walrus waddle over to a burning car or driver in need of immediate attention? It's absolutely ridiculous.
NASCAR needs to adopt the approach that IndyCar has used. Full-time safety workers and medical crew that travel with the circuit and have the drivers' health records on hand.

^ I agree Charlie.

NASCAR needs to adopt the approach that IndyCar has used. Full-time safety workers and medical crew that travel with the circuit and have the drivers' health records on hand.
I can't remember how many IMSA teams were furious after Grand-Am and the ALMS merged and NASCAR got rid of the traveling safety team that the ALMS had in place since 1999. Something like three cars burnt to the ground, the Memo Gidley/Matteo Malucelli incident was handled horrendously, and that was just 2014.

The best fire safety is to put in a few more pounds of air pressure or camber and have fewer yellows

Back
Top Bottom