FOX Inks Deal

NASCAR rides hot rights market to increase with Fox

Fox and NASCAR have finalized an eight-year extension of their TV rights agreement, ensuring that Fox will continue to air the Daytona 500 and first half of the NASCAR season through 2022.

Sources valued the deal at more than $2.4 billion over eight years, a sizable increase from Fox’s current eight-year, $1.76 billion agreement. The network’s new eight-year extension will see it retain the broadcast rights for 13 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races and the entire Camping World Truck Series.

The deal also includes TV Everywhere rights, which will allow Fox to stream its races to a Fox Sports-affiliated website. These streaming rights have become a standard part of media deals.

A formal announcement could come as soon as today.

Complete story here.

So much for the thought that the deal would be for less with the declining ratings.

Good to see that the Truck races will all be handled by FOX. Probably most on their newly branded Speed Channel and some on the network itself.

Streaming the race too. :cool:

Great to see Fox has a positive attitude about Nascar .So much for declining numbers .That's about 30% increase in revenue.

Downside: We still get both the freakin waltrips, and that stupid cartoon digger. Well thats what the mute button is for, any of the three come on and its ignore button time. Upside: Glad the sports future is believed to be secure enough for such a contract,the prospectus would be an interesting read if shortened and converted to understandable laymen english. Congratulations to the contract team.

NASCAR rides hot rights market to increase with Fox

Fox and NASCAR have finalized an eight-year extension of their TV rights agreement, ensuring that Fox will continue to air the Daytona 500 and first half of the NASCAR season through 2022.

Sources valued the deal at more than $2.4 billion over eight years, a sizable increase from Fox’s current eight-year, $1.76 billion agreement. The network’s new eight-year extension will see it retain the broadcast rights for 13 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races and the entire Camping World Truck Series.

The deal also includes TV Everywhere rights, which will allow Fox to stream its races to a Fox Sports-affiliated website. These streaming rights have become a standard part of media deals.

A formal announcement could come as soon as today.

Complete story here.

I am glad to see this. I was afraid the sport was going to struggle getting a contract with anyone.

From the sounds of what I'm hearing on NASCAR Radio this morning it seems as though all of the networks are showing interest. The over the air ones, CBS, ABC, NBC.

In reading some Twitter comments from Mike Joy last night, it seems the NASCAR portion of SPEED isn't dead as has been predicted. He said practice and qualifying will still be covered by them. He also said they had an interest in keeping F-1, NBC just outbid them for it.

How important is the TV deal? In 2011, ISC earned $204.5M in TV money. Its entire admissions revenue was $144.4M

The current breakdown of TV $$$: 65% to track, 25% to teams (purse), 10% to NASCAR.

That will be a lot more money for those teams to share. Maybe some of the S&P's will be able to buy an extra set of tires? :rolleyes:

Here's some more on this deal. The complete version can be found here.

FSMG’s new and expanded television and digital media rights agreement with NASCAR includes, but is not limited to:

- An eight-year term from 2015 to 2022. The current FSMG/NASCAR rights agreement began in 2006 and runs through 2014
- Thirteen (13) consecutive points races beginning with the Daytona 500 on FOX
- The Daytona Shootout; Duel at Daytona; NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race; and Daytona 500 Qualifying
- Full NASCAR Camping World Truck Series season
- Right to televise all practice and qualifying sessions for FSMG races
- Ability to re-telecast races on a FOX network and via video-on-demand (VOD) for 24 hours
- Right to ancillary programming including, but not limited to, a nightly NASCAR news and information show as well as weekend at-track shows
- Right to NASCAR branded pre- and post-race shows
- Extensive digital rights beginning in 2013, including:
-TV Everywhere – live digital distribution of all races FSMG has rights to broadcast
- Pre- and post-race coverage
- Race highlights
- In-progress race highlights
- Replays of FOX-televised races

The current breakdown of TV $$$: 65% to track, 25% to teams (purse), 10% to NASCAR.

That will be a lot more money for those teams to share. Maybe some of the S&P's will be able to buy an extra set of tires? :rolleyes:

I can't believe team owners settle for 25% when they finance most of the business by bringing in team sponsors.

Here's my fear dpk. NASCAR left open the option for Fox to make their Fox sports channels a pay package to get this increase. Fox will probably try to charge cable companies a high price to carry Fax sports network, and we'll all ge thru the 'drop it until they make an agreement' nonsense right in the middle of the season.

Here's my fear dpk. NASCAR left open the option for Fox to make their Fox sports channels a pay package to get this increase. Fox will probably try to charge cable companies a high price to carry Fax sports network, and we'll all ge thru the 'drop it until they make an agreement' nonsense right in the middle of the season.
Here's my hope Fender. I'm listening/watching the FOX races streaming on my NASCAR app on my Android phone not having to worry about any of that but your scenario is probably closer to being correct.

Here's my hope Fender. I'm listening/watching the FOX races streaming on my NASCAR app on my Android phone not having to worry about any of that but your scenario is probably closer to being correct.

I hope not, but there is a chance we end up paying for a bunch of crap we have no interest in.

It doesn't say how many races they'll do. I'm guessing FOX will probably pick up some of TNT's races since it's not looking likely they'll be back -- but maybe they will.

I'd like to see NBC or CBS come in and pick up Nationwide though.

Great! Maybe this means you won't be bitching about those races on R-F either.

Yeah, FAT CHANCE!

You know damn well (as do we all) that not only will you watch, you bitch the whole damn race about it.:rolleyes:

Unless TNT makes changes to, well, everything, there's not much of a chance I'll watch. :)

FOX is paying a lot of money... too much. I wonder if NBC or CBS was trying to outbid them and they had to go higher -- or if they went higher to retain exclusive broadcast rights for the Daytona 500.

Its too bad one network can't have all the races. Honestly I'd rather watch the TNT races on the CW with the cast of The Vampire Diaries calling the race. Couldn't be any worse than TNT.

Do the cast members of The Vampire Diaries shout in a Kermit The Frog sounding monotone voice or say "that's incredible man" 9,000 times an hour? If not, that sounds much better than TNT.

FOX is paying a lot of money... too much. I wonder if NBC or CBS was trying to outbid them and they had to go higher -- or if they went higher to retain exclusive broadcast rights for the Daytona 500.

Get ready to pay for Fox sports network just to see 8 or 9 cup races.

Back
Top Bottom