For Whizzer and the rest of his "posse".

L

LUKE'57

I've got a couple of things to say and then I'll let you have your little club back. You may think you are the only one who really knows what happened back then but I go back to the '50's also.

Most of the drivers from that era would be considered "dirty" by today's standards but it was just par for the course in those days. Even the Petty car had wingnuts holding the doors shut and Lee ripped more than his share of sheetmetal with'em. I never said Turner was a saint but it's not right to single him out as the dirtiest driver on the planet.

It seems to me that the fact that I wanted to post a picture of one of my cars and say something nice about someone you seem to hold a grudge against started all the fur flying. From some of the other's comments and your reply it seems you are the attack dog around here. I build models and shoot these pictures for enjoyment and to honor my friends who happen to be the pioneers of my favorite sport. And yes, I have met, known, broken bread and partyed with these guys so don't try to tell me about what kind of people they were.

As I said before, I enjoy sharing my models and my photography and the stories about the old days but this place has ceased to be fun. I can get hassled and harrassed at work, I don't need it here. So I bid farewell to this little corner of the net. Please accept my humble appollogies for any mischief I may have caused. I hope you have a nice life.

Well, I suppose I could be considered part of old Whizzers " posse".....No need for hard feelings here, its all in good fun.

Although on second thought,I am Whizzers friend,Luke...not a part of any 'posse'...just wanted to clear that up.

Luke'57, I'm sorry you feel the need to "bid farewell" as you have put it. I am not quite sure what exactly in Whizzer's post that upset you. When I read what he posted, I got a better feel for who Curtis Turner was. You see, I wasn't around in the 50's and had absolutely no idea who he was. But, you must do what you feel is right for you.

But, please, do not generalize those of us here as a "posse". We are a group of faceless folks who congregate on a message board who have disagreements and opposite opinions.

I hope you reconsider your leaving, I do enjoy your pictures. :cheers:

Luke, my original post was not a "grudge" response. It was my observation of Curtis Turner in combination with the story written by a current day media member and posted within the same thread. My second post was in response to the insinuation I was a coward. First time that has ever happened in 67 years and a comment like that could turn most anybody into an attack dog.

As for the other members of this forum, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "posse" or "club" that I am aware of on this website.
Most everyone here is pretty independent and they manage to present thier point without going overboard or getting personal. It has happened and when it did, the moderators were pretty quick about jumping in, usually via private message.

You are correct when you mention the "dirty" part of driving and how it was commonplace during the Curtis Turner era, however, I think you read much more into the post than was intended or implied.

If your answer to past events is to leave this forum, that is solely your decision. There is always room for an old timer who has the warehouse of knowledge you have and who might be willing to share those recollections with newer fans and other older guys. You are unique since not everyone can say they broke bread and partied with some of the older drivers.

It would be unfortunate for those who find an interest in your models and photographs if you were to leave. Those models and photos are an asset to any forum and a wonderful part of the history of this sport we know as NASCAR.

Should you change your mind and decide to stay, I hope you will put this behind you.

Back
Top Bottom